Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Which characters really need an origin retelling?

Over the last few decades, a whole bunch of characters have had origin retellings - some of them many (I'm looking at you Superman!) But there are a few characters who I feel have been pretty underrepresented in the 'updated origin' department, or who could definitely do with a fresh retelling in the current scenario.

So which characters do you think are in need of an origin retelling?

Here are some of my picks:

Barry Allen: Its kinda shocking that Barry hasn't had a modern origin retelling like...ever. Rebirth of course revisited his origin with that HUGE retcon about his mother. But Barry has never had that detailed re-examination of his early career that Batman, Superman, WW, GL etc. all had. I think a 'Flash Year One'-esq miniseries or story-arc is WAY overdue!

Black Canary: I honestly don't think Black Canary has had a memorable origin-story one can easily point out, which is a shame, considering that she's one of DC's most iconic characters beyond the Big Seven, and certainly one of DC's most iconic female characters. And given the whole legacy aspect to her character, and how its grown quiet convoluted after all the retcons and timeline changes, I think Dinah could definitely do with a definitive and streamlined origin.

Cyborg, since his current one takes place at the same time as him joining Justice League. It needs changing so that he joined the Teen Titans originally instead, and joined the JL later on.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Donna Troy. She needs to be tied back into Wonder Woman, and it needs to be done correctly.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Black Canary: I honestly don't think Black Canary has had a memorable origin-story one can easily point out, which is a shame, considering that she's one of DC's most iconic characters beyond the Big Seven, and certainly one of DC's most iconic female characters. And given the whole legacy aspect to her character, and how its grown quiet convoluted after all the retcons and timeline changes, I think Dinah could definitely do with a definitive and streamlined origin.
    Canary's origin could be tied heavily into whatever is going to happen with the JSA. But you are correct that she does need something whether she's tied to the JSA or not.

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Donna Troy. She needs to be tied back into Wonder Woman, and it needs to be done correctly.
    Seconded. Supergirl's could probably stand to be redone too. Her current history makes pretty much no sense since its counting New 52 stuff, whereas Superman's history threw it all out.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Boisterously Confused

They actually did that, but it was a long time ago, and they've since thrown Black Canary's story into a couple of different blenders. So, yeah, I think you've got a point.

images.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Clear up Hawkman and Hawkgirl once and for all.

Do what they want with the Golden Age Hawks but give us back Katar and Shiera Hol.

BANNED

Green Lantern.

Give Hal, Guy, John and Kyle their rings at the same time and call them equals. Say that everything that's ever made them look bad never happened. Make Sinestro the killer of Abin Sur, so there will be no more efforts to make him a hero. Find something different for Baz and Cruz to do. Flush the emotional spectrum. Keep the Guardians off-camera except for very rare occasions. Keep Hal on Earth almost all the time. Software is making test pilots obsolete, so give Hal another profession that involves speed and danger, like race car driver. Make Guy something like a former pro football player. Don't make Kyle a god.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-10-2018 at 12:57 PM.

I take it you don't read that many comic books?

Besides the issue of DC Special Series #10 in 1978 (and if you haven't seen that story before, try http://blackcanaryfan.blogspot.com/2...nary-1978.html), as well as those two issues of Justice League of America back in 1983 that first introduced the "mother/daughter" concept for Black Canary, the post-CoIE origin(s) for both Black Canaries was retold/clarified back in 1990's Secret Origins #50.

During the New52, we got a glimpse into the revised backstory of Black Canary in Birds of Prey #25 (January 2014):

And then in 2015, Secret Origins #11 had her origin.

There may also be versions I'm not familiar with.

So, until they pin down whether there was still a separate Golden Age Black Canary with the (currently unaccounted for) JSA, and if/how that Black Canary may-or-may-not be connected to the one we have been reading about since DC Universe: Rebirth, I don't think we need/want any more origins for Black Canary yet.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Dan Garrett: Blue Beetle
    I'd be curious to see Blue Beetle Dan Garrett brought back into things. Dead is never dead. I'd like to see the Blue Beetle legacy deepened by exploring Dan and updating his role. He could be a Jay Garrick or Alan Scott legacy hero or more retired advisor like Ted Knight(Starman I).

Uno: Aztek
    I'd been wanting the return of this character and instead DC has presented Nayeli Constant to us. So Uno's updated/revival is on hold awhile longer.

Jean Paul Valley: Azreal
    DC has been cranking out other Azreal's of late but JPV is left in limbo. He's the Ben Reilly of DC legacy heroes as Reilly only recently started getting some due again at Marvel.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    Dan Garrett: Blue Beetle
    I'd be curious to see Blue Beetle Dan Garrett brought back into things. Dead is never dead. I'd like to see the Blue Beetle legacy deepened by exploring Dan and updating his role. He could be a Jay Garrick or Alan Scott legacy hero or more retired advisor like Ted Knight(Starman I).
    I'd love to see Garrett worked into the DCU, but we might be better off if they leave him in the past. See Green Lanterns as a cautionary tale about too many characters with the same power.

That said, with the JSA coming back, there might be room for a character like the original BB in their history, especially if there was an All-Star Squadron back in the day.

Extraordinary Member

I think many of the classic Golden Age JSA Charcters could need one.

Donna Troy - where she finds out the WMD vat-of-boiling-clay origin was a lie and she's restored to adopted Amazon.

Classic JSA- once returned, we'll need to re-establish their backstories, hopefully with minimal changes.

Tempest- since his return late in the nu52 we really haven't gotten an origin of any sort.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I think many of the classic Golden Age JSA Charcters could need one.
    Unfortunately, I'm afraid many of DC's current writers would just butcher those "revised" origins (just like Geoff Johns f#@&ed-over Barry Allen by adding the unnecessary "dead Mommy" retcon).

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Classic JSA- once returned, we'll need to re-establish their backstories, hopefully with minimal changes.
    I want to see a maxi-series about the formation of the JSA!