Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
Well certainly the Dan Slott affect on ASM has been very strong. If that spell has now been lifted, I’m sure that would explain all your arguments that Peter and MJ never needed anything more than to just get back together and they would.
The real world explanation as to why Peter and MJ weren't together during Dan Slott's era and why they're together now in Spencer's is as simple as Slott didn't want them together, for whatever reasons, and Spencer does.

I'm sure Slott had sound reasons for keeping them apart and he certainly managed to keep the book thriving without that relationship.

Spencer obviously feels differently and is going in the direction he feels is right for him. This seems to be working out just fine so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
But with the Dan Slott affect still in place, I still say Peter and MJ didn’t hook up because of One More Day - they tried it and decided it wouldn’t work. Ergo, if OMD isn’t an argument anymore, then something else is. Maybe the desperate situation?
I don't know how many ways to explain that Peter isn't portrayed as "desperate" in issue #1. He's already thinking of being with MJ before he has his avalanche of bad luck.

And for all the sh*t that hits Pete in this issue, he doesn't seem terribly fazed by any of it. Life has been using him as a punching bag for too long for a few bad breaks to get to him. He responds to everything that happens in the issue with humor and wry acceptance. Save for feeling some remorse at causing Aunt May disappointment, he's good.

And when he makes his speech to MJ at the end, she's immediately on-board and bursting with joy without a second's hesitation. Not "oh, well, he's really in a bad place - I better be careful not to crush him" but legitimately reciprocating Peter's desire to get back together with her own genuine enthusiasm. Is she "desperate", too? No, neither one of them is. They've just come to a place where they want to try again. It happens.

Again, the real world explanation is that Spencer wants to write them as a couple while Slott didn't (at least not as long as they weren't married). But in-universe it's as simple as they realized that they never stopped having the feelings they had and once one of them came out and said it, the other responded in kind.

Where Spencer is going to take things, who knows? It's a safe bet that, for the purposes of good drama, that Peter and MJ's reunion will suffer some obstacles and bumps in the road. But I do think that they'll be sticking together through all of it for some time.