Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yeah, that could definitely be the case!
    The Burglar lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey_62 View Post
    The Burglar lol.
    Hahaha! Spencer's going for the deep cut!

Unpopular opinion: I thought this was a bit boring! And I didn't like the art, at all.

I am thankful that Peter is finally dealing with the plagiarism/Dr Oct PhD issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by JGC View Post
    Wow.

I dropped comics alltogether after ASM 801... truth be told I haven’t enjoyed the Spidey titles in years (except PPSSM) and felt it was time to walk away. I met Spencer at Montreal ComicCon last weekend and he told me some elements coming up in the book so I decided to buy his issue 1.

Wow, I feel like a friend I’ve missed for years has returned. I’m back collecting and look forward to reading “this” Spidey again.

Thanks Nick.
    So you literally skipped ZERO issues? Cool stuff, my dude.

Is weird man at the end Dr Oct's old corpse? Isn't it still missing. Looked them it had one oct arm? Who knows!! YOLO unless in comics.

Mighty Member

I am very glad that Mary Jane is back in the Amazing Spider-Man comic as Peter's confidant and love interest.
    It's about time and long overdue.

I thought Marvel had something against Peter being with Mary Jane.
    I guess it was more about Dan Slott just not like using Mary Jane.

I am glad that Nick Spencer is going to be using Mary Jane as a big part of The Amazing Spider-Man.
    I am curious how the sales will be after the first issue.

I know that Peter and Mary Jane getting back together doesn't necessarily mean that One More Day will be undone and Spider-Marriage will return.
    I'd be satisfied with them just as a romantic couple.

I am back to liking Spider-Man comics now.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Just read this issue (I've been very busy) and the reveal at the end made me smile from ear to ear. Thank you Marvel for making one of the best couples in comics a couple again. FINALLY
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Very late in posting on this thread but I really enjoyed the first issue and am very excited to have MJ back in the book in full force!

This is a complete mis-reading of the issue. I mean, I wouldn't think it's possible to get this issue so wrong. It's not supposed to be complicated.

1) Peter isn't a victim. He gets tripped up by the ol' Parker luck, like he often does. But he's not a "victim."

2) There was no "trap" set for him at ESU. They didn't know Peter's paper was going to be revealed as fraudulent. If anything, they picked him specifically because they felt it would be a very safe choice, that Peter's credentials were fully earned. Peter just had the bad luck of them picking a paper that was written by Ock. They weren't trying to publicly "out" him in any way. They were completely taken aback by the results.

3) It would have been weird if Peter refused to get up on stage. He doesn't go up there looking for attention. They surprise him with the request and he politely goes along with it. He's not looking for the spotlight.

4) His self-esteem doesn't take that much of a hit. Given the events of the issue, Peter is relatively sanguine about it all. He doesn't blame ESU, he's not mad at Robbie for canning him and he's not even sore at his fellow heroes for treating him like an unwelcome guest. In short, he deals with things like an adult.

Peter can fully handle real life. Deciding that he shouldn't continue to keep MJ at arm's length isn't "fleeing" back to her. And she isn't a "mental cushion," she's the primary romantic interest of his adult life. Just because people decide to be together, it's not out of weakness or because life is too tough alone - it's because they just want to be in each other's company.
    He never wanted to rekindle their romance before this issue. Sure looks like Peter is in desperate need for something MJ can give.

Quote Originally Posted by Seto Kaiba View Post
    And we're back to "Down on his luck" Peter. Because we can't possibly have him successful for any stretch of time.

And yet.........I'm surprisingly okay with it. The issue reminds me a lot of the late 90s stories. Except the fact that everyone in the super hero community seems to hate him. THAT was a little much.

And MJ....."We're in this together Peter......except when I walked out on you because I can't handle Spider-Man." I REALLY hope that 1) we get a reason for this about face and 2) that it isn't another fake out. I'm perfectly fine with them NOT being married. But if you want to put them back together then just do it. None of this constant teasing and fake outs.

All in all, I am excited to see where things go.
    I can see where MJ is coming from. She sees Peter in panic mode because of all the respect he gained in his life has just been stripped away, so MJ is mothering Peter here. Before, Peter was in a good place being an Avenger, in the FF, a respected scientist, so why should MJ go back to that Peter Parker who isn’t vulnerable and doesn’t need her? Now? Tables are turned and MJ can sympathise with this Peter now.

Just remember MJ’s character. She’s just as vulnerable and brittle as Peter. Remember her behaviour after her kidnapping and return? She was a mess. Getting jilted at the altar? The Clone Saga had MJ dislocated from Peter. That’s going to hurt a poor vulnerable soul like MJ. Peter would have to come crawling back before she would entertain Peter again. And he did. I don’t know how Peter would have taken it if MJ also abandoned him. I think this is a perfect way that Nick Spencer has found to bring these two souls to a place where they remember why they were so good together, and it is such a gratifying moment when MJ immerses in Spideys misery like she has. It reminds me of the post-death scene where MJ stayed inside and chose to stay with Peter after the Goblin killed his girlfriend.
    Last edited by jackolover; 07-29-2018 at 07:24 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    He never wanted to rekindle their romance before this issue.
    Peter was written out of character before this issue

BANNED

He never wanted to rekindle their romance before this issue.
    No, Dan Slott never wanted to rekindle their romance.

Peter is a fictional character who doesn't "want" anything.

Sure looks like Peter is in desperate need for something MJ can give.
    Peter is not portrayed as being "desperate" in this issue. He comes to realize that his feelings for MJ are something that hasn't gone away.

He isn't desperate. He isn't a sad sack. He isn't in "panic mode." To have any of that as your takeaway from this issue is a complete misreading of what's on the page.

Peter simply comes to a point where he's ready to express his desire to be with MJ again. And MJ is ebullient to respond to Peter in kind. Does that make her "desperate" too? No, they just know that what they had is still there.

I was going through the rogues gallery trying to think of who this new mystery character was that showed up with Mysterio at the end of this issue. I had this funny feeling of hmmm.... could be ... when I landed on Judas Traveller?!

No, Dan Slott never wanted to rekindle their romance.

Peter is a fictional character who doesn't "want" anything.

Peter is not portrayed as being "desperate" in this issue. He comes to realize that his feelings for MJ are something that hasn't gone away.

He isn't desperate. He isn't a sad sack. He isn't in "panic mode." To have any of that as your takeaway from this issue is a complete misreading of what's on the page.

Peter simply comes to a point where he's ready to express his desire to be with MJ again. And MJ is ebullient to respond to Peter in kind. Does that make her "desperate" too? No, they just know that what they had is still there.
    Well certainly the Dan Slott affect on ASM has been very strong. If that spell has now been lifted, I’m sure that would explain all your arguments that Peter and MJ never needed anything more than to just get back together and they would. But with the Dan Slott affect still in place, I still say Peter and MJ didn’t hook up because of One More Day - they tried it and decided it wouldn’t work. Ergo, if OMD isn’t an argument anymore, then something else is. Maybe the desperate situation?

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I was going through the rogues gallery trying to think of who this new mystery character was that showed up with Mysterio at the end of this issue. I had this funny feeling of hmmm.... could be ... when I landed on Judas Traveller?!
    Ugh. I never got Judas Traveller, he was one of the weirdest things to come out of the Clone Saga (and that’s saying something). One of the few “misses” by JM Dematteis.

- Jason G. Carr