Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ben Reilly: Scarlet Spider #21 [Spoilers]

Ben and Kaine separately confront the Diogenes Initiative!

It was... not what I was expecting!

Angels!
    Demon Dogs!
    Lots of humor!
    Friendship?!

Granted, it was a bit of a fast read, which always bums me out. But on the plus side, this is another issue where PAD nails both Ben's and Kaine's voices.

After this issue, who knows what will happen?!

(At least we get a cover that potentially speaks to the contents next issue.)

What did you think, folks?

-Pav, who is surprised at how cavalier Ben and Kaine are with their civilian names/identities...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

BANNED

I noticed another Mephisto name drop...wonder just how important the Initiative will be to the Spider-Books beyond just this one? Hopefully their story doesn't end with it.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Issue 22, actually, but that aside, I did enjoy your take on this issue, and in the event this title gets relaunched as Scarlet Spiders, I hope Nakano returns as an antagonist/rival for Kaine. As for having an actual angel involved with the Diogenes Initiative, it's starting to remind me of Peter David's previous Supergirl series for DC, where angels and demons played a very big role in that version of the character's story, which had redemption as a major theme.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Issue 22, actually,
    £√€#!

Is that fixable, mods?

but that aside, I did enjoy your take on this issue, and in the event this title gets relaunched as Scarlet Spiders, I hope Nakano returns as an antagonist/rival for Kaine.
    She's certainly interesting. I'd definitely like to see some continuity to Kaine's rogues gallery, which has subtly been growing over the past decade or so due to his solo, NW, and now this series.

-Pav, who is gonna be let down if we don't get that Scarlets title...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.

--------------------

A Green Unpleasant Man Rob London's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

-Pav, who is surprised at how cavalier Ben and Kaine are with their civilian names/identities...
    I guess that's explainable by the fact that neither of them are "real" names. They didn't exist at all up until six-seven years ago, and neither of them has ever stayed in one place for very long. You'd have to look long and hard for anyone who knew they existed at all. All the name "Ben Reilly" gets you is some fake IDs and a coffee shop pay stub.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Issue 22, actually, but that aside, I did enjoy your take on this issue, and in the event this title gets relaunched as Scarlet Spiders, I hope Nakano returns as an antagonist/rival for Kaine. As for having an actual angel involved with the Diogenes Initiative, it's starting to remind me of Peter David's previous Supergirl series for DC, where angels and demons played a very big role in that version of the character's story, which had redemption as a major theme.
    You know I was thinking along the lines of Fallen Angel, also by Peter David but now I feel you are more aligned with the latter half of his Supergirl run.

Peter David likes using Angels it does seem.
    "Gabriel, like the Angel?....you just don't look like an angel" HaHaHa!!!
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    You know I was thinking along the lines of Fallen Angel, also by Peter David but now I feel you are more aligned with the latter half of his Supergirl run.

Peter David likes using Angels it does seem.
    "Gabriel, like the Angel?....you just don't look like an angel" HaHaHa!!!
    Fallen Angel was originally supposed to be a continuation of Peter David's Supergirl, before he had to move it to a different company (IDW, I think) and change some names and details.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Hey, friends! One thing of note that I forgot after my first read through and subsequent posting:

A particularly interesting detail from this issue is Kaine remembering the smell of Coney Island cotton candy from Peter's youth.

Unlike Ben, who was an exact replica of Peter, there's always been some question as to how much of "Peter" lives inside Kaine's mind/personality/memories/whatever. Nice to see PAD give us that little detail; as I say in almost every issue review, I appreciate the way Ben and Kaine are consistently compared to Peter in this series.

-Pav, who wonders if Peter will show up before it's over...

--------------------

At first I thought we were talking about Fallen Angels, which was that mini team up from the 1980s with Sunspot and Warlock. Then I realized

Still loving the banter between Kaine and Ben here, even for the brief panel at the end. Disappointed with how the Diogenes Initiative ended up being - seemed like a lot of build up and little payoff there.

With the series till the bitter end, though!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I thought the issue was pretty good. Maybe I'm just not very smart, but I did not see Gabriel or the Angels thing coming.

-Pav, who is gonna be let down if we don't get that Scarlets title...
    -Pav, who wonders if Peter will show up before it's over...
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    With the series till the bitter end, though!
    Is this series coming to an end, and I did not know about it? Those quotes seem like people view the comic as having no future

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelSliver View Post
    I thought the issue was pretty good. Maybe I'm just not very smart, but I did not see Gabriel or the Angels thing coming.

Is this series coming to an end, and I did not know about it? Those quotes seem like people view the comic as having no future
    no official word afaik, but it seems as if the writing is on the wall
    troo fan or death

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    no official word afaik, but it seems as if the writing is on the wall
    to be fair people have been saying it has been cancelled since issue 18 solicits so no-one really knows - hopefully not

Haven't got this issue yet as my LCS was out... hopefully tomorrow

Astonishing Member

I liked this issue, one of the best issues from the book I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspidey View Post
    to be fair people have been saying it has been cancelled since issue 18 solicits so no-one really knows - hopefully not

Haven't got this issue yet as my LCS was out... hopefully tomorrow
    true enough charcharchar10101010
    troo fan or death

I've been enjoying this run so far, however it definitely reminds me of the Angel spin-off series from Buffy.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion