Page 6 of 31 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    If he keeps saying it, it'll become true.

Walmart won't put comic shops out of business. No more than Walmart putting Gamestops out of business.

The important thing is that Walmart brings the industry to more potential readers than just the comic shops.
    And comic shops are still the prime location for back issues.
    But all those people who regularly go to comic shops have no real need for back issues, because they've either already got want they want or don't have a need for them. The only time back issues really move right now is when part of the current audience jumps onto a new book (and often leaves another book) because of a new title starting.
    Comic shops need people who haven't always been comic shop customers for those back issues to move.
    I agree for the most part - but actually, I'm enjoying the reprints, since it's exposing me to stuff I didn't read before (the Green Lantern stuff, the Justice League stuff) and giving me a collection of stuff I've never gotten around to buying, like Hush.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    I didn't say that they could. You, on the other hand, said that they couldn't. So you and I are playing by different rules that you're making up and that favor you, because you don't want DC to switch to Walmart.

Walmart's website exists for a reason. I know about it because I've used it. Have you? In case you haven't, you can order things to be delivered to your home, or you can order things to pick up in the stores. I've done both.

This is not complicated for Walmart. It doesn't require them to do anything that's new or special or labor-intensive. The only question is, will comics sell at Walmart? We'll see.
    When is the last time you set foot in a comic shop? Seriously.

Mighty Member

Default Walmart Killed the LCS Star

[QUOTE=Lee Stone;3789696]If he keeps saying it, it'll become true.

Walmart won't put comic shops out of business. No more than Walmart putting Gamestops out of business.

The important thing is that Walmart brings the industry to more potential readers than just the comic shops.
    And comic shops are still the prime location for back issues.

Been away from this discussion for about a week but the aftermarket stores are having an effect on GameStop because they can undersell GameStop by larger inventories of used games and are often in lower rent buildings than the malls GameStop inhabits. Less traffic in malls these days for various reasons as well. ... .. Ironically the aftermarket shop I go to expanded into comics and is drowning in back issues they can't move because a former employee over bought a few years ago. My LCS has culled his back issue inventory way back and very seldom buys collections any more especially 90's Marvel. Too much inventory to count at tax time for product that doesn't sell.

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Been away from this discussion for about a week but the aftermarket stores are having an effect on GameStop because they can undersell GameStop by larger inventories of used games and are often in lower rent buildings than the malls GameStop inhabits. Less traffic in malls these days for various reasons as well. ... .. Ironically the aftermarket shop I go to expanded into comics and is drowning in back issues they can't move because a former employee over bought a few years ago. My LCS has culled his back issue inventory way back and very seldom buys collections any more especially 90's Marvel. Too much inventory to count at tax time for product that doesn't sell.
    And regular comic shop patrons aren't going to buy those back issues. They have no need for them.
    Unless you get new readers in, from outside the shops, they won't move.

On the bright side... If the Walmart thing does end up bringing comics back out of the dark ages and back into public view, a bunch of comics from late '90s up through mid-'10s could go up in value because of the low print runs and an increase of demand.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Who in thier right mind, would pay scalpers for a cheap reprint comic, LMAO

With a 12 page story written for a mass audience? Its like clamoring for a Pizza Hut comic or a cereal box comic,

These are inconsequential!!! Written for 8-12 year olds. Come on people.

Anyway, hey Rich Johnston, so how many did Walmart order? 100 per store?
    those books became valueable. Who said the books are writtenf ro 8-12 year olds, and how is that different from the rest of the DC line

BANNED

There's no future in being a Luddite. Maybe Walmart can't sell floppies, but don't bet your lunch money they can't. I think they'd have an especially good chance to do it if DC would wake up and print its floppies on newsprint, to get the prices down to a reasonable level.

You're talking about a different market here, not the one that's made up of insular fanboys who actually like paying four dollars for a funny book at a mom and pop shop because doing so puts them in a club.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-16-2018 at 04:18 AM.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    There's no future in being a Luddite. Maybe Walmart can't sell floppies, but don't bet your lunch money they can't. I think they'd have an especially good chance to do it if DC would wake up and print its floppies on newsprint, to get the prices down to a reasonable level.

You're talking about a different market here, not the one that's made up of insular fanboys who actually like paying four dollars for a funny book at a mom and pop shop because doing so puts them in a club.
    As I thought. No investment whatsoever in the actual state or health of the industry.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Mighty Member

And regular comic shop patrons aren't going to buy those back issues. They have no need for them.
    Unless you get new readers in, from outside the shops, they won't move.

