Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Superman in Young Justice.

With a new season coming up, do you think the show should just drop the mentors altogether or do you want to see them, particularly Superman, play a bigger role in the show? Conner is in college in the show so it's not like he really needs Superman anymore. And with them time jumping so far ahead in the second season, we didn't really get to see their relationship grow. Supposedly the comic went into greater detail into their relationship after season one. Batman and Green Arrow played decent roles in the show but others like Superman and Wonder Woman were more side characters than anything else. I don't like the way Superman came across in the show, particularly the first season, and I'd kind of like to see him "redeemed" so to speak. But with Conner more or less aging out of needing a mentor and becoming one himself, I don't think the show really needs Superman or any of the others anymore. Which seems kind of a waste given how good their Luthor was. I suppose they could put Supergirl in the show but I don't know what the legal hangups are there. What do you think?
    Assassinate Putin!

Incredible Member

I think one the shows strong point is the interaction between the Justice league and the team so I cant agree with dropping the mentors.

I enjoyed seeing the younger generation of heroes interact with the Justice Leaguers. Also, Superman needs help appealing to a new generation of fans so I hope he plays a big role in the next season. One of the only things I really disliked about Young Justice was how standoffish Superman was when he found out about Conner. Totally out of character. Superman wouldn’t hem and haw and avoid the kid. He’s one of the most compassionate people on the planet. He would have offered him assistance and guidance.

If they do a time skip, I would actually like to see Conner embrace the Superman legacy and wear a more traditional costume.
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-10-2018 at 07:03 PM.

I'd be happy to see him interact more with Conner, but the League were always more hands-off besides Batman (of course he's the one they push).

No like the dynamic in the past season they stay as mentors and help with the really big problems show not really about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I enjoyed seeing the younger generation of heroes interact with the Justice Leaguers. Also, Superman needs help appealing to a new generation of fans so I hope he plays a big role in the next season. One of the only things I really disliked about Young Justice was how standoffish Superman was when he found out about Conner. Totally out of character. Superman wouldn’t hem and haw and avoid the kid. He’s one of the most compassionate people on the planet. He would have offered him assistance and guidance.

If they do a time skip, I would actually like to see Conner embrace the Superman legacy and wear a more traditional costume.
    In the comics, Clark dumped Kara in foster care in their first story together. In post crisis, he left her training entirely to the Amazons. This isn't even getting into him ignoring Connor for most of his life, leaving the boy's needs to be taken care of by a money-grubbing agent. If anything, Clark's behaviour towards Connor in YJ is a lot more reasonable since he's leaving him in the care of Black Canary and Red Tornado.

I really dislike YJ Supes, not just because he disregards Kon, but because when trying to save non-English speakers from a big freakin' bomb, he shouted at them to evacuate in English, instead of trying to defuse the bomb. He's incompetent! Honestly, if there was a minor timeskip between seasons where Superman died and he didn't come back, I'd say nothing of value was lost. Superman in general is my favorite character, but the YJ permutation is a waste, especially considering how great YJ Luthor is.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I didn't care for him season 1 because while the concept of him being deeply uncomfortable with Superboy is one that I don't think is inherently wrong, I think how they went about it left something to be desired. I totally, totally, totally get and support the idea that it's not his or any of the other Justice League members' show, so getting their POVs isn't top priority, and actually does something for the grandeur surrounding them.

That said, I feel like it was a missed opportunity to not have Superboy and his team sort of play around in the iconography of Superman's world. That goes for interaction with appropriate ancillary characters from the myth too. The Forever People episode and the whole very tangible Cadmus connection being a bit of a let down in that regard because you're actively missing out on Jimmy Olsen. And sure, I'm a big Jimmy fan and whatever, but I bring this up because Jimmy is likely closer in age to Conner than Superman, but he represents someone who remains such a big fan of Superman.

Not having that advocate for a not-dick Superman really hurt his image. I look back on the last episode of season 1, and it's kind of jarring seeing Superman share his secret identity with Superboy after a whole season of being creeped out by him. And again, I get it, he had his own off screen arc, but that does nothing for me. Having Jimmy acting as a sort of advocate and clear deception of not-a-dick Superman would've gone a long way to garner some empathy, I feel. Without that all I know in the world of Young Justice season 1 is that Superman is really, really strong, and has a lot of authority.

In season 3 for Superman I don't really expect much. It's honestly pretty slim pickens when it comes to Super anything on the show, and that's fair. That's a choice the creators have made. Sucks that there doesn't seem to be a Superman related character coming in for this upcoming generation.

I'd honestly be into seeing anyone from Jon, Kara, Nat, or Kenan (that would be dope) to fill the spot. And I don't see why Superman would be mentor if we got a new Super character for the next gen. The obvious choice, to me, would be Conner in a similar fashion to how Dick is clearly Tim mentor. I don't even think Tim has a word with Batman once in the show.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-11-2018 at 01:05 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    In the comics, Clark dumped Kara in foster care in their first story together. In post crisis, he left her training entirely to the Amazons. This isn't even getting into him ignoring Connor for most of his life, leaving the boy's needs to be taken care of by a money-grubbing agent. If anything, Clark's behaviour towards Connor in YJ is a lot more reasonable since he's leaving him in the care of Black Canary and Red Tornado.
    This. The execution of Conner and Clark's dynamic might be debatable, but the idea of Clark struggling with family is a very, very well established aspect of his character that covers multiple media formats and continuities. If Clark had just accepted Conner with open arms, *that* would have been out of character for him.

