Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Massively pissing off the audience they have in the hopes of getting another audience is a good idea how?
    Expanding one's market and potential audience is always a good thing (whether the specific plan or product works to do that is the question), so DC being able to sell comics in another store beyond the usual suspects isn't a bad idea in and of itself. If "hardcore" comic readers are going to be ticked that people can buy Batman issues outside of the comic book store (which is already an established thing), they need to get over themselves.

Not generally a good way to sell comic books to a non-hardcore fan.

And the weakest link in all this is of course Wallmart.
    Seeing as we all come to the hobby through different paths, I'm not sure we can generalize this kind of thing. Besides, at the end of the day, if DC's makes back their investment in the deal, it's already proven to have been worth their time and a good business decision.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    As somebody who reads comics consistently, I would never buy comics at a Target, Wal-Mart or similar store. Comic shops keep the hobby manageable by having comics available consistently on Wednesdays and offering subscription services. Wal-Mart with shelve comics as convenient, likely skipping issues. And, even if they have the comics you want, what sort of condition do you think they will be in?

This might be a short-term fix. But, it will not encourage kids to become regular readers.

I agree that something needs to be done about Diamond. But, Wal-Mart is not going to be any better for the industry in this respect.
    I really don't see why it's not a good feeder strategy. And I think your post proves that it's not actually hurting LCS, because of all the LCS regular buyers I've talked to, I'm one of the only ones who is actually really excited about going to Walmart and getting comics. And I'm not dropping my subscription. So I think this is an addition, a funnel, not something LCS or fans should attack.

Could you elaborate how I'm wrong about Walmart being good for the industry in getting more eyes on comics, and giving young kids a taste of stuff and inspiring them to find more?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I really don't see why it's not a good feeder strategy. And I think your post proves that it's not actually hurting LCS, because of all the LCS regular buyers I've talked to, I'm one of the only ones who is actually really excited about going to Walmart and getting comics. And I'm not dropping my subscription. So I think this is an addition, a funnel, not something LCS or fans should attack.

Could you elaborate how I'm wrong about Walmart being good for the industry in getting more eyes on comics, and giving young kids a taste of stuff and inspiring them to find more?
    I personally don't have a problem with DC doing this at all. The more people reading comics, the healthier the industry will be, so I think it's worth a try.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Walmart has figured out how to sell everything else. It can figure out how to sell comics too.

Like maybe display them in sealed wrappers, so that people won't browse through them and beat them up. If you want to know what's inside, then you can read the online solicits. If you come to Walmart, it'll be to buy them, not to read for free.

If they get into the comics business, I bet that's how they'll do it.
    I have never seen a single Wal-Mart that points to that anything like this would actually take place.

BANNED

but it will sell mostly to the existing audience.

That is the measure that really matters. As a collector, I expect these books to become valuable and hard to get in grade.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    If "hardcore" comic readers are going to be ticked that people can buy Batman issues outside of the comic book store (which is already an established thing), they need to get over themselves.
    That is just a bizzare thought.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    That is the measure that really matters. As a collector, I expect these books to become valuable and hard to get in grade.
    I wouldn't put the whole box of jellybeans on that happening.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Expanding one's market and potential audience is always a good thing (whether the specific plan or product works to do that is the question), so DC being able to sell comics in another store beyond the usual suspects isn't a bad idea in and of itself. If "hardcore" comic readers are going to be ticked that people can buy Batman issues outside of the comic book store (which is already an established thing), they need to get over themselves.
    Trey was talking about selling their comics, all of their comics, exclusively through Wallmart.

Seeing as we all come to the hobby through different paths, I'm not sure we can generalize this kind of thing.
    This seems to be aimed at non-comics readers. I simply find it hard to imagine even seasoned fans buying a lot of books if they can't look what the art is like first. And random mainstream people at Wal-mart won't have seen the Previews.

