Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default What the Walmart Distribution means to DC Comics and the future market

BANNED

As news of the deal spread throughout the comics industry over the weekend, some comic shop owners expressed concern about the implications of a major retailer getting exclusive content from fan-favorite creators. The main sticking point isn't just competition from Walmart, which is terrifying for any small business, but the fact that comic stores will not have a way to sell content that is sure to play well with the hardcore fans who constitute the lifeblood of their customer base.

It also means that diehard fans will have to go to Walmart to read Tom King Superman stories or Brian Bendis on Batman, spending money at the retail giant that would otherwise go toward their monthly comics budget at their local shop. Walmart may not count those pennies, but they mean a lot to independent stores already operating on a razor's edge of profitability.

~~~~~

End of quote.

The thing that I find exciting here is that the mass market for paper comics has been shrinking and now we get a chance to expand that market again so that the public will have comics in front of their faces wide and large.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    The thing that I find exciting here is that the mass market for paper comics has been shrinking...
    The actual mass market for comics in America is an unknown quantity that DC and Marvel haven't been able to reach in decades.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

This could be interesting to see how well this experiment is going to work.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

I bet it won't hurt the comics shops one bit.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's not if all you put in those books are mainly Batman & Superman & their friends.

Because they will have their over ordering no matter what with stores.

Now if you were to do Supergirl, Static, OG Wally and others-you might see an issue.

I mean 100 pages for $5 with Supergirl, Static, Jessica & Simon, New Superman & Green Arrow-I have no reason to buy their floppies individually. Since they will still get individual trades probably.

Now you have an issue.

The thing that I find exciting here is that the mass market for paper comics has been shrinking
    The market is growing. It's not Lion Forge or Archie's fault stores choose to ignore them. Something like this should make a store promote other books and stop relying on two companies.

The Marvel backlash should have been a warning. You can't make a company exclude certain demos because you don't like them having books. Because what Marvel & Dc don't do-OTHERS will and many will not care if it's the adventures of Faith or Turok or Midnight Tiger instead of Black Widow or Hawkeye or Hal Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I don't think it will hurt them that much either. Most people who stumble across these in a Wal-Mart will never stumble into a comic shop. All this is a good thing imo.

Comics for awhile are always talking about new readers, new readers, new readers, but don't actually change anything aside from new story direction new title new writer etc. New product distribution and new outlets is what will get new readers.

Spectacular Member Nightcrawler92's Avatar

Default Walmart?

When do the Walmart books come out? Do we know yet?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Question1987 View Post
    When do the Walmart books come out? Do we know yet?
    Three weeks ago.