Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Default What the Walmart Distribution means to DC Comics and the future market

BANNED

As news of the deal spread throughout the comics industry over the weekend, some comic shop owners expressed concern about the implications of a major retailer getting exclusive content from fan-favorite creators. The main sticking point isn't just competition from Walmart, which is terrifying for any small business, but the fact that comic stores will not have a way to sell content that is sure to play well with the hardcore fans who constitute the lifeblood of their customer base.

It also means that diehard fans will have to go to Walmart to read Tom King Superman stories or Brian Bendis on Batman, spending money at the retail giant that would otherwise go toward their monthly comics budget at their local shop. Walmart may not count those pennies, but they mean a lot to independent stores already operating on a razor's edge of profitability.

~~~~~

End of quote.

The thing that I find exciting here is that the mass market for paper comics has been shrinking and now we get a chance to expand that market again so that the public will have comics in front of their faces wide and large.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    The thing that I find exciting here is that the mass market for paper comics has been shrinking...
    The actual mass market for comics in America is an unknown quantity that DC and Marvel haven't been able to reach in decades.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

This could be interesting to see how well this experiment is going to work.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

I bet it won't hurt the comics shops one bit.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    It's not if all you put in those books are mainly Batman & Superman & their friends.

Because they will have their over ordering no matter what with stores.

Now if you were to do Supergirl, Static, OG Wally and others-you might see an issue.

I mean 100 pages for $5 with Supergirl, Static, Jessica & Simon, New Superman & Green Arrow-I have no reason to buy their floppies individually. Since they will still get individual trades probably.

Now you have an issue.

The thing that I find exciting here is that the mass market for paper comics has been shrinking
    The market is growing. It's not Lion Forge or Archie's fault stores choose to ignore them. Something like this should make a store promote other books and stop relying on two companies.

The Marvel backlash should have been a warning. You can't make a company exclude certain demos because you don't like them having books. Because what Marvel & Dc don't do-OTHERS will and many will not care if it's the adventures of Faith or Turok or Midnight Tiger instead of Black Widow or Hawkeye or Hal Jordan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

The market is growing. .

How do you figure that?

http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html

Code:

Unit Sales for All Diamond's Comics(est., based on Diamond's reports): 	Unit Sales for Diamond's Top 300 Comic Books from each month (est.):
    	100.32 million copies
    	84.45 million copies
    	78.08 million copies
    	69.26 million copies
    	66.92 million copies
    	70.27 million copies
    	73.02 million copies
    	74.14 million copies
    	76.13 million copies
    	81.85 million copies
    	85.27 million copies
    	81.34 million copies
    2009 	78.4 million copies 	74.88 million copies
    2010 	73.8 million copies 	69.20 million copies
    2011 	77.2 million copies 	72.13 million copies
    2012 	86 million copies 	80.55 million copies
    2013 	91.8 million copies 	84.51 million copies
    2014 	92 million copies 	82.65 million copies
    2015 	98 million copies 	89.17 million copies
    2016 	99 million copies 	89.35 million copies
    2017 	89.44 million copies 	79.74 million copies
    That looks fairly stagnant with an inflation rate standnat figures as well.

I won't even touch on the numbers according to my youth, in the 60's and 70's and they were complaining then about sales that would make publishers druel today.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 07-11-2018 at 06:57 PM.

I don't think it will hurt them that much either. Most people who stumble across these in a Wal-Mart will never stumble into a comic shop. All this is a good thing imo.

Comics for awhile are always talking about new readers, new readers, new readers, but don't actually change anything aside from new story direction new title new writer etc. New product distribution and new outlets is what will get new readers.

I imagine there will be a lot of talk in my hometown of how they used to make comics 20 years ago.
    "I remember those!"
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    As news of the deal spread throughout the comics industry over the weekend, some comic shop owners expressed concern about the implications of a major retailer getting exclusive content from fan-favorite creators. The main sticking point isn't just competition from Walmart, which is terrifying for any small business, but the fact that comic stores will not have a way to sell content that is sure to play well with the hardcore fans who constitute the lifeblood of their customer base.

It also means that diehard fans will have to go to Walmart to read Tom King Superman stories or Brian Bendis on Batman, spending money at the retail giant that would otherwise go toward their monthly comics budget at their local shop. Walmart may not count those pennies, but they mean a lot to independent stores already operating on a razor's edge of profitability.

~~~~~

End of quote.

The thing that I find exciting here is that the mass market for paper comics has been shrinking and now we get a chance to expand that market again so that the public will have comics in front of their faces wide and large.
    I really don't get where LCS think that the people who actually come to their stores already will stop coming because of the Walmart comics. I've heard literally zero customers saying this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The actual mass market for comics in America is an unknown quantity that DC and Marvel haven't been able to reach in decades.
    Yup. 20-100k is a tiny number compared to the number of people who watch superhero shows or movies.

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I think the net gain for LCS will outweigh any real loss.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Hopefully, one day we'll get something like this...

"There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

I suppose what the shops are worried about is the prospect that DC comics will eventually be distributed in the United States ONLY by Walmart and its website. And that's not entirely impossible.

That would actually be a better distribution system than through the comics shops. It would reach a much larger population..

BANNED

I suppose what the shops are worried about is the prospect that DC comics will eventually be distributed in the United States ONLY by Walmart and its website. And that's not entirely impossible.

That would actually be a better distribution system than through the comics shops. It would reach a much larger population..
    What shops might be worried about is this becoming a huge, massive success, with other mainstream retailers wanting in on the action, basically the return of the comic book as an actual mass medium in the USA, leading the direct market pretty much obsolete when it comes to selling new books.

Don't put the whole box of jellybeans down on that.

I've been in quite a few Wal-Mart stores that look like a tornado just blew through.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I really don't get where LCS think that the people who actually come to their stores already will stop coming because of the Walmart comics. I've heard literally zero customers saying this.
    Unless Walmart decides to have a LCS-like section in the stores in the future. CB fans will still patronize the local LCS. I know I did 40 years ago when comics could still be seen in abundance at supermarkets, book stores, stationary stores, etc.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?