Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I wish you were right about Pepper having “Rescue” still. That would be great. Poor Jane is being relegated back to Doctor Foster. Unless someone comes along and gives her a Norn Stone? Anybody?
    I wish Pepper was Rescue still as well. The problem is, last time she showed up in armor, they didn't call her Rescue. It's so frustrating, since I loved the Rescue parts of Fraction's Iron Man.

I was disappointed with Peter being brought back to being a generic Peter Parker - always being the victim. He just walks right into the trap they set for him at ESU baiting him to fall over in public, when he could have refused to be the star. But no, the generic Peter loves the spotlight. From then on, his self esteem tumbles over a cliff as everybody piles on top of him. He was set back 15 years in this one issue. Yes, the situation would have been hard to deal with, but the boy is who showed up, not the man.

Except for the realisation he had to flee back into MJ’s arms. That was needed. The boy couldn’t handle real life, so Pete needs his mental cushion, MJ.
    I don't love the background tone of "Peter is a loser" that even my favorite main continuity run (JMS) sometimes hits too hard, but I thought this was all very sensible, continuity related failure. But describing Peter and MJ's relationship as a pillow isn't accurate, I think. They're partners, and they give each other hope for tomorrow. That's not just leaning your head on a soft piece of upholstery.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    4) His self-esteem doesn't take that much of a hit. Given the events of the issue, Peter is relatively sanguine about it all. He doesn't blame ESU, he's not mad at Robbie for canning him and he's not even sore at his fellow heroes for treating him like an unwelcome guest. In short, he deals with things like an adult.

Peter can fully handle real life. Deciding that he shouldn't continue to keep MJ at arm's length isn't "fleeing" back to her. And she isn't a "mental cushion," she's the primary romantic interest of his adult life. Just because people decide to be together, it's not out of weakness of because life is too tough alone - it's because they just want to be in each other's company.
    Well said. If anything, his wry "Oh, no, the respect of my peers" was pretty mature, I thought.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    In the context of pop culture, customers also want different things from the same object (the latest comic book issue.)
    yeah, audiences are very different now
    troo fan or death

so why did peter's "plagiarism" have to be publicly outed? that should be an ethical breach on the administration's part. they should have had a private meeting with him and that's that. Peter should have grounds to sue ESU.
    and what's up with aunt may's reaction? doesn't she still know that Peter is Spiderman?
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 07-13-2018 at 07:52 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    so why did peter's "plagiarism" have to be publicly outed? that should be an ethical breach on the administration's part. they should have had a private meeting with him and that's that. Peter should have grounds to sue ESU.
    Because no one intended to publicly out him. No one thought Peter's paper would be bogus.

They picked him because it seemed like he would be a completely safe choice for a public demonstration.

And how could Peter possibly sue ESU? For all intents and purposes, it looks like he defrauded them and cheated his way into a doctorate.

I wish you were right about Pepper having “Rescue” still. That would be great. Poor Jane is being relegated back to Doctor Foster. Unless someone comes along and gives her a Norn Stone? Anybody?
    Pepper is still Rescue, she was that when she popped up in Riri's Iron Man book, and she was apart of the Underground as Rescue during Secret Empire, although as a background character.

and what's up with aunt may's reaction? doesn't she still know that Peter is Spiderman?
    After everything that's happened, I would say Aunt May's reaction is perfectly reasonable and understandable. And based on what she's done in Slott's run, I'm still under the impression she does know he's Spider-Man, but is keeping it to herself, like Robbie probably is, but is still reacting to Peter with a sense of disappointment as if she doesn't know.
    Last edited by Inversed; 07-13-2018 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    Pepper is still Rescue, she was that when she popped up in Riri's Iron Man book, and she was apart of the Underground as Rescue during Secret Empire, although as a background character.

After everything that's happened, I would say Aunt May's reaction is perfectly reasonable and understandable. And based on what she's done in Slott's run, I'm still under the impression she does know he's Spider-Man, but is keeping it to herself, like Robbie probably is, but is still reacting to Peter with a sense of disappointment as if she doesn't know.
    Did they use that name? What issues?

BANNED

Read it again today on my lunch

It's a great issue and it's so refreshing to have a non bitch MJ in the book or a man child.

I like Slott but his Spider-man was like an 80s/90s teen movie idiot and his supporting case was awful

The going out swinging arc doesn't redeem anything IMO, it felt rushed and shoved all the cast in for the sake of it after not a peep from most of them for years.

I was disappointed with Peter being brought back to being a generic Peter Parker - always being the victim. He just walks right into the trap they set for him at ESU baiting him to fall over in public, when he could have refused to be the star. But no, the generic Peter loves the spotlight. From then on, his self esteem tumbles over a cliff as everybody piles on top of him. He was set back 15 years in this one issue. Yes, the situation would have been hard to deal with, but the boy is who showed up, not the man.

Except for the realisation he had to flee back into MJ’s arms. That was needed. The boy couldn’t handle real life, so Pete needs his mental cushion, MJ.
    It's already been explained above that this was not a trap, it was a demonstration and they had no idea Peter's paper was plagiarized--they called him up because they respected him.

I feel like your read on the issue is backwards.

The boy is the one that decided to build a company and a life on a fraudulent foundation, using credentials he did not earn. The man is found in this issue--taking responsibility for his mistake, no matter how difficult, and without making excuses.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERlips View Post
    The boy is the one that decided to build a company and a life on a fraudulent foundation, using credentials he did not earn. The man is found in this issue--taking responsibility for his mistake, no matter how difficult, and without making excuses.
    It's very similar to his first appearance in Amazing Fantasy. He lucked into some power, used it for his own benefit and when it comes back to bite him in the ass he takes responsibility for it.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    It's very similar to his first appearance in Amazing Fantasy. He lucked into some power, used it for his own benefit and when it comes back to bite him in the ass he takes responsibility for it.
    Exactly. That first appearance was a teenager. A boy, learning and growing up.

I'm combating the notion set forth by jackolover that the Peter who made the mistake was the "man" and the one we see here in ASM#1 taking responsibility is the "boy", as if owning up to your mistakes is somehow a regression.

Because it was more dramatic to do it that way.

In real life ESU none of this would happen this way, but in comics ESU you get the Lizard as a professor. There are tradeoffs.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

BANNED

She hasn't known Peter's identity for ten years, where have you been?
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-13-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Even if Aunt May does know Peter is Spider-Man, and Peter knows that Aunt May knows, he still screwed up when he built a career/company/life on top of a degree that he never earned. Maybe Otto's actions aren't Peter's fault, but Peter ran with it. That's on him.

Ever since Nick Spencer was announced he'd be taking over from Dan Slott, the question has been, "Which Nick Spencer will we get? The 'Superior Foes of Spider-Man' Nick Spencer, or the 'Secret Empire' Nick Spencer?" Well, after reading Amazing Spider-Man #1, it's definitely not "'Secret Empire' Nick Spencer". In fact, I think it's safe to say I am one very happy Spidey fan!

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man (2018) #1 review
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton