Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I want to see a maxi-series about the formation of the JSA!
    Yeah, I love Roy Thomas, but I'd really like something more sophisticated than he gave us 35+ years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I want to see a maxi-series about the formation of the JSA!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Yeah, I love Roy Thomas, but I'd really like something more sophisticated than he gave us 35+ years ago.
    I really don't think a "maxi-series" is needed.
    And for those of you who don't know your JSA history, it was Paul Levitz, not Roy Thomas, who first wrote "The Untold Origin of the Justice Society" back in DC Special #29 (cover-dated September, 1977).
    And he only needed 34 pages to tell that tale.

Roy Thomas wrote the revised, post-CoIE version (which, among other things, had to eliminate the Golden Age Batman and Superman) for Secret Origins #31 (October 1988).

It does frustrate me sometimes how everybody thinks Roy Thomas is the one responsible for almost EVERYTHING having to do with the Justice Society of America, when in fact Paul Levitz was responsible for many of the stories with the team in the late 1970s. Levitz was also the writer who first told the story of their last 1950s adventure in front of the HUAC hearing when they chose (at least in original, pre-Flashpoint versions of the story) to vanish.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I really don't think a "maxi-series" is needed.
    And for those of you who don't know your JSA history, it was Paul Levitz, not Roy Thomas, who first wrote "The Untold Origin of the Justice Society" back in DC Special #29 (cover-dated September, 1977).
    And he only needed 34 pages to tell that tale.

Roy Thomas wrote the revised, post-CoIE version (which, among other things, had to eliminate the Golden Age Batman and Superman) for Secret Origins #31 (October 1988).

It does frustrate me sometimes how everybody thinks Roy Thomas is the one responsible for almost EVERYTHING having to do with the Justice Society of America, when in fact Paul Levitz was responsible for many of the stories with the team in the late 1970s. Levitz was also the writer who first told the story of their last 1950s adventure in front of the HUAC hearing when they chose (at least in original, pre-Flashpoint versions of the story) to vanish.
    Some of my favorite JSA stories were from that era. Especially the HUAC story because it put a finale on the Golden Age.

Thomas wrote the mini on The Trial of The JSA (forget the exact name...Batman vs. The JSA?) that recapped the JSA's golden age history didn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    . . . Thomas wrote the mini on The Trial of The JSA (forget the exact name...Batman vs. The JSA?) that recapped the JSA's golden age history didn't he?

A trade paperback collection of that four-issue series was published in 2015.
    The original series was published in 1984-85, and it retold practically all the adventures of the group (or at least the Golden Age ones; it's been years since I re-read that).

5887796-tiger.jpg

Bronze Tiger

We haven't really gotten a real Aquaman origin story in a long time.

Johns and Parker have given bits and pieces of it, but not an origin story on par with Year One or others.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    We haven't really gotten a real Aquaman origin story in a long time.

Johns and Parker have given bits and pieces of it, but not an origin story on par with Year One or others.
    Then again, for the New52 there was

and

And I really fail to see why people think any-and-every-character requires a multi-issue maxi-series for the damn origin story.
    Sometimes, a well-written origin story can be done in one (or maybe two) issue(s).

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    5887796-tiger.jpg

Bronze Tiger
    I really don't think he needs a new origin but a updated retelling would be nice.

Tempest becuase his is vague as of right now.

Wally West. I always thought him having the same origin as Barry was kind of lazy. I like Greg Weismans take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I really don't think he needs a new origin but a updated retelling would be nice.

Tempest becuase his is vague as of right now.
    I think they could take parts from his original origin but I think they need to redo his origin. Less brainwashing and I was never too big on his origin being so heavily influenced by 70s blaxploitation/kung fu era so maybe scale it back a bit. I think they rely too heavily on far-eastern martial arts in popular culture, it would be cool to use him as a chance to explore other lesser known fighting styles from around the world. Something akin to Samurai Jack's training but more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    . . . I was never too big on his origin being so heavily influenced by 70s blaxploitation/kung fu era . . .
    I never really felt his origin was "heavily influenced by 70s Blaxploitation" era; he was definitely a product of the 1970s kung fu / martial arts fascination, but he was also a buddy/partner of a white Richard Dragon, making it more of an integrated cast of characters (which also started to slowly happen more often in the 1970s).

Then again, I was still in my early teens when I bought issue #1 off the spinner racks back when it originally was published.

Damian Wayne. That rape business needs to go. If it is to stay then at least have an arc where Bruce confronts Talia about it. The way he was so okay and chill with someone violating him like that is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I never really felt his origin was "heavily influenced by 70s Blaxploitation" era; he was definitely a product of the 1970s kung fu / martial arts fascination, but he was also a buddy/partner of a white Richard Dragon, making it more of an integrated cast of characters (which also started to slowly happen more often in the 1970s).

Then again, I was still in my early teens when I bought issue #1 off the spinner racks back when it originally was published.
    Yeah, maybe blaxploitation was a poor choice of words. I tend to compound the kung fu era with blaxploitation because blaxploitation and movies like The Last Dragon were my introduction to that era film.

Extraordinary Member

Deadman and the Sensai, I really think that they need to sort out the mess writers did by using them without caring for what was going on in the "main storyline" of Deadman.

And I also think that they should do something with the Richard Dragon, Bronze Tiger and Shiva. Who have a similar problem.

I'd love a Barry Allen year one. Maybe each issue could pin him against a member of the Rogues with a finale that culminates in their first team up against Barry. Hopefully something that doesn't contridict Born to Run so that the two can be read back to back.