Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    At this point I wonder exactly what type of job can Peter get at this point?

Like, he got exposed doctoring photos before so he can't return to photography. Parker Industries went belