Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    This issue is continuing to cement the idea of Duke getting fridge, he almost had no panel time in this issue. The fact that Cassandra main purpose was for her to visit Duke after he got wrecked, and yet there was no panel time shown between the two interacting after everyone came back is giving me huge warning bells. If this doesn't shape up by next issue then I'm going to considered this arc a loss.
    I wouldn't say the arc would be a complete loss, Hill's doing a good job with the story. However, as a Duke fan, yeah it's incredible depressing it seems like they're continuing the trend that no one wants to do anything with his character in any of these stories. Based on Hill's tweet it looks like he's not going to be doing anything besides healing this arc. We could hope we does something with him if he gets an Outsiders book but at this point I've resigned myself to accepting Duke is just another Batwing.

Putting that depressing thought aside, Hill is doing an incredibly job with everyone else in this arc.

It's probably nothing, but the handles on Karma's knife and sword look an awful like the handles on a Talon's weaponry.

Enjoyed this more than I thought I would.

"Please isn't a word I often use" what an Edgelord.
    Last edited by dietrich; 07-12-2018 at 09:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I wouldn't say the arc would be a complete loss, Hill's doing a good job with the story. However, as a Duke fan, yeah it's incredible depressing it seems like they're continuing the trend that no one wants to do anything with his character in any of these stories. Based on Hill's tweet it looks like he's not going to be doing anything besides healing this arc. We could hope we does something with him if he gets an Outsiders book but at this point I've resigned myself to accepting Duke is just another Batwing.

Putting that depressing thought aside, Hill is doing an incredibly job with everyone else in this arc.
    Eh I wouldn't say that. I'm not a huge fan of the direction he's taking Batman in general. It's this gradual return of the status quo that's already too relevant in comics and I just reminds me why I enjoy Manga so much more. With that said, what tweet are you referring to from Hill?

Incredible Member

I'd be ecstatic if Karma kills some of the lesser Bat-family and I can start reading about BATMAN in this book again.

Quote Originally Posted by leo619 View Post
    Eh I wouldn't say that. I'm not a huge fan of the direction he's taking Batman in general. It's this gradual return of the status quo that's already too relevant in comics and I just reminds me why I enjoy Manga so much more. With that said, what tweet are you referring to from Hill?
    I posted the tweet in the Duke thread but a couple days ago a fan asked if we'd be seeing more Duke in this arc and Hill replied that he's gotta heal but he will play a part. I read it as that old adage "there are no small parts only small whateverwhatever.." which usually translates to very limited screentime. Especially based on the fact that Hill seems to be a bigger fan of all the other characters (Batman, Cassandra Cain, and Black Lightning) than Duke. Writers tend to focus more on the characters their fans of more than the characters they have on hand. Flash War was a perfect example of that.

I'm curious as to what you mean by a return to the status quo? This arc appears to be pretty self contained, I don't see it affecting much unless they spin it out into Outsiders.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 07-12-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    I'd be ecstatic if Karma kills some of the lesser Bat-family and I can start reading about BATMAN in this book again.
    That's....unlikely and would be super redundant. If you want a Batman-only story you should probably read Batman; Detective is the Batfamily book...

Mighty Member

That's....unlikely and would be super redundant. If you want a Batman-only story you should probably read Batman; Detective is the Batfamily book...
    I remember the good ole days when Detective was a solo Batman solving crimes and being an actual detective. What the hell happened to that book? Oh I know, they first gave it to Batwoman to boost her, then made it a "family" book. Too bad.

Ultimate Member

Lets see-other than this book-you have PLENTY of choices to read about Batman by himself.

Funny it's only an issue with Bat-Family when his son, Duke, Harper and even Cass show up. Of those 3 Duke is barley in anything to warrant the calls of boycotts of Batman he has gotten.

I posted the tweet in the Duke thread but a couple days ago a fan asked if we'd be seeing more Duke in this arc and Hill replied that he's gotta heal but he will play a part. I read it as that old adage "there are no small parts only small whateverwhatever.." which usually translates to very limited screentime. Especially based on the fact that Hill seems to be a bigger fan of all the other characters (Batman, Cassandra Cain, and Black Lightning) than Duke. Writers tend to focus more on the characters their fans of more than the characters they have on hand.
    Then he has no business in the book. They could have used anyone else to get blown out of a window. The We Are Robin kids are still around.

I think that would have had a bigger meaning than Duke-since it would be a kid inspired by HIM to fight crime. Instead of Duke. We could have gotten 2 more issue of his mini instead of this.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    I remember the good ole days when Detective was a solo Batman solving crimes and being an actual detective. What the hell happened to that book? Oh I know, they first gave it to Batwoman to boost her, then made it a "family" book. Too bad.
    OHHHH I guess you missed the period when it was Detective Comics with TIM DRAKE & Batman. When those two had adventures and met Stephanie Brown among others.

You know from issue 615-801 where he was MIA in the book only times 70 times out of 187 issues.

Batwoman was only seen 54 times (Rebirth & original Detective run)
    Cassandra has 52 (both versions of Detective Comics)
    Duke Thomas 9 cameos.
    Jason Todd 47 (volume 1)
    Dick Grayson 459 appearances (original volume) 8 (vol 2)
    Damian Wayne 15 (4 in volume 1)

There are 983 issues of Detective Comics. Batman has been in 923. At least 769 issues had his "family" with him. Meaning only 154 did not.

So where are all these solo stories in Detective Comics with Batman? Seems to me this has ALWAYS been a Bat Family book of sorts.

Astonishing Member

I posted the tweet in the Duke thread but a couple days ago a fan asked if we'd be seeing more Duke in this arc and Hill replied that he's gotta heal but he will play a part. I read it as that old adage "there are no small parts only small whateverwhatever.." which usually translates to very limited screentime. Especially based on the fact that Hill seems to be a bigger fan of all the other characters (Batman, Cassandra Cain, and Black Lightning) than Duke. Writers tend to focus more on the characters their fans of more than the characters they have on hand. Flash War was a perfect example of that.

I'm curious as to what you mean by a return to the status quo? This arc appears to be pretty self contained, I don't see it affecting much unless they spin it out into Outsiders.

That we aren't too sure. What I mean by returning to the status quo is more returning Batman personality traits, vibe, etc to the status quo. Him expanding the batfamily was an evolution for his character. "Character progression" which is such a hated idea *Cough* Batman 50 *Cough*
    So that's what I mean by status quo return. Character regression status at it's finest, the problem with this however is that the character regression may limit the screen time of bat characters who could desperately need it. We will need to see the full arc to see if he maintains this ideology, but right now, it's definitely character regression.

Oh, right, because he totally hasn't been in it at all recently. Or doesn't have a billion other places he shows up.
    Last edited by Caivu; 07-12-2018 at 03:01 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    OHHHH I guess you missed the period when it was Detective Comics with TIM DRAKE & Batman. When those two had adventures and met Stephanie Brown among others.

You know from issue 615-801 where he was MIA in the book only times 70 times out of 187 issues.

Batwoman was only seen 54 times (Rebirth & original Detective run)
    Cassandra has 52 (both versions of Detective Comics)
    Duke Thomas 9 cameos.
    Jason Todd 47 (volume 1)
    Dick Grayson 459 appearances (original volume) 8 (vol 2)
    Damian Wayne 15 (4 in volume 1)

There are 983 issues of Detective Comics. Batman has been in 923. At least 769 issues had his "family" with him. Meaning only 154 did not.

So where are all these solo stories in Detective Comics with Batman? Seems to me this has ALWAYS been a Bat Family book of sorts.
    Clapping wildly!
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Mighty Member

What do the family even contribute to Batman, what does he even need them for? And why do fans of the family even want him around when all they do is trash him and say he's overexposed. It's crazy, on one hand there's complaints that Batman overshadows everyone but then there's complaints that the family is not appearing in Batman titles. Fans should be calling for a separate bat family book free of Batman where the family can do their own thing and Batman can get his Tec title back. DC needs to separate Batman from the family for awhile.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    What do the family even contribute to Batman?
    What are you really asking?
    Does the batfamily increase the value of the IP? Yeah it clearly does.
    Does he need them to fight crime effectively? Yeah, hes just one dude.
    Does he need them as support in his own fights? Sometimes, there have been more than a couple stories where he couldnt have possibly solved the thing alone, needing to be at several places at the same time and all that.
    Does the character need supporting characters? Yeah, all characters do. Robin has been there from the beginning.

Blaming the fact that Batman doesnt have another solo book on the batfamily seems outright silly.