Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, I take it your solution to all this is to drop Simon and Jessica, then have Hal undergo gender reassignment via his Power Ring?
    (Hey, if Arisia Rrab could use her ring to suddenly age herself from a teenager to an adult so she could have sex with Hal, . . . just sayin' . . . )
    I've been expecting the Transgender Corps to debut for a while now. I can't understand what's delaying them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I've been expecting the Transgender Corps to debut for a while now. I can't understand what's delaying them.
    Would they have rainbow power rings?

Incredible Member

Sir, AIRLINE pilots are no longer needed. The only reason they still have jobs is that the public would be afraid to fly on a plane with no pilot.

Who is going to keep paying test pilots when software can safely test a plane? Maybe you would. Even though pretty soon there won't even be any jobs for truck drivers.

The purpose of giving the Lanterns their rings at the same time is so that there won't be a hierarchy among them, which guarantees that only one of them (at most) can sell a comic.

And this is what's ridiculous:

HAL JORDAN AND THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS #47 $2.99 DC 27,825 -- the all-time low sales for a comic starring Hal.

GREEN LANTERNS #48 $2.99 DC 23,994 -- a number that will continue to drop after Hal joins the cast.
    The military and civilian airlines both still use pilots and test pilots. As long as there are human passengers, there will be human pilots. Fighter aircraft, which Hal is a test pilot for, continue to use pilots because there is no substitue for human experience and decision making. That and they still lose contact with unmanned aircraft and that's not really how you want to run an air war. The military has moved to more drones but even those are operated by humans on the ground. You are talking about something that you seem to have little to no experience with.
    As for Hal, he's been the star of a comic for decades and for a while was one of the top sellers at DC. The problem isn't the character, it's the stories. When was the last time he really did anything on Earth? When was the last time that he was in a relationship? It's just been nonstop space action that is cool for a while but does tend to lose it's luster after a while. There needs to be character development and the current writers aren't delivering that.

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    Donna Troy. She needs to be tied back into Wonder Woman, and it needs to be done correctly.
    This 100%. Everyone at DC needs to sit down with each other and decide once and for all what her origin is and how she is tied to Wonder Woman. This has been such a ridiculous issue for way too long. Just say she's Diana's little sister and she followed her out into mans world when she got a little older. Simple as that instead of the constant shifting sands her 3 past origins have been built on.

Though I did like the Dark Angel origin story.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    This 100%. Everyone at DC needs to sit down with each other and decide once and for all what her origin is and how she is tied to Wonder Woman. This has been such a ridiculous issue for way too long. Just say she's Diana's little sister and she followed her out into mans world when she got a little older. Simple as that instead of the constant shifting sands her 3 past origins have been built on.

Though I did like the Dark Angel origin story.

I did like her new 52 origin (sue me people) because it was different.

I reckon John Stewart needs an updated one. I want it more to do with the current issues or issues he would have faced being a minority in modern America.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Talon1load View Post
    The military and civilian airlines both still use pilots and test pilots. As long as there are human passengers, there will be human pilots. Fighter aircraft, which Hal is a test pilot for, continue to use pilots because there is no substitue for human experience and decision making. That and they still lose contact with unmanned aircraft and that's not really how you want to run an air war. The military has moved to more drones but even those are operated by humans on the ground. You are talking about something that you seem to have little to no experience with.
    As for Hal, he's been the star of a comic for decades and for a while was one of the top sellers at DC. The problem isn't the character, it's the stories. When was the last time he really did anything on Earth? When was the last time that he was in a relationship? It's just been nonstop space action that is cool for a while but does tend to lose it's luster after a while. There needs to be character development and the current writers aren't delivering that.
    Well, you think there will keep on being test pilots. I don't think you know any more about that than I do, as you're suggesting, but you can got ahead and think so. Meanwhile though, Google is your friend:

http://theavion.com/opinion-obsolete-pilots/

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/07/s...ut-pilots.html

http://longbets.org/4/

And yes, the GL stories have not been good. But the problem runs deeper than that. It's not always a matter of "just put Geoff on it," which some folks think will cure what ails any comic.

Hal was not the star of Green Lantern for 10 years, during which time it sold well. So the idea that the comic has to revolve around him got thrown away a long time ago, with surprisingly good results. And the verdict is in now that Hal certainly can't carry a franchise as the central figure, which is what Johns superstitiously thought he could do. He thought that "Hal" was some sort of magic word.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-15-2018 at 04:18 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeMonster View Post
    John Stewart

Guy Gardner

I'd like a 6 issue origin story for each.
    Updated origins for those two are long overdue.

John, Guy, Hal and Kyle all need a new origin, and it can be done at the same time.
    I think Hal's origin is fine, personally. The origin for Kyle works so long as the Parallax stuff stays.

I like that Guy & John's origins are tied to Hal. I think Hal should be the first, followed by Guy, John, Kyle, etc. Just do away with Hal always being on top of the food chain, and show how the other GL's bring unique talents to the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I reckon John Stewart needs an updated one. I want it more to do with the current issues or issues he would have faced being a minority in modern America.
    I agree.