Incredible Member

I can see why comic shops might be annoyed - its their money that made Tom King and Bendis in the first place. They were the ones investing their dollars in their books. Since late 80s as well Marvel and then DC wanted out of spinner rack and into these same comic book shops where they could make more money per issue. To be told now.. these authors you dropped your money on, bigged up in your shops, actually... you cant have a book by them - it has to feel like a kick in the face. Especially when they have customers who want the books and who they will want to keep happy - to tell them to go somewhere else.... it's not a good look.

Flip it round though and I could still buy comics on the rack until very early 90s in the UK before everything moved to the comic shop. My friends who are only a five years younger never had that opportunity, so while they go and see the films or cartoons (which I'm not into) when I ask them why they dont read the comics.. they just look at me with a blank stare as they were just never exposed to them growing up as kids. I know its a bit different in USA where there seem to a lot more comics shops than in UK (my nearest one is a round trip of 3 hr drive) but the more you expose people to your stuff, the more chance they have of progressing to go to comic store. I know thats what what happened to me. When i saw all the things I could buy in the store that i could not buy on the rack it was a proper thrill and I would go every week.

Two sides to this for me - each very valid. If DC had an inhouse advert to say... if you like this why not check out your local comic store then that seems a fair compromise to me at least.

Ultimately tho its only Bendis and King - if it had been say Alan Moore and Frank Miller (which is what we got in the UK with Marvel Daredevils which had Miller reprints of Daredevil in Euro comics format and new Alan Moore Captain Britain) then I think there really would be hell on!

Quote Originally Posted by iron chimp View Post
    Two sides to this for me - each very valid. If DC had an inhouse advert to say... if you like this why not check out your local comic store then that seems a fair compromise to me at least.

Ultimately tho its only Bendis and King - if it had been say Alan Moore and Frank Miller (which is what we got in the UK with Marvel Daredevils which had Miller reprints of Daredevil in Euro comics format and new Alan Moore Captain Britain) then I think there really would be hell on!
    They definitely have that ad.

There's no way that Moore or Miller would do it. Miller's too slow, and Moore is Moore.

O'Neil might do it - he did a short story for the latest holiday special (which I liked, but mostly for Epting's art.)
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    I have never seen a single Wal-Mart that points to that anything like this would actually take place.
    For about the third tine, I'm not saying that DC will ever sell its comics exclusively at Walmart. But stranger things have happened. There are many more Walmarts than comics stores, and they reach a much bigger market. And the motivation to maybe deliver a mortal blow to the rival comics companies would be strong.

It would be easy for Walmart to install a display for floppies that are enclosed in sealed plastic wraps. It wouldn't even need to be very big.

For about the third tine, I'm not saying that DC will ever sell its comics exclusively at Walmart. But stranger things have happened. There are many more Walmarts than comics stores, and they reach a much bigger market. And the motivation to maybe deliver a mortal blow to the rival comics companies would be strong.

It would be easy for Walmart to install a display for floppies that are enclosed in sealed plastic wraps. It wouldn't even need to be very big.
    I don't see the point of this speculation except to stoke the fears of the already irrationally terrified LCS.

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I personally don't have a problem with DC doing this at all. The more people reading comics, the healthier the industry will be, so I think it's worth a try.
    I totally agree.
    The industry was doing better before comics became elite collectors items found only at a variation of a used book store-slash-hobby shop.

People can buy video games, music cds ,movie and tv show dvds, books and magazines at Walmart and many other outlets. If the comics industry wants to be considered a medium to be taken seriously (and survive) they need to have just as much ease of access as any other medium.
    And with superhero movies likely at their peak, the iron is hot. If they don't strike it now, they'd be missing out on a prime opportunity to re-enter the general public's awareness and expand their reader base.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

For starters, nothing like that is happening in anything that resembles actual reality.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    For starters, nothing like that is happening in anything that resembles actual reality.
    Comics shops are an anachronism. If the comics companies can find a distribution system that reaches more people, they'll jump at the chance to switch to it.

If DC pulls out of the comics shops, then Marvel and the smaller companies will take a huge hit because the shops will close.

This could happen, although nobody would say it's certain. For that matter, Marvel could be the one that does it, by signing a deal with Target or some other retailer.

We can talk about this, because shushing the people who talk about it won't change the situation.