As for season 3, I don't really expect much from Clark at all. If he gets a few speaking lines and a couple solid cameos and dialogue with Conner, that's all I'm looking for.

I'm far more worried about the screen time the original Team members will get. New faces are always welcome, but I really missed the focus being on Dick, Kaldur, Conner, Wally, etc last time around.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    I'd be happy to see him interact more with Conner, but the League were always more hands-off besides Batman (of course he's the one they push).
    They had too much Batman in the first season, but by season two, they took the training wheels off and let the other characters take the spotlight.

I honestly thought S2 was a big step down from S1, though was still good nonetheless. Not sure how I feel about S3, but the downward trend coupled with the time lapse since the show was pulled from the air makes me not that anxious to see it. Keep in mind, though, S1 is IMO the best DC animated show since the original BTAS, and I don't even liked the 'kicks.

I actually liked the way Superman intially responded. It humanized him a great deal. A normal indiviual wouldn’t be thrilled that someone secretly took their genetic material and cloned them with it. They would be even less thrilled that the people who did it turns out to be a bunch of criminal scientist.

Then when you think about how many enimies Superman has and how they could use Conner to hurt the people he loves or himself...well YJ Clark was in full right to feel how he felt at the time. To add in that world it seemed as if Conor was the first known clone ever. What does that mean to a guy like Clark Kent who grew up in a conservative environment. I would imagine that it would open up pandoras box of question for him. Questions in the nature of.... Is Conner a real human? Is Conner really a monster/weapon that just looks like me? What secrets does he have that I don’t want people to know about? How do I explain him to my parents or to Lois? I didn ask for this responsibility, am I even equiped to deal with this?

I saw all of that to an extant of how they potrayed Superman in YJ and I loved. It was very real and gave a different take on the young hero and mentor dynamic. Now in saying that...yeah I would love to see more interaction of Superman on the show. But if we don’t get it Im fine with it. Young Justice ended with it seeming like Clark and Conner had developed a more brotherly bond, I personally don’t really need a side bromance of them on the show just for the sake of seeing them get along. More interested in seeing the kids kick butt and interact.

More Arsenal, Conner,Aqualad, and Static please and thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Plus this. It has been part of his characterzation to do similar things.
    Last edited by DragonsChi; 07-11-2018 at 09:44 AM.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    They had too much Batman in the first season, but by season two, they took the training wheels off and let the other characters take the spotlight.

I honestly thought S2 was a big step down from S1, though was still good nonetheless. Not sure how I feel about S3, but the downward trend coupled with the time lapse since the show was pulled from the air makes me not that anxious to see it. Keep in mind, though, S1 is IMO the best DC animated show since the original BTAS, and I don't even liked the 'kicks.
    Others have had similar opinions. I didn't really mind the time skip to be honest, but Weisman better not end on another damn cliffhanger for S3. He doesn't know how to wrap all his plotlines up, so some things never end.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Others have had similar opinions. I didn't really mind the time skip to be honest, but Weisman better not end on another damn cliffhanger for S3. He doesn't know how to wrap all his plotlines up, so some things never end.
    I think he simply chooses not to. It's like the old analogy of a box of toys. an unfinished plot line is like taking an AF out of the toybox and posing it on the table. It's there for people to play with until you put it back in the box.

While it might be unsatisfying to viewers, it's convenient for writers since they can just pick up where it left off.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I think he simply chooses not to. It's like the old analogy of a box of toys. an unfinished plot line is like taking an AF out of the toybox and posing it on the table. It's there for people to play with until you put it back in the box.

While it might be unsatisfying to viewers, it's convenient for writers since they can just pick up where it left off.
    Which is doubly stupid for Weisman because his stuff usually only get 2 seasons and then that's it. He's never finishing Spectacular Spider-Man.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I really dislike YJ Supes, not just because he disregards Kon, but because when trying to save non-English speakers from a big freakin' bomb, he shouted at them to evacuate in English, instead of trying to defuse the bomb. He's incompetent! Honestly, if there was a minor timeskip between seasons where Superman died and he didn't come back, I'd say nothing of value was lost. Superman in general is my favorite character, but the YJ permutation is a waste, especially considering how great YJ Luthor is.
    This was a recurring problem with YJ. As much as I loved the show, they really had to make the JL a pack of chumps from time to time to help build up the focal characters of the show. Every now and then, the writing came up with good ways to occupy the mentors (such as the Injustice Gang episode in S1), but too often, they were made to look out of touch to give The Team the spotlight (tracking down Red Tornado, for example, or not swooping in when The Team lost the Amazo components)

To the OP's question, however, there are plenty of ways to include the mentors (including Superman) that make sense, but they would all be story dependent.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-12-2018 at 06:12 AM.