Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Another reboot back to "Bad Luck Parker" but this time instead of latching onto Aunt May, we're given a tease that he can get back with MJ... I'm not buying it for a second. Parker in a happy relationship? No writer these days has the balls to write a character in a happy relationship when their character is developed over having a shitty life 24/7. As for The Lizard.... From the preview of the cover for Issue 2, it almost seems like Conner is no longer in control like he was last time we saw him. This first issue was a mess, the beginning of a train crash that I can't look away from (Also since I've been collecting ASM since the mid-250s through current and OCD, I'll keep buying).

I'll say it here and now. If they can keep a happy relationship between Parker and MJ for a full series run, I'll eat both variants of the Wedding Issue I own. If they get married again, I'll eat my copy of issue 300... And I'll post pics here!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    This time it sticks, forever. There's no alternative which will ever be accepted by wide fandom and you know it. LET. IT. STICK.
    A pass on that notion. A story without time and change is where I stop reading, I don't care what "wide fandom" apparently accepts.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Anyway, I felt this issue was kind of... basic? Like, it's fine for what it is. What that was though, was kind of by-the-numbers fluff. Tone wise it didn't feel much different than much Slott had done around say, Spider-Island. Disappointed Mysterio was regressed to a bit of a joke after Spider-Men. Pete's new living situation was probably the most interesting wrinkle to me, I love that Boomerang is his roomie. Could lead to some fun/interesting storytelling.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

Amazing Member

I have an (initial) issue with this book. (I've only flipped through it.. but before that I looked at the "Behind the Scenes Edition" pencils/preview issue that they gave out.

Im undecided as to if it is Rathburn's inks, or Laura Martin's colors or BOTH but they DRASTICALLY change the look over the pencils.. ESPECIALLY the first double page spread with Cap`n and Thing.. or the page where he has Mysterio all webbed up in a cocoon.. (I'd like to someone like McFarlane ink that page) .. all through the book the coloring makes me feel like the "tone" is more cartoony or soft/less serious.. whereas a different inker/colorist could have really made those panels look badass..

Just my initial .02 on what Ive seen of the book so far..

Solid first issue. Spencer tackled the problems I had with Slott's run head on. I'm interested to see where he goes. Spencer loves Spidey's B and C-List Rogues so I hope he gives them some focus. I'm a little leery of "new villain shows up to traumatize the hero like never before" but Spencer has me on board for now.

Also one thing to keep in mind about Peter/MJ: Slott said in the past that the two of them could be a couple, even in the mainline books. But they would never, EVER get married again. For the record I believe him. Editorial is still full of guys like Quesada who grew up reading a single Spidey in the 70s. But we're also at the point where people who read a married Peter in the 80s and 90s are going to be getting into positions of authority at Marvel. So maybe with the new EiC there's been a bit of a regime change and attitudes towards the relationship have changed as well. Right now I don't think they'll get married again, but I do hope to enjoy them being a couple for a while. And damn but the call back to To Have And To Hold put a smile on my face.
    Last edited by RepHope; 07-12-2018 at 10:50 PM.

Ultimate Member

This issue was ok.

I like that things seem to be going back to basics but it was just an ok issue for me.

I had a slight problem with Spider-man's voice at some points, he seemed more like Duggan's Deadpool than normal.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    A pass on that notion. A story without time and change is where I stop reading, I don't care what "wide fandom" apparently accepts.
    A good thing the best years of Peter and MJ's relationship was often about time and change then.

You may not want to ever "care" about, or even admit to, this, but ultimately the customer is always right.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-13-2018 at 02:25 AM.

Fantastic Member

Good first issue.

Really intrigued by the new villain, and always love me some Mysterio.

As for Pete/MJ... doesn't bug me. Slott and Quesada have both said they can be a couple, just not a married one. Regardless, from this new villain, I am getting the feeling that OMD is about to get resolved... not marriage restoring, but some form of resolution to it.

Also, you'd think the heroes wouldn't have been acting like jackasses to Spidey. They should know better than that... oh well. Lizard thing is also intriguing, and can't wait to see what misadventures Pete and his new 'roommate' get into.

EDIT: Oh, and this is weird of me... but I want to see the Female Beetle and Mysterio interact more. Not saying romantically, but their interaction was pretty funny.
    Last edited by t-spider; 07-13-2018 at 03:18 AM.

“customer is always right” is one of those quaint retail slogans at the turn of the 20th c that makes a great little sound bite but only works out of context

it was quickly pointed out even back then the many ways customers can be very very very wrong.

but like a meme, its power persists and relies on nobody thinking too deeply about it
    troo fan or death

So after digesting this issue and doing a second and third reading, I think it's excellent. Easily one of the best Spider-Man issues i have read in a long time. Random thoughts:

*This should have been the blueprint for the initial BND issues and not the drastic regression of Peter's personality. As others have stated in this thread, Spencer nailed his voice/demeanor here.

*Wonderful job of classic call-backs/nods to all eras of Spidey continuity here unlike BND which often felt like an alternate universe.