Anyone whose last origin was pre-Crisis. Anyone who is considered a big player or a big part of the DC universe and their origin story is only found in one issue from like the 90's. Every single Robin just to explain how Batman has had so many sidekicks and isn't sixty yet. Like a miniseries titled "Robins".

Lois Lane, just because I personally want a pre-Superman Lois as a super reporter uncovering some big plot before anyone could swoop in and save her. Really show that bravery and quick wit. Because she's my favorite non-powered female character and it would be neat.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Falcon Rider is the Mongolian Super Hero with powers to speak with the horse and ride with raptors

Green Emrald is an Indian Super Hero with a mystery and mystical twist
    But we're still waiting for you to reveal WHERE (comic book title and issue number) they've actually appeared.

(Or maybe somebody else can tell us if they know anything about these characters?)

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Anyone whose last origin was pre-Crisis. Anyone who is considered a big player or a big part of the DC universe and their origin story is only found in one issue from like the 90's. Every single Robin just to explain how Batman has had so many sidekicks and isn't sixty yet. Like a miniseries titled "Robins".

Lois Lane, just because I personally want a pre-Superman Lois as a super reporter uncovering some big plot before anyone could swoop in and save her. Really show that bravery and quick wit. Because she's my favorite non-powered female character and it would be neat.
    That Robins series sounds awesome. I would love to see that.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

John, Guy, Hal and Kyle all need a new origin, and it can be done at the same time.
    This is as bad of an idea as bringing the Legion into the present day(which is what Vril Dox 2's Legion is for, btw).

Take away Guy being picked second and you undermine his whole character. And I say that with Guy being my all time favorite comic book character. What you are proposing would be Guy in name only. Guy had the worst string of luck of just about any character I can think of. It made him an underdog that I rooted for as he climbed up and overcame his situation and became an unlikely hero.

I wouldn't want to read about this character you're trying to invent whole cloth and call Guy Gardner.

Having Kyle get his ring at the same time as Hal? Again it completely undermines who and what Kyle is. This would be like Bruce becoming Batman without his parents getting killed to motivate him. You may as well replace him with Charlie Vicker and be done with it.

The only one I could see getting his ring at the same time as Hal is John.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    This is as bad of an idea as bringing the Legion into the present day(which is what Vril Dox 2's Legion is for, btw).

Take away Guy being picked second and you undermine his whole character. And I say that with Guy being my all time favorite comic book character. What you are proposing would be Guy in name only. Guy had the worst string of luck of just about any character I can think of. It made him an underdog that I rooted for as he climbed up and overcame his situation and became an unlikely hero.

I wouldn't want to read about this character you're trying to invent whole cloth and call Guy Gardner.

Having Kyle get his ring at the same time as Hal? Again it completely undermines who and what Kyle is. This would be like Bruce becoming Batman without his parents getting killed to motivate him. You may as well replace him with Charlie Vicker and be done with it.

You're doing what a lot of fans do. You're embracing status-quo bias (Google that term, please) and not thinking about selling more comics, which is what DC has to do.

DC isn't making any money from the LoS, and hasn't for a long time. You like it the way it is now, but does DC? Of course not. So your liking it is irrelevant.

Making Guy the second pick for a Lantern is why he can't sell a comic. And making Kyle the placeholder Lantern after Hal has returned is why Kyle can't sell a comic either. There's nothing sacred about the way it's set up now, especially when it keeps comics from selling.

"Undermining characters" who aren't selling comics is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about fixing characters who aren't selling comics, so that they can sell them.

"I like it the way it is, even though the LoS, Guy and Kyle, and the Martian Manhunter aren't making one cent for DC" is a silly objection to change. Objection overruled.

This is not about fan bias in favor of a status-quo that's irrational and is making no money. It's about DC selling comics.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-16-2018 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post

Only change I'll have for Guy is a better haircut.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Only change I'll have for Guy is a better haircut.
    Would that improve the sales of Green Lantern, which are terrible? Probably not.

"I want to continue making no money with this property because I like it" is not a proposal that any businessman will listen to. You wouldn't listen to it if you were running a business. If someone who you supervised in your company said that to you, you'd fire him unless he were a relative of yours.

You're doing what a lot of fans do. You're embracing status-quo bias (Google that term, please) and not thinking about selling more comics, which is what DC has to do.

DC isn't making any money from the LoS, and hasn't for a long time. You like it the way it is now, but does DC? Of course not. So your liking it is irrelevant.

Making Guy the second pick for a Lantern is why he can't sell a comic. And making Kyle the placeholder Lantern after Hal has returned is why Kyle can't sell a comic either. There's nothing sacred about the way it's set up now, especially when it keeps comics from selling.

"Undermining characters" who aren't selling comics is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about fixing characters who aren't selling comics, so that they can sell them.

"I like it the way it is, even though the LoS, Guy and Kyle, and the Martian Manhunter aren't making one cent for DC" is a silly objection to change. Objection overruled.

This is not about fan bias in favor of a status-quo that's irrational and is making no money. It's about DC selling comics.
    Hell, with all your logic, they should have a mini-series where Hal, John, Guy, Kyle, and ALL the Green Lantern Corps / all of the Guardians / all of the other spectrum corps are erased from existence/memory FOREVUH and just start again with a single being finding a ring that does cool things.