Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Disappointing regarding the MJ stuff. Hope that doesn't last.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Panel 1.

Peter (Narration): You have to make it real. This is my story --

Peter and MJ kiss.

Panel 2.

Peter (Narration): -- Our story.

The kiss has ended and MJ is smiling at Peter.

MJ: We're in this together, Pete. We always have been.

(And this is how the new creative team's first issue came to an end. And then there's what we would call the post-credits scenes.)

Sounds like we're gonna get some Peter/MJ for a while, doesn't it?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I'm loving these positive reactions!! I'm not going to be able to get to this until later in the day but, man, I'm pumped to crack open the start of a new Spidey era!

Glad people are digging it!
    You値l absolutely love this. Took me back to my childhood. This (plus the return of a certain impulsive character in Flash #50) really has made my day. Awesome issue. Everything came together perfectly.

BANNED

One of MJ's pet names for Peter is "pete"

The new villain calls Peter "pete", says it's read Beck's screenplay, can afford a laywer, says it knows Peter more than he knows himself

(sigh)

The new villain is MJ isn't it?

(and yes, I'm partially kidding, and yes I was accusing the Red Goblin of being MJ a few months ago, so I've been off-base before)
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-12-2018 at 01:44 AM.

Waiting for issue two is going to be long

It's a carrot. It's the same carrot that Marvel have dangled time and time again since OMD, cos they know some people are only still reading the book out of faint hope. And so Marvel keep 'em hoping. Every couple of years or so, they put a juicy fresh carrot on a stick and start waving away, whilst having a little chuckle at everyone reaching for a bite.

And in reality, Robinson just boarded the same troll train that Slott's been riding for all these years.

But I ain't buying it. Literally or figuratively.
    "The rules of regeneration are known!"

"Sorry, what did you say? Did you mention the rules? Now, listen. A bit of advice: tell me the truth if you think you know it,
    lay down the law if you're feeling brave, but never ever tell me the rules!!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    It's a carrot. It's the same carrot that Marvel have dangled time and time again since OMD, cos they know some people are only still reading the book out of faint hope. And so Marvel keep 'em hoping. Every couple of years or so, they put a juicy fresh carrot on a stick and start waving away, whilst having a little chuckle at everyone reaching for a bite.

And in reality, Robinson just boarded the same troll train that Slott's been riding for all these years.

But I ain't buying it. Literally or figuratively.
    You beat me to it. I'd advise people to wait it out. This was a great start to the new creative team. Liked how Spider-Man solved things even with guest appearances of other supers.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    You値l absolutely love this. Took me back to my childhood. This (plus the return of a certain impulsive character in Flash #50) really has made my day. Awesome issue. Everything came together perfectly.
    Same

I can't believe it, when I read Spidey in the 90s I loved it because it showed marriage as something positive and that you don't have to face things alone in life and as a kid thats a huge deal.

I am still a little dubious just because the batman wedding has left a sour taste in a lot of mouths and I think I'd drop this book for good if that happened and this is a fake out.

I don't expect a marriage yet but I do expect them to stay together for a long time now at least.

Slott either didn't want them together or honestly wasn't allowed but maybe Nick sold them on this due to Batman and Superman at the time then the batman 50 backlash cemented it as a positive for Marvel and showed fans want some goodness in their comics.

Either way I'm very happy right now with this book for the first time since maybe the other arc when he got new powers and joined the Avengers.

Haven't been this excited since the mid-late 90s

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It's lasted 31 years mate.

Issue was solid all around. The lack of press from Marvel, ie press releases and interviews day of, makes me skeptical on the undoing of OMD. This is the kind of thing you tell people you’re doing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Somecrazyaussie View Post
    Yes, I did totally love it. In fact, I'm still giddy about how good it was.

As for the undoing of OMD and the return of the marriage...I don't think that will happen necessarily but that doesn't mean that Peter and MJ can't be a couple again.

Will there be complications? Sure, there has to be. But I don't think this run would kick off like this only to immediately pull the rug out. I think Peter and MJ are going to be a thing again.

I'm not pro-marriage for Peter but I have nothing against seeing Peter and MJ together.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    Issue was solid all around. The lack of press from Marvel, ie press releases and interviews day of, makes me skeptical on the undoing of OMD. This is the kind of thing you tell people you’re doing.
    Except if you truly and genuinely want to surprise readers which, as was expressed in the notes within the issue, is exactly what they wanted to do. Also, "undoing OMD" means the marriage will return and I don't think that's necessary for Peter and MJ to work----what's wrong with her being his girlfriend/partner/confidante? In an age when fewer people are marrying or marrying at a much later age, this setup actually makes a ton of sense in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Except if you truly and genuinely want to surprise readers which, as was expressed in the notes within the issue, is exactly what they wanted to do. Also, "undoing OMD" means the marriage will return and I don't think that's necessary for Peter and MJ to work----what's wrong with her being his girlfriend/partner/confidante? In an age when fewer people are marrying or marrying at a much later age, this setup actually makes a ton of sense in 2018.
    Interviews and press releases day of, or even this morning would not have spoiled anything.

While I’m not pro or anti marriage, people want OMD addressed. People want them married again. Maybe it’s still coming, I don’t know. Marvel has said nothing. That’s not what Marvel does. Even with a new editor in chief, PR controls that.

Solicitations mention impersonators. Maybe they start by impersonating someone else before moving on to Peter.

Other than the Peter/MJ stuff, I hated this. I might be in the minority but I'm beyond tired of the "Peter Parker's life always has to suck" status quo. Let him hold down a job, let him be a real adult.

Wow, what do I say, where do I start?

I've loved Spidey since I was a kid and over the years Marvel's treatment of the poor lug has been an emotional roller coaster. I enjoyed some of the last run, but after a while couldn't take it and for years, until the Renew Your Vows series came along, I didn't regularly read Spidey.

I almost didn't pick this up, but the outstanding response made me bite the bullet. If you had told me how bad Pete gets it in this issue, I would've walked away. The difference is there's hope and Pete is handling things like an adult.

I liked this not just for the MJ scene at the end, but her overall return to confidant status, Pete acting like Pete, him saving the day, Mysterio!!!, interesting profession on his life and a balance between both aspects of his life.

It felt right, it felt hopeful, funny, adventurous and not a continual dumping on one of my fav heroes -- he's facing Tuesday, but there's hope, a fighting chance and he does have sot people in his life.

Also I'm super up for Connors as the Lizard teaching and helping Pete. It'll be an interesting angle and I'm a sucker for kind-hearted characters who look like monsters.
    Wow. I went from barley reading Marvel to reading Venom, Immortal Hulk, Renew Your Vows and now this!...my poor wallet.

I don't totally buy that Pete and MJ will be back together just yet, but it's great seeing the real her caring about Pete and being his rock. Married or no, it's great to see their mutual support back.

Here's to the future!
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.