Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

This issue was surprisingly nice.
    Now with the Marvel Two in one issues another Marvel book that was readable.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superiorspidey View Post
    Thank you for this, I was very confused
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    About the only thing good about this is that MJ was setup very well in the Iron Man books to have had villain fighting experience, and, that MJ may as a result have got some Stark armour for being Starks secretary.

So when Peter is disgraced for plagorism, and he can’t tell anybody what the secret is about Superior Spider-Man, I can understand Pete came running to MJ who knows he is Spider-Man so he can just unload to somebody. If Pete has to return to MJ for this reason, I think that makes sense. The thrilling thing is, MJ is expecting this, and she’s overjoyed to be back in the game as Spider-Mans partner. I think The Iron Man series’ set this up. MJ using a mike stand to thump a villain just bought it home to MJ, all the reasons she stayed away from Peter, (the dangers, the villains), don’t go away if she disconnects with Peter. There will always be dangers and villains, so MJ just realised it.

There should be a support group for commoners like MJ, Jarvis, JJJameson, Sharon Carter, Maria Hill, Pepper Potts, Foggy Nelson, Jane Foster, Rick Jones, Teresa Parker, Phil Coulson, these sorts of people who are hanging around super heroes and get caught up in extraordinary situations. A meeting place where they can go and share their life experiences. I bet there would be a lot of medals handed out in that group.
    I like that idea. I like that idea a lot. If DC can have "Heroes in Crisis," which is supposed to deal with a therapeutic sanctuary for superheroes to deal with the psychological/emotional traumas that come with their experiences fighting the forces of evil, Marvel should have something similar for the civilian friends/allies/loved ones who are close enough to the heroes to get caught up in the same situations, but without the benefit of superpowers or advanced technology to more easily see them through.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    At this point I wonder exactly what type of job can Peter get at this point?

Like, he got exposed doctoring photos before so he can't return to photography. Parker Industries went belly up. Now he got exposed as a "plagiarist" so he can't exactly become a researcher anymore.

Maybe a Forensics Scientist like his MC2 counterpart?
    Is that really such a good idea? It's be seen as ripping off the Flash, since Barry is a CSI as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I'm thinking now too, this might explain why Spencer decided to make Boomerang Pete's roommate. Maybe a future plot point is Boomerang tries to use Pete's unemployment to his advantage to try and get him to develop tech for him and the other Superior Foes and Pete uses it as an opportunity to infiltrate the group. :P
    The Superior Foes are disbanded, it's mentioned when Beetle shows up.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    About the only thing good about this is that MJ was setup very well in the Iron Man books to have had villain fighting experience, and, that MJ may as a result have got some Stark armour for being Starks secretary.

So when Peter is disgraced for plagorism, and he can’t tell anybody what the secret is about Superior Spider-Man, I can understand Pete came running to MJ who knows he is Spider-Man so he can just unload to somebody. If Pete has to return to MJ for this reason, I think that makes sense. The thrilling thing is, MJ is expecting this, and she’s overjoyed to be back in the game as Spider-Mans partner. I think The Iron Man series’ set this up. MJ using a mike stand to thump a villain just bought it home to MJ, all the reasons she stayed away from Peter, (the dangers, the villains), don’t go away if she disconnects with Peter. There will always be dangers and villains, so MJ just realised it.

There should be a support group for commoners like MJ, Jarvis, JJJameson, Sharon Carter, Maria Hill, Pepper Potts, Foggy Nelson, Jane Foster, Rick Jones, Teresa Parker, Phil Coulson, these sorts of people who are hanging around super heroes and get caught up in extraordinary situations. A meeting place where they can go and share their life experiences. I bet there would be a lot of medals handed out in that group.
    MJ could've taken the Iron Spider armor if she wanted, during ANAD ASM.

Pepper and Jane aren't "commoners". Pepper is Rescue, and Jane's just off the board temporarily while she recovers from her cancer. Odinson will probably make sure Odin gives her new powers when she's cured. Also, Rick and Phil are dead.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Something weird around here. The Mysterio (Quentin Beck) in this issue doesn't seem the same one who recently appeared in Las Vegas ("Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider"), wanting to leave everything behind and stuff. Of course, that was until Ben accidentally caused Mysterio killing his daughter (although she wanted to kill him first).
    Beck does say he felt like he was in a rut. Tired of doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results. This could easily be seen as him coming back from his tried retirement in Vegas and a way of coping with his daughters death by try to kill a bunch of heros with a fake alien invasion.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    It's a carrot. It's the same carrot that Marvel have dangled time and time again since OMD, cos they know some people are only still reading the book out of faint hope. And so Marvel keep 'em hoping. Every couple of years or so, they put a juicy fresh carrot on a stick and start waving away, whilst having a little chuckle at everyone reaching for a bite.

And in reality, Robinson just boarded the same troll train that Slott's been riding for all these years.

But I ain't buying it. Literally or figuratively.
    I know there's been teases (really cruel ones, like Jackpot) in the last ten years, but have they ever gotten this far? Slott teased it twice, with the kiss and stupid "I can't do this" in Go Down Swinging, and before that, with Spider-Island and MJ saying she loves Peter, but I don't think they ever went this far before.

But I left in 2007, and only checked out a couple of issues between then and now. So do other people know of carrots that have been this decidedly carroty?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I know there's been teases (really cruel ones, like Jackpot) in the last ten years, but have they ever gotten this far? Slott teased it twice, with the kiss and stupid "I can't do this" in Go Down Swinging, and before that, with Spider-Island and MJ saying she loves Peter, but I don't think they ever went this far before.

But I left in 2007, and only checked out a couple of issues between then and now. So do other people know of carrots that have been this decidedly carroty?
    It not a carrot or red herring this time. I don’t think it’s a full return to the marriage but they are back as a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    It not a carrot or red herring this time. I don’t think it’s a full return to the marriage but they are back as a couple.
    I hope so. I'm just curious about what's been happening with Peter and MJ in the last 10 dark years.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

I hope so. I'm just curious about what's been happening with Peter and MJ in the last 10 dark years.
    Nothing worth remembering happening Miller, trust me i suffered a lot for that . (Wasn't the only reason thougth).

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Nothing worth remembering happening Miller, trust me i suffered a lot for that . (Wasn't the only reason thougth).
    Haha, I thought as much. The handful of issues or previews I looked at included:

Jackpot (everything about that was gross)
    Mattie's death. TWICE.
    Silk?
    Otto taking over Peter's body and having sex with people in it (one of my students actually wrote a paper about this one - I never read any of it)
    MJ feeling like Peter and Carlie were so much smarter than her
    Carlie getting a tattoo of Spider-Man
    Spider-Island
    Killing off Peter in the Spider-Girl universe (way to go! Kill the marriage even in an AU that doesn't have an ongoing!)
    MJ telling Peter "never again" using the same pose as "You just hit the jackpot"

Anything else?

Holy sh*t, Peter has his actual voice again!

And thank you Spencer for showing actual growth within a single issue and f*ck the man children "PETER HAS TO BE SINGLE AND ALONE FOREVER BECAUSE I AM"~

Haha, I thought as much. The handful of issues or previews I looked at included:

Jackpot (everything about that was gross)
    Mattie's death. TWICE.
    Silk?
    Otto taking over Peter's body and having sex with people in it (one of my students actually wrote a paper about this one - I never read any of it)
    MJ feeling like Peter and Carlie were so much smarter than her
    Carlie getting a tattoo of Spider-Man
    Spider-Island
    Killing off Peter in the Spider-Girl universe (way to go! Kill the marriage even in an AU that doesn't have an ongoing!)
    MJ telling Peter "never again" using the same pose as "You just hit the jackpot"

Anything else?
    Victim blaming him for the whole deal with Otto in Superior Spider-Man because reasons.

She dated that firefigther guy becuase she couldn't stand Peter's life, dude was also called Pedro (totally not a rebound or hypocritical by the way )

Generally is a lot MJ blaming him for a lot of things that don't make sense. All that you mentioned too (especially the Superior part....gross).

To be fair the ending of Spider-Island was nice and she actually gave him an idea to save the day once.

Wonderful debut! Was looking forward to this as I really enjoyed Spencer's Superior Foes, Ant-Man, and The Fix. Really enjoyed Peter's voice, his attitude, and his maturity with dealing with the problems he encounters. He acts like a responsible person trying to do his best despite not everything always working! It's like all the classic Spidey tropes are there but it felt so refreshing at the same time because it's felt like a lot of this has been warded off, I'm not sure if I can articulate what I mean but I'll try. I enjoyed what Dan Slott did for the most part, his contributions and ideas are undeniably a great accomplishment as a creator. Big Time started off really strong and into Spider-Island was all a highlight, Superior also, and the end of his run also landed pretty well. I did feel a lot that his Peter voice felt a little off for some reason, like he wasn't as mature as he'd been in the past anymore and needed to rely on other heroes more than he used to. I also had a problem with Peter just falling into having a doctorate and owning a giant company now without earning any of it yet he just goes along with all of it no questions asked.

So I really appreciated this issue tackling all of that stuff and zigging where the book has been zagging recently. Also feels really nice having Ryan Ottley drawing Spider-Man, it also feels fresh cause here's an artist who literally hasn't even been at either Marvel or DC before yet totally fits the bill of drawing an awesome Spidey and being a great fit for his world. Keep him on as long as he was drawing Invincible lol, I wanna see him get a shot at joining the ranks of the great artistic voices on Spidey!

Also enjoyed it addressing Mysterio's being alive again rather than just dismissing it as "master of illusion!" and using that to pose an intriguing new villain debut with ties to hell/possibly Mephisto. There's about so many allusions to Mephisto/OMD/the marriage in this issue. It's interesting. I wonder if addressing that is going to be something Nick Spencer is going to be building towards. Especially with the prospect of Peter and Mary Jane finally being together again. That was also a happy moment for me because as much as I've enjoyed Spidey in the last decade it's felt like something's been missing and the lack of her presence next to Peter is a big factor in it. All the commentary in the script felt like it was calling to those feelings, too. I dunno, I'm really interested all of this from the first issue! Plus that funny cliffhanger with professor Lizard, lovely.

Oh, in all my excitement about other more prominent elements I forgot about Professor Lizard. How could I be so dense lol. Its yet another aspect of the story which I think will be interesting to watch unfold.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I was done with ASM with Slott leaving, perfect jumping off point. Then I heard all the commotion and decided to pick up just one more, I can't leave! Not now! I've been pulled right back in, I haven't had this much fun and excitement from a Spider-Man comic since Superior! Definitely re-subbing to ASM! I'm a sucker for MJ/Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Victim blaming him for the whole deal with Otto in Superior Spider-Man because reasons.

She dated that firefigther guy becuase she couldn't stand Peter's life, dude was also called Pedro (totally not a rebound or hypocritical by the way )

Generally is a lot MJ blaming him for a lot of things that don't make sense. All that you mentioned too (especially the Superior part....gross).

To be fair the ending of Spider-Island was nice and she actually gave him an idea to save the day once.
    Okay, yup, sounds like I didn't miss anything. Thanks!