On the bright side... If the Walmart thing does end up bringing comics back out of the dark ages and back into public view, a bunch of comics from late '90s up through mid-'10s could go up in value because of the low print runs and an increase of demand.
    Nothing Walmart has done has ultimately benefited any industry or any worker over the long haul but create profit for Walmart. A large part of the reason is they are constantly moving from marketing bubble to bubble as any retailer would do. I don't see the larger market you do coming on board because it's all about smart phones and video games. Now the scalpers on the other hand may keep the boat afloat for awhile. The reason why much of the 90's Marvel is still sitting around is because it was overprinted,repetitious,and horribly drawn in an over the top Liefeld/Manga style that is nearly impossible to follow panel to panel. Alonso tried to bring that style back with his international art school crowd and saw the lowest sales for Marvel at the tail end of his career.You seem to think that the LCS's are running some sort of conspiracy to keep sales down. The simple fact is that readers aren't signing up for dozens of titles because of lack of interest. Low print runs are the direct result of this. The same reason that boxloads of Marvel and DC are sitting around from the past. As others have suggested here the damn things are too expensive and need to come down way down. By the way do you own stock in Walmart or work for them in any capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by alton View Post
    Nothing Walmart has done has ultimately benefited any industry or any worker over the long haul but create profit for Walmart. A large part of the reason is they are constantly moving from marketing bubble to bubble as any retailer would do. I don't see the larger market you do coming on board because it's all about smart phones and video games. Now the scalpers on the other hand may keep the boat afloat for awhile. The reason why much of the 90's Marvel is still sitting around is because it was overprinted,repetitious,and horribly drawn in an over the top Liefeld/Manga style that is nearly impossible to follow panel to panel. Alonso tried to bring that style back with his international art school crowd and saw the lowest sales for Marvel at the tail end of his career.You seem to think that the LCS's are running some sort of conspiracy to keep sales down. The simple fact is that readers aren't signing up for dozens of titles because of lack of interest. Low print runs are the direct result of this. The same reason that boxloads of Marvel and DC are sitting around from the past. As others have suggested here the damn things are too expensive and need to come down way down. By the way do you own stock in Walmart or work for them in any capacity?
    No, I do not.
    However, if the comics industry is to survive, it needs to get out of being restricted to comic shops.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

No, I do not.
    However, if the comics industry is to survive, it needs to get out of being restricted to comic shops.
    I agree totally, and I've felt like this for a long time.

It really doesn't matter if it's Wal-Mart, Walgreens, or 7-11. All that matters is that it's in places that lots of other people go, which isn't comic book shops.
    WHO DAT?!!

BANNED

If Walmart has never benefited anyone, then why are there 4.200 Walmarts in the United States? That's an absurd claim to make.

I suppose some folks would rather buy their comics from a "cool" company like Starbucks. Maybe someone can contact Starbucks and suggest that it start carrying Marvel comics.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 07-16-2018 at 11:50 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mar-Vell View Post
    I agree totally, and I've felt like this for a long time.

It really doesn't matter if it's Wal-Mart, Walgreens, or 7-11. All that matters is that it's in places that lots of other people go, which isn't comic book shops.
    Right. I could care less where they are sold, as long as the average person sees them every now and then somewhere.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Mighty Member

No, I do not.
    I know of no restrictions on any publishers to market exclusively to LCS's. Direct Marketing to shops allows certain promotional advantages to LCS's because they became the most direct channel to comic buyers and helped build the industry. Spinner Racks in various stores and Newsstand shelves were always available to any retailer willing to stock comics. Unfortunately Newsstands could return unsold copies but comicshops could not unless damaged in shipment. The free read syndrome or in-store shoplifting at Barnes and Nobles killed off that experiment at our location. It will be interesting to see how this Walmart deal expands the readership. I find it hard to believe that random people will impulse buy a 4 dollar comic just because they see it in Walmart. Maybe you are right because anything that improves bottom line sales for print would be welcome.

Extraordinary Member

There was a chain store where I live called Hastings Books. Not sure if it was a national chain or not.

They rented and sold dvds, had new and used cds and books. But they also sold new comics, back issues, trade paperbacks, and comic toys. It didn't stop me from going to comic book stores but it was closer to where I lived and I would usually go there first.

Unfortunately, Hastings went out of business last year. I miss it. But the comic book shops are still here.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    There was a chain store where I live called Hastings Books. Not sure if it was a national chain or not.

They rented and sold dvds, had new and used cds and books. But they also sold new comics, back issues, trade paperbacks, and comic toys. It didn't stop me from going to comic book stores but it was closer to where I lived and I would usually go there first.

Unfortunately, Hastings went out of business last year. I miss it. But the comic book shops are still here.
    Well stores like Hastings are still around-we called them Half Price Books.

I find it hard to believe that random people will impulse buy a 4 dollar comic just because they see it in Walmart.
    It won't.

The free read syndrome or in-store shoplifting at Barnes and Nobles killed off that experiment at our location
    Considering they have a cafe and seats to read-how could they NOT expect that to happen? Especially with books in general.

If Walmart has never benefited anyone, then why are there 4.200 Walmarts in the United States?
    They sell more than COMIC BOOKS.
    They have more locations. And at times they are the ONLY big name store in an area.
    I am 5, 15 and 20 minutes away from a given Wal-Mart from my house.
    I only have ONE Target near me.

You seem to think that the LCS's are running some sort of conspiracy to keep sales down.
    Some are. Some take issue with WHOSE on the cover of a book. Some have no issue OVER ORDERING Batman books that pack bins in large numbers. Yet will throw a FIT if Moon Girl has 1 unsold book.
    There are some stores that will NOT sell a book because they don't want it in their store despite requests for it. Hi Archie Comics. Hi Motor Crush. Hi Atrem variant Supergirl covers.

I suppose some folks would rather buy their comics from a "cool" company like Starbucks.
    NO I need them in a place where I don't have to go on a Star Trek to find.
    I need them in a place where EVERY title is available.
    I need them in a place where I don't get a GUN pointed in my face or chased out of the store over a damn book. Because entitlement pricks take issue with who is on the cover.

Sadly that place seems to be ONLINE.