*The opening 2 pages put a lump in my throat and I am not one of those "MJ or nothing" guys. If Spencer/Ottley were gonna mine a story with Peter and MJ for fodder, "To Have And To Hold" would be it and they did it masterfully----and then completed the loop with the issue's final 2 pages. Fantastic.

*One nitpick: I was surprised Flash's death wasn't referenced; I understand not getting into the whole Red Goblin thing since that just wrapped and it was Slott's baby but Flash's death (even if it isn't permanent) feels like it's something Pete should have at least thought of while swinging around. I agree we didn't need another funeral scene but a passing reference would have worked nicely considering the character's history.

*Aunt May was used perfectly.

*Like others, I was worried about the sitcom-setup with the roomies, particularly Boomerang but those fears may have been unfounded. That situation is likely temporary and glad to see Peter is not a dummy; he knows who Boomy is.

*The comeuppance with Otto's doctorate was deftly handled; it was deserved and a perfect life lesson for Pete, who---it must be said---is still learning them.

*Love how Mysterio was used in the main issue; the epilogue took a weirder and darker turn and I am a little nervous about the tone the series may take following that road but I am on board for the ride. So.....who is Mysterio's boss/"new" villain? I thought it was either Scarecrow or possibly Mephisto in a new body but I feel I need to pull my old PAD issues to get some ideas from that Mysterio arc. Anyone know?

*Ottley was a great choice for this series! Kinetic energy, bright and expressive action scenes and clear storytelling. His civilian faces, especially MJ's, seem a bit off at times but hopefully that gets better. Laura Martin's colors are perfect.

*Overall, I rate this excellent. Solid "A" and pumped for what lies ahead!

Fantastic Member

I don't think it's Mephisto... Didn't really, how do I put this, have his feel? Not sure who it could be, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Is that really such a good idea? It's be seen as ripping off the Flash, since Barry is a CSI as well.

The Superior Foes are disbanded, it's mentioned when Beetle shows up.

MJ could've taken the Iron Spider armor if she wanted, during ANAD ASM.

Pepper and Jane aren't "commoners". Pepper is Rescue, and Jane's just off the board temporarily while she recovers from her cancer. Odinson will probably make sure Odin gives her new powers when she's cured. Also, Rick and Phil are dead.
    I wish you were right about Pepper having “Rescue” still. That would be great. Poor Jane is being relegated back to Doctor Foster. Unless someone comes along and gives her a Norn Stone? Anybody?

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    “customer is always right” is one of those quaint retail slogans at the turn of the 20th c that makes a great little sound bite but only works out of context

it was quickly pointed out even back then the many ways customers can be very very very wrong.

but like a meme, its power persists and relies on nobody thinking too deeply about it
    In the context of pop culture, customers also want different things from the same object (the latest comic book issue.)
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I was disappointed with Peter being brought back to being a generic Peter Parker - always being the victim. He just walks right into the trap they set for him at ESU baiting him to fall over in public, when he could have refused to be the star. But no, the generic Peter loves the spotlight. From then on, his self esteem tumbles over a cliff as everybody piles on top of him. He was set back 15 years in this one issue. Yes, the situation would have been hard to deal with, but the boy is who showed up, not the man.

Except for the realisation he had to flee back into MJ’s arms. That was needed. The boy couldn’t handle real life, so Pete needs his mental cushion, MJ.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I was disappointed with Peter being brought back to being a generic Peter Parker - always being the victim. He just walks right into the trap they set for him at ESU baiting him to fall over in public, when he could have refused to be the star. But no, the generic Peter loves the spotlight. From then on, his self esteem tumbles over a cliff as everybody piles on top of him. He was set back 15 years in this one issue. Yes, the situation would have been hard to deal with, but the boy is who showed up, not the man.
    This is a complete mis-reading of the issue. I mean, I wouldn't think it's possible to get this issue so wrong. It's not supposed to be complicated.

1) Peter isn't a victim. He gets tripped up by the ol' Parker luck, like he often does. But he's not a "victim."

2) There was no "trap" set for him at ESU. They didn't know Peter's paper was going to be revealed as fraudulent. If anything, they picked him specifically because they felt it would be a very safe choice, that Peter's credentials were fully earned. Peter just had the bad luck of them picking a paper that was written by Ock. They weren't trying to publicly "out" him in any way. They were completely taken aback by the results.

3) It would have been weird if Peter refused to get up on stage. He doesn't go up there looking for attention. They surprise him with the request and he politely goes along with it. He's not looking for the spotlight.

4) His self-esteem doesn't take that much of a hit. Given the events of the issue, Peter is relatively sanguine about it all. He doesn't blame ESU, he's not mad at Robbie for canning him and he's not even sore at his fellow heroes for treating him like an unwelcome guest. In short, he deals with things like an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Except for the realisation he had to flee back into MJ’s arms. That was needed. The boy couldn’t handle real life, so Pete needs his mental cushion, MJ.
    Peter can fully handle real life. Deciding that he shouldn't continue to keep MJ at arm's length isn't "fleeing" back to her. And she isn't a "mental cushion," she's the primary romantic interest of his adult life. Just because people decide to be together, it's not out of weakness or because life is too tough alone - it's because they just want to be in each other's company.
    Last edited by Prof. Warren; 07-13-2018 at 05:56 AM.