Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    DC is using a trading card distributor, from what I understand.

I think it'd be nice to see a more universal comic, to get past the hatred of Walmart that I've seen so much of (which, man, still puzzles me. I like all the Walmarts I've been to, hunting for these comics. And it's been about 7.)
    Some of the hate might be for their business practices which are kind of scummy. I'm just happy to see more comics in general stores.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Some of the hate might be for their business practices which are kind of scummy. I'm just happy to see more comics in general stores.
    Walmart is Walmart... I tend to by from them on line because I don't like Amazon's tracking me over the internet ...

There real question might be, is Walmart enough distriubition to penetrate the general market. I think they need to be in locations for transpotation hubs, when families are moving about. You never see comics at the airports, even in the news stands/book stores.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    Walmart is Walmart... I tend to by from them on line because I don't like Amazon's tracking me over the internet ...

There real question might be, is Walmart enough distriubition to penetrate the general market. I think they need to be in locations for transpotation hubs, when families are moving about. You never see comics at the airports, even in the news stands/book stores.
    Ugh, but if they were in airports, they'd be ridiculously overpriced, like a McDonald's hamburger that's normally 1 dollar, but is 2 in the airport.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Ugh, but if they were in airports, they'd be ridiculously overpriced, like a McDonald's hamburger that's normally 1 dollar, but is 2 in the airport.
    $4 for a comic is not already ridicules?

$4 for a comic is not already ridicules?
    Too right. But I don't know if anyone remembers, but when they sold floppies in Barnes and Noble, they were always $1 more - so a 3 dollar comic was 4, a 4 dollar comic was 5, etc.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

Too right. But I don't know if anyone remembers, but when they sold floppies in Barnes and Noble, they were always $1 more - so a 3 dollar comic was 4, a 4 dollar comic was 5, etc.
    I never really purchased comics from Barnes and Noble, but obviously new venues for distriution need to be found and big box targets are long in coming. The whole retail business is up in the air at the moment, and the idea of a market, such was we have had from mid-evil times to today, seems to under assault. The market place, town square, shopping district are all fading.

I never really purchased comics from Barnes and Noble, but obviously new venues for distriution need to be found and big box targets are long in coming. The whole retail business is up in the air at the moment, and the idea of a market, such was we have had from mid-evil times to today, seems to under assault. The market place, town square, shopping district are all fading.
    I mean, I didn't either, and I WORKED at Barnes and Noble during the time when DC decided to stop their newsstand program there. And that's why they stopped it - because people weren't buying, and I don't see why they should have, when the product was the same as at the LCS but the price was jacked up.

That's why I don't get the more intense complaints about the Walmart exclusive content. Why should people buy things at Walmart if they can get the same stuff at the LCS, but cheaper? Or conversely, why should people buy things at the LCS if they get the Walmart books only jacked up by twice the price (as I saw was happening in the UK, where they don't have Walmart)?

Now, if you don't have a Walmart or you don't have a LCS, I can see the problem there - but if you have both (as I do), I don't see why it should hamper you if you chose to buy one, both, or neither.

BANNED

This looks extremely good and like it is taking off and I have no practicle access to these books

https://www.dccomics.com/comics/superman-giant-3

SUPERMAN GIANT #3
    U.S. Price: $4.99
    On Sale 9/7

This month’s SUPERMAN GIANT #3 features an all new story from Tom King and Andy Kubert along with continuations and conclusions for SUPERMAN/BATMAN, GREEN LANTERN and THE TERRIFICS!

SUPERMAN: UP IN THE SKY

ALICE

Aliens have kidnapped an Earth girl from Gotham. How far across the galaxy will Superman go to bring her back?

SUPERMAN/BATMAN

THE WORLD’S FINEST PART THREE: RUNNING WILD

A host of villains give Superman and Batman the chase of their lives!

GREEN LANTERN

FLIGHT DELAY

Can Green Lantern do battle with Manhunter—and live to tell the tale?

THE TERRIFICS

MEET THE TERRIFICS CONCLUSION

How will the team survive their encounter with the terrifying War Wheel?

Interesting that they're going to cut off Terrifics on the third issue (I know that's "technically" the conclusion, but...) I will be even more curious to see what they replace it with in #4!

Ultimate Member

That's why I don't get the more intense complaints about the Walmart exclusive content. Why should people buy things at Walmart if they can get the same stuff at the LCS, but cheaper? Or conversely, why should people buy things at the LCS if they get the Walmart books only jacked up by twice the price (as I saw was happening in the UK, where they don't have Walmart)?
    Because pushing the narrative books with POC, LGBT & women as leads and creators are closing comic book stores is a "better" narrative. No one wants to talk about what you just pointed out.

There real question might be, is Walmart enough distriubition to penetrate the general market.
    Let any other company try this and those stores will be SILENT. We have heard SILENCE when Motor Crush, Astro City, Goldie Vance, Sex and others decided to do OGN.

Yet we got fits over 12 page stories in a book of reprints??? Archie has been doing that for YEARS. I got a closet filled with them.

This is really about new stuff with Batman & Superman NOT being in a comic book store.

Let Dc try this with Black Lightning, Young Justice, Wildstorm, Legends of Tomorrow or CW shows. Those folks wouldn't care. Because they probably wouldn't want those books in their stores to begin with.

I never really purchased comics from Barnes and Noble
    They do that a LOT-jack up the price of a magazine. I was looking for Men's Health with John Boyega & Michael B Jordan on respective covers. At Barnes & Nobles Jordan's magazines was a dollar higher. The one with Boyega was 4 times higher.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because pushing the narrative books with POC, LGBT & women as leads and creators are closing comic book stores is a "better" narrative. No one wants to talk about what you just pointed out.

Let any other company try this and those stores will be SILENT. We have heard SILENCE when Motor Crush, Astro City, Goldie Vance, Sex and others decided to do OGN.

Yet we got fits over 12 page stories in a book of reprints??? Archie has been doing that for YEARS. I got a closet filled with them.

This is really about new stuff with Batman & Superman NOT being in a comic book store.

Let Dc try this with Black Lightning, Young Justice, Wildstorm, Legends of Tomorrow or CW shows. Those folks wouldn't care. Because they probably wouldn't want those books in their stores to begin with.

They do that a LOT-jack up the price of a magazine. I was looking for Men's Health with John Boyega & Michael B Jordan on respective covers. At Barnes & Nobles Jordan's magazines was a dollar higher. The one with Boyega was 4 times higher.

I wish I understood what you wrote here. I'm sure it was important and about how Walmarts comics are impacting the comic industry.

Even today, when I see a gas station, the first things that come to my mind are gas, candy bars, soda and comics.
    For so long of my life comics and gas stations were entwined together.

Now when I go into a gas station, it feels like something's missing.
    Especially if they have a strong 'convenience store smell' that harkens back to my youth.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Kon93

I'm in a Walmart right now, and imo where they have these DC giants SUCK. It's the worst place anything trying to get noticed could possibly be. I would rather have these in the actual very nice and organized book and magazine aisle, there they would get noticed and not look like throwaways.

My Walmart has the DC giants box, but it also has a small stack of bundled issues right beside of it, it actually is kinda cool to have both, it's just in a terrible spot.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

They are expanding line with a FLASH GIANT, Swamp Thing Halloween Special, and a Holiday Special.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-walmart-giant...p-thing-flash/

And a sixth ongoing Giant, they just haven't announced what it is yet.

Interesting that they're going to cut off Terrifics on the third issue (I know that's "technically" the conclusion, but...) I will be even more curious to see what they replace it with in #4!
    They probably just mean the conclusion of the arc and Terrifics #4 will be in Superman Giant #4. If I had access to the issue I could confirm that as there'll be a next issue synopsis page. Can someone check please?
    Last edited by Digifiend; 09-14-2018 at 02:20 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman