Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

The first time I've picked up Amazing Spider-Man in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    just finished the issue I enjoyed the moment towards the end, however, I'm still going to be skeptical of it cause I dont want to be played again. However the artwork looks cool excited to see the rest of this run
    I think a lot of people feel this way. But overall the issue was bang-up no matter how that hinted at storyline pans out.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Because this issue both gave me two major things I wanted along with the hint of another big thing I wanted for the first time in over 10 years ASM is on my pull list.

Spencer in one issue demonstrated an understanding of Spider-Man, Aunt May, Robbie and Mary Jane and Peter than Slott failed to do in nearly 200 issues.

p.s. loved the "Of course Doc Ock isn't my biggest enemy" line.

get rekt Otto Norman is numero uno

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    ....I also liked how the two issues that some people got worked up about ahead of time from the FCBD issue and the preview pages for #1 - one, that Peter seemed not to know who Boomerang was in his civilian ID and two, why the rest of the heroes gave him a negative reception when he shows up to help against the invasion - were both fully addressed and explained in this issue...
    I'll freely admit ahead of time these plot points had me concerned. As you said Spencer, however, addressed both in more than satisfactory fashion.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS! THIS is what I want a Spider-Man comic to be.
    Peter was written so well here, and was, like others have said, a man more than a young man (there's a difference). Plus, I love classic villains, but I'm so glad that we're getting a compelling new villain too. I like Kingpin's plan, the other heroes' involvement, and the supporting cast was amazing.

The artwork. I cannot gush enough about the artwork. Ryan Ottley was one of my favorite artists from his long run on Invincible, and I was so excited when he was announced as the artist for here. He knocked it out the park! And for Ramos?! He's one of my favorite Spider-Man artists period, so he, as usual, killed it.

And of course, that moment...AAAAAHHHH!!! I'm so freaking psyched for this to play out. I just hope it's not a bait and switch. I want it to stick around for a while.

If you are on the fence about this series, or about the character in general, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND picking up this issue.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Honestly, I'm still kind of in shock. Those last few pages of the main story, when he's talking to someone off panel, it was so obviously MJ. Yet, I kept thinking to myself that it was a red herring and wondering who the surprise person really was. Upon turning the page, it turns out to really be MJ. It's funny how being burned by over 10 years of teasing about their relationship that having MJ come back into Pete's life feels like an actual twist.
    I half expected Carlie Cooper.

Awesome start. I was uneasy on the art from the previews, but Ottley overall killed it on art. With this, Venom, and Immortal Hulk, Marvel is slowly reigning me back in.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    Honestly, I'm still kind of in shock. Those last few pages of the main story, when he's talking to someone off panel, it was so obviously MJ. Yet, I kept thinking to myself that it was a red herring and wondering who the surprise person really was. Upon turning the page, it turns out to really be MJ. It's funny how being burned by over 10 years of teasing about their relationship that having MJ come back into Pete's life feels like an actual twist.
    That was me also, I'm so glad I was wrong

I was going to completely ignore this series because I didn't like the FCD preview. This is the kinda Parker luck I can deal with.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by chachi View Post
    Awesome start. I was uneasy on the art from the previews, but Ottley overall killed it on art. With this, Venom, and Immortal Hulk, Marvel is slowly reigning me back in.
    Immortal Hulk is criminally underrated! That book is so doggone good, it doesn't make any sense.

Great start but seeing Ottley's Peter and MJ reminds me that Invincible is over.

Spencer handled the balance of Peter's private life very well. A lot went bad for him. The academic cheating accusation came out in a very public way. He was fired. Aunt May was disappointed. There were some smaller insults as well (IE- Sajani suing him.)

When one good big thing happened to him, it served to balance the bad. And it's going to put Mary Jane in an interesting place, when she is the one person Peter can communicate with, who knows what he's going through, and the injustice of it.

The stinger with the Lizard worked on a few levels.

I'm a big Lizard fan, so that's just a personal thing.

He's one the cover of the next issue, so anyone who follows that kind of stuff isn't surprised to see him. However, the location and the specific dynamic (The Lizard's in a position of acceptance, he's going to be interacting with Peter, there is a potential for innocent bystanders to be hurt) are immediately promising.

It also gives Peter an opportunity to recover from his academic losses. He's been knocked down a peg, but not out. He's back to being a grad student, which is at this point, his ideal academic level.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I know connor and the lizard swapped brains or something, but how is this going to play out in the book? The university is okay with professor lizard?

Regarding Lizard, I'm wondering if they're gonna pick up that plot thread from the end of Clone Conspiracy, where his wife and son are now also mindless lizards.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Whoever it is *coughscarecrowcough*, he apparently knows Peter's secret ID. Does this mean that Mysterio knows now, as well?
    Thank you for that, I had no idea that was even a character, but after looking him up, that is a really obscure character and I wonder exactly how he will play into Spider-Man's life. And I guess they've retconned into Mysterio always knowing his identity since Spider-Men, but he's kept it a secret for reasons.

p.s. loved the "Of course Doc Ock isn't my biggest enemy" line.

get rekt Otto Norman is numero uno
    That was one of my favorite lines in this issue and so true .

Spencer has taken the first steps to surpassing Slott if what he is showing us here holds. Still i will be cautious as i don't want to get my hopes up only for them to be crushed once more.