Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    It would still feel like sweeping aside too big an issue without any journey to get there.
    So, not all that different from when Spencer revived Cassie Lang?

(Because of Axis, an inverted Doctor Doom felt guilty about killing the teenager and arranged a situation that allowed him to steal some of the inverted Scarlet Witch's magical abilities and used those to revive Cassie. Scott Lang did nothing in that story. It very much reads like a "fix fic" for Spencer's then-upcoming Ant-Man run, which put a lot of emphasis on the daddy/daughter relationship. )

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    Ever since Nick Spencer was announced he'd be taking over from Dan Slott, the question has been, "Which Nick Spencer will we get? The 'Superior Foes of Spider-Man' Nick Spencer, or the 'Secret Empire' Nick Spencer?" Well, after reading Amazing Spider-Man #1, it's definitely not "'Secret Empire' Nick Spencer". In fact, I think it's safe to say I am one very happy Spidey fan!

Stillanerd Reviews: Amazing Spider-Man (2018) #1 review
    That was the question. I love Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Hilarious book.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Did they use that name? What issues?
    In Invincible Iron Man (Ironheart) #1-5, Pepper shows up in the Rescue armour, and Riri directly refers to her as Rescue, and she's in the Rescue suit during Secret Empire, but she's a background character in that so they never name her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I wonder how the ending of Spencer's first issue would have read if Slott's scenes of MJ shooting down reconciling with Peter in "Go Down Swinging" did not happen.
    That's like the one scene in the Go Down Swinging arc I don't like, because it feels completely out of nowhere and out of character, especially after the previous issue, and doesn't add anything to or effect the story at all. All it does is contrive a reason for Norman to see Spider-Man leaving her apartment.

Really liked this issue. Enjoyed the narrative style a lot. I've never cared one way or the other about Pete & MJ getting back together, but that last surprise panel gave me goose bumps. Definitely some funny moments in here also..."Bye Felicia!", and the Call of Duty-Latveria scene. I think I would like to see Aunt May find out Pete's secret again. I'm going to follow the advice of the Editor page & attempt to avoid the previews for awhile. It was sooo nice to actually get surprised. I had my doubts about the color scheme fitting into an ASM book, but I was 100% wrong. Ottley & his crew killed it. Can't wait for the next issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The concept is woefully misunderstood by almost everyone. "The customer is always right" is a policy for how you speak with a customer . . . not giving in to whatever they demand. You never speak to them in a way that is accusatory or implies they don't know what they want or that bluntly tells them they're wrong. You soft sell it.
    i was gonna say but figured someone else would pick up the ball...you’re right. “treat the customer with respect” is the essence

it’s helpful to remember that it sprung up at a time when many merchants actively swindled customers, so any store touting that slogan was comforting
    troo fan or death

So, not all that different from when Spencer revived Cassie Lang?

(Because of Axis, an inverted Doctor Doom felt guilty about killing the teenager and arranged a situation that allowed him to steal some of the inverted Scarlet Witch's magical abilities and used those to revive Cassie. Scott Lang did nothing in that story. It very much reads like a "fix fic" for Spencer's then-upcoming Ant-Man run, which put a lot of emphasis on the daddy/daughter relationship. )

i’d usually agree with this not being earned, but a few of my favourite tv shows have essentially time skipped to the “interesting” bits without showing the development

which i used to hate, but i’m learning to appreciate

i’d also assume that slott was aware of what spencer was planning and might have taken it into account with his last arc
    troo fan or death

World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

I really liked that "Bye, Felicia!" joke. My favorite humorous moment in the book. Probably the only time I've laughed out loud at a comic in at least a year.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackspidey2099 View Post
    I really liked that "Bye, Felicia!" joke. My favorite humorous moment in the book. Probably the only time I've laughed out loud at a comic in at least a year.
    I found that bit confusing. Last I remember (and this is with a recent re-reading of everything from Brand New Day through Issue 801) Black Cat hated Spider-Man with the heat of 1000 suns... So why was she there besides giving Spider-Man a set up for a bad joke? Was there some sort of reconciliation that was in some other book that I didn't know about? When did Black Cat stop trying to be the female Kingpin? I really do feel that I'm missing something between the two and Black Cat in general.

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    I found that bit confusing. Last I remember (and this is with a recent re-reading of everything from Brand New Day through Issue 801) Black Cat hated Spider-Man with the heat of 1000 suns... So why was she there besides giving Spider-Man a set up for a bad joke? Was there some sort of reconciliation that was in some other book that I didn't know about? When did Black Cat stop trying to be the female Kingpin? I really do feel that I'm missing something between the two and Black Cat in general.
    I think it was Venom Inc. when she stopped with the Queenpin nonsense. Not sure if there was an actual reconciliation with Spider though.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    I think it was Venom Inc. when she stopped with the Queenpin nonsense. Not sure if there was an actual reconciliation with Spider though.
    Yeah, Venom (Eddie Brock) of all people talked her out of being Queenpin. It was as awkward as it sounds given the characters shared history lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Bendis had an alternative explanation for her return to good in the closing issues of his Defenders run.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Fairly uplifting, definitely not tragic and with as much closure as one gets in serialized comics.

If you get the Spencer Ant-Man collection, it's basically like one big Ant-Man novel.
    Did you read Spencer's Ant-Man run? That seems to be a pretty solid basis for what we can expect from this run. (Bonus, Spencer's Ant-Man ALSO has Beetle in it. )
    Thanks to these two recommendations, I have now read Spencer's Ant-Man mini, and the ongoing. Very well crafted, though also very Spencer. I hope he's a little less cynical for Spider-Man, but the general tone and plotting is excellent for a Spider-Man story. Thanks, fellow posters! Very much enjoyed the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    In Invincible Iron Man (Ironheart) #1-5, Pepper shows up in the Rescue armour, and Riri directly refers to her as Rescue, and she's in the Rescue suit during Secret Empire, but she's a background character in that so they never name her.
    Interesting. Cool to know someone remembered it. I was so mad in Superior Iron-Man when Pepper had the armor, but they never referred to her as Rescue.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

I’m a bit late to the party but we’ve had marching band start up at the school I work with, so I was finally able to get my comics yesterday. WOW is all I can say to issue 1, when I finished I was just grinning. Spencer nailed it!!! The art was gorgeous, the story was funny, light hearted, and had a lot of heart in it as well. Really looking forward to the this run.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    A good thing the best years of Peter and MJ's relationship was often about time and change then.

You may not want to ever "care" about, or even admit to, this, but ultimately the customer is always right.
    But... I'm a customer.

Also, "never change this forever!" = stagnation. Without Gwen Stacy dying in the first place, there'd be no Peter and MJ. Without MJ being written out of the book in the late 70's - early 80's, there wouldn't have been a Felicia Hardy.
    You may not want to ever care about or even admit this, but characters need to move and be shuffled about so others can evolve and new ones can appear.
    Adversely, retreading old ground is the exact opposite of time and change. But let's see where this goes.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    But... I'm a customer.

Also, "never change this forever!" = stagnation. Without Gwen Stacy dying in the first place, there'd be no Peter and MJ. Without MJ being written out of the book in the late 70's - early 80's, there wouldn't have been a Felicia Hardy.
    You may not want to ever care about or even admit this, but characters need to move and be shuffled about so others can evolve and new ones can appear.
    Adversely, retreading old ground is the exact opposite of time and change. But let's see where this goes.
    I imagine this will be a more complex situation than "We're back together, everything's perfect!".

I'm sure there's going to be, as there should be, various twists and turns ahead.