Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DT Winslow View Post
    Interviews and press releases day of, or even this morning would not have spoiled anything.

While I’m not pro or anti marriage, people want OMD addressed. People want them married again. Maybe it’s still coming, I don’t know. Marvel has said nothing. That’s not what Marvel does. Even with a new editor in chief, PR controls that.

Solicitations mention impersonators. Maybe they start by impersonating someone else before moving on to Peter.
    Anything's possible. But, I have to say, some of the best twists and turns in comics came with nary a bit of hype. I still recall Colossus' return in Astonishing X-Men and the reveal of the Thunderbolts' true identities at the end of that debut issue as being among the best in the modern era.

It's also possible that Marvel is pulling back on the hype angle; there were a lot of hyped issues during the Slott era and maybe they are just trying another angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    To make a long story short, Mysterio committed suicide after failing to break Daredevil mentally in the Kevin Smith arc that relaunched Daredevil in the late 90s under the Marvel Knights banner, taking after Daredevil's insult for him as a human Xerox and "stealing a move from Kraven." Of course, as suicide is a mortal sin according to most iterations of the Christian faith that I'm aware of, Mysterio ended up in hell, and even if the suicide itself wasn't what put him there, all of his evildoing beforehand would probably still earn him a spot of eternal punishment. During Peter David's run on Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, Mysterio was apparently pulled out of hell to screw with Spider-Man some more, though after One More Day, he was back to being a "standard" super-illusionist and his response to being questioned about his death was, "Master of illusion, duh!" Then David revealed years later in Ben Reilly: The Scarlet Spider that Mysterio had indeed died, gone to hell, and somehow come back to life, making an attempt to lie low and live a normal life out of fear of going back to hell until things involving his daughter Misty and the Scarlet Spider put a kibosh on that. Given this first issue, it looks like we might be getting set up for an answer as to how Mysterio came back to life, as it seems he still owes hell's demons a few favors . . . or else he might just wind up going back down there, permanently.
    Thank you for this, I was very confused

About the only thing good about this is that MJ was setup very well in the Iron Man books to have had villain fighting experience, and, that MJ may as a result have got some Stark armour for being Starks secretary.

So when Peter is disgraced for plagorism, and he can’t tell anybody what the secret is about Superior Spider-Man, I can understand Pete came running to MJ who knows he is Spider-Man so he can just unload to somebody. If Pete has to return to MJ for this reason, I think that makes sense. The thrilling thing is, MJ is expecting this, and she’s overjoyed to be back in the game as Spider-Mans partner. I think The Iron Man series’ set this up. MJ using a mike stand to thump a villain just bought it home to MJ, all the reasons she stayed away from Peter, (the dangers, the villains), don’t go away if she disconnects with Peter. There will always be dangers and villains, so MJ just realised it.

There should be a support group for commoners like MJ, Jarvis, JJJameson, Sharon Carter, Maria Hill, Pepper Potts, Foggy Nelson, Jane Foster, Rick Jones, Teresa Parker, Phil Coulson, these sorts of people who are hanging around super heroes and get caught up in extraordinary situations. A meeting place where they can go and share their life experiences. I bet there would be a lot of medals handed out in that group.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-12-2018 at 05:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wissenschaft View Post
    Oh that doesn't read that well. LOL I didn't want to slap Aunt May. I wanted to slap the superheros, Jonny Storm and Daredevil. Aren't they Peters friends? How can they distrust him so easily?

I kind of jump thoughts there.
    I'm honestly not sure if Johnny was mad at him too, though. Johnny's dialogue was 100% lifted from the cantina scene in Star Wars. Like, he was joking around.

Anyway, I can see the other heroes getting easily turned against him in a post Superior Spider-Man world.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    what's wrong with her being his girlfriend/partner/confidante? In an age when fewer people are marrying or marrying at a much later age, this setup actually makes a ton of sense in 2018.
    Nothing's wrong with it...but it doesn't change the fact that, canonically, they should be married and that it's only faulty memories that are preventing them from realizing it.

It's not about whether or not Peter and MJ can be a relatable pairing without the context of marriage, it has to do with respecting the history of the characters. Historically, they were married and never officially divorced.

The likes of MC2 and Renew Your Vows have already helped establish marrying young didn't hinder you either, as Peter and MJ have raised children through to teenage years in both of those timelines without much trouble.

One thing about the heroes being upset is that it stated several weeks had passed since the meeting with Kingpin, we'll probably start seeing the effects of his plan next issue and beyond. I'm curious about what it could be. There was annoyance rather than overt hatred so it wasn't something drastic like Logan killing people in Enemy of the State or something. Hmm.

Also another element I enjoyed was Robbie. Always liked him since the 90s series, so I'm glad to see him as part of the supporting cast.
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
    Except if you truly and genuinely want to surprise readers which, as was expressed in the notes within the issue, is exactly what they wanted to do. Also, "undoing OMD" means the marriage will return and I don't think that's necessary for Peter and MJ to work----what's wrong with her being his girlfriend/partner/confidante? In an age when fewer people are marrying or marrying at a much later age, this setup actually makes a ton of sense in 2018.
    What I believe could happen is, OMD is undone, in the sense that they get their memories back of everything that happened before it, but they still don't get married. Because like you mentioned, they don't NEED to get married for her to still be able to love and support him, and it would resolve the worst element of that story, the making a deal with a devil thing. It's probably the perfection solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    What I believe could happen is, OMD is undone, in the sense that they get their memories back of everything that happened before it, but they still don't get married. Because like you mentioned, they don't NEED to get married for her to still be able to love and support him, and it would resolve the worst element of that story, the making a deal with a devil thing. It's probably the perfection solution.
    Exactly right. That was/is my main point. I think 10 years of stories has proven that Peter still works better with MJ than without and no replacement love interest has come along in that decade to supplant her so rekindling the relationship makes perfect sense and a wedding ring is not really necessary to get the benefits of the couple.

Incredible Member

Why couldn't Joe Q just go a less (but still convoluted) route of just saying that Peter and MJ were never officially married because something like the priest was a villain or norman osborn sent clone or who knows. This Mephisto talk is way past due to end.

Astonishing Member

Something weird around here. The Mysterio (Quentin Beck) in this issue doesn't seem the same one who recently appeared in Las Vegas ("Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider"), wanting to leave everything behind and stuff. Of course, that was until Ben accidentally caused Mysterio killing his daughter (although she wanted to kill him first).

Loved this issue. All those leftover chickens from the Slott era just came home to roost!

A couple of my favorite scenes: "Bye Felicia" and the Lizard at the end. Oh man this was good.

A kid who made a deal with Mephisto for getting a good grade - foreshadowing of dealing with a certain storyline?
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 07-12-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursalink View Post
    Something weird around here. The Mysterio (Quentin Beck) in this issue doesn't seem the same one who recently appeared in Las Vegas ("Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider"), wanting to leave everything behind and stuff. Of course, that was until Ben accidentally caused Mysterio killing his daughter (although she wanted to kill him first).
    Not the first time a Mysterio has claimed to be another. Danny Berkhart impersonated Beck a couple of times. Maybe he's doing it again or soemone else

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Why couldn't Joe Q just go a less (but still convoluted) route of just saying that Peter and MJ were never officially married because something like the priest was a villain or norman osborn sent clone or who knows. This Mephisto talk is way past due to end.
    Indeed something like that would have been far better than OMD. But then again just about ANYTHING would be better than the method we got in OMD.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I half expected Carlie Cooper.
    I was expecting Aunt May, Black Cat, Robbie, anyone other than you know who

Quote Originally Posted by Spidercide View Post
    I was expecting Aunt May, Black Cat, Robbie, anyone other than you know who
    As was I. It was a nice surprise.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."