Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Superman#1 Discussion and Spoilers

Quite a packed issue, once again, we get Clark's trademark "hold on a sec" during a conversation where he takes time out to stop a rampaging monster or some other major crisis, we get flashbacks not just to Clark and Lois, but also with Clark and Jon (leading to Clark asking Jon about girls), the conversation with Martian Manhunter is a bit...weird, I kept thinking Clark was hitting on Jo'hn ("i love you", "you look good"), very weird. Jor-El hasn't been forgotten either, as his argument with Clark in MOS is reflected on.

Lastly, I liked that Clark wrote an article on the new fortress of solitude.

Bendis holds off on explaining how the Earth ends up in the Phantom Zone, but given there are flashbacks to Man of Steel in this, I think it'll tie in to how Kara disposed of Zarr, possibly a damaged projector.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Very pleased with this issue.

I enjoyed the the central idea Bendis hangs the issue's story around around: can and should Superman do more? The meat of the issue is mainly a singular conversation, and as a way of introducing a central idea going forward, and giving you a sense of what Superman is currently about, it works fantastically. Using the breaks in conversation to give a new reader the long and short of Superman while also sort of proving MM and Jor-El's point: Superman is reactionary. That's the argument here, and it's done quite well without actually picking a side as correct. It just is what's currently happening. Smart stuff.

Now that I've read the issue, and have listened to the Word Balloon interview, I feel pretty confident in saying HOLY SH!T I THINK BENDIS IS GOING TO START THE UNITED PLANETS!! Johns (and forgive me if it came up before Johns) established that Superman was directly instrumental in forming what is by the 30th century known as The United Planets, and Bendis has been very transparent about his love for the Legion, and his want to funnel some of that world building back into Superman. Plus, this would seem to be fall in line with those mysterious Doomsday Clock links he teased on Word Balloon. I even just learned that the capital of the United Planets is Metropolis. Are we seeing that built today? Earth officially entering the galactic conversation. Nice.

Other than that big chuck, I really enjoyed the Lois and Jon flashbacks. Bendis retroactively sowing the seeds of Jon's leaving only to turn it on its head by the end with a punchline. "Kid, I love you, you're going to school" met by "I know" is hilariously accurate lol The Fortress scene was great, and so was Hal listing off all the craziness that used to be in it, but probably the best bit was Clark writing up a whole article.....but then deleting it because he knows it's just ego is the best.

Put probably the most paramount, crazy importing, holy-crap-people-can-we-talk-about-this subject in the issue was........did...did...Superman just punch out a gorilla (possibly caveman) wearing a space suit on the moon? I'm very okay with this life choice, Superman.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-11-2018 at 03:05 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Very pleased with this issue.

I enjoyed the the central idea Bendis hangs the issue's story around around: can and should Superman do more? The meat of the issue is mainly a singular conversation, and as a way of introducing a central idea going forward, and giving you a sense of what Superman is currently about, it works fantastically. Using the breaks in conversation to give a new reader the long and short of Superman while also sort of proving MM and Jor-El's point: Superman is reactionary. That's the argument here, and it's done quite well without actually picking a side as correct. It just is what's currently happening. Smart stuff.

Now that I've read the issue, and have listened to the Word Balloon interview, I feel pretty confident in saying HOLY SH!T I THINK BENDIS IS GOING TO START THE UNITED PLANETS!! Johns (and forgive me if it came up before Johns) established that Superman was directly instrumental in forming what is by the 30th century known as The United Planets, and Bendis has been very transparent about his love for the Legion, and his want to funnel some of that world building back into Superman. Plus, this would seem to be fall in line with those mysterious Doomsday Clock links he teased on Word Balloon. I even just learned that the capital of the United Planets is Metropolis. Are we seeing that built today? Earth officially entering the galactic conversation. Nice.

Other than that big chuck, I really enjoyed the Lois and Jon flashbacks. Bendis retroactively sowing the seeds of Jon's leaving only to turn it on its head by the end with a punchline. "Kid, I love you, you're going to school" met by "I know" is hilariously accurate lol The Fortress scene was great, and so was Hal listing off all the craziness that used to be in it, but probably the best bit was Clark writing up a whole article.....but then deleting it because he knows it's just ego is the best.

Put probably the most paramount, crazy importing, holy-crap-people-can-we-talk-about-this subject in the issue was........did...did...Superman just punch out a gorilla (possibly caveman) wearing a space suit on the moon? I'm very okay with this life choice, Superman.
    Lol I loved every word of this post.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Astonishing Member

Liked this a lot

Nice moment when kal repays "take" very superman in that response for me

Last double page was a very Bendis moment, the text paced in typical fashion, which I find jarring still

But I liked this

Really like the paper of the book too

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Quite a packed issue, once again, we get Clark's trademark "hold on a sec" during a conversation where he takes time out to stop a rampaging monster or some other major crisis, we get flashbacks not just to Clark and Lois, but also with Clark and Jon (leading to Clark asking Jon about girls), the conversation with Martian Manhunter is a bit...weird, I kept thinking Clark was hitting on Jo'hn ("i love you", "you look good"), very weird. Jor-El hasn't been forgotten either, as his argument with Clark in MOS is reflected on.

Lastly, I liked that Clark wrote an article on the new fortress of solitude.

Bendis holds off on explaining how the Earth ends up in the Phantom Zone, but given there are flashbacks to Man of Steel in this, I think it'll tie in to how Kara disposed of Zarr, possibly a damaged projector.
    I didn't get that at all.

J'onn did seem like he was overstepping with his suggestion. There's no way Clark would do that, especially with how MM presented it. I admit Clark needs a push in the right direction, I just don't think being basically told his efforts aren't good enough is the way to go about it, not unless he, himself sees it and decides to do more and find a way that won't subjugate earth under his "rule".

How in the world did the PZ swallow up the earth? It seems it happened during this issue
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 07-11-2018 at 06:05 AM.

I liked it. Although the way J'onn was suggesting things to Superman it verged a tad on "PUT THE WHOLE WORLD IN A BOTTLE" but only a tad. I hope the Clark moping stuff ends soon, because it feels so wrong.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Getting Ivan Reis monthly is one of the best treats about Bendis. That double spread of the fortress is to die for. That chat with Martian Manhunter was really interesting to me, I was wondering what Bendis was teasing, but I like SuperLad's idea of it being the united planets.

Always Rakzo

Well, this worked decently from a bad situation. The forced drama still seemed incredibly unnecessary but Bendis manages to work with it in an understandable manner from Clark's perspective and I liked how he explored the way he constantly needs to save the world while trying to handle a conversation.

J'onn was a bit weird here. I'm glad that Bendis addressed that he's the heart and soul of the Justice League but on the other hand, him being so pushy about Clark guiding the whole world in a way that almost seems like forcing people to follow him didn't really sound like J'onn.

Reis' art was really good as always. Overall not bad but I hope it gets more interesting in the future.

I think this was a good start, it was typical for an opening issue of a new series. I still love how Bendis writes Clark. The way J'onn tried to get Clark to lead the world felt weird to me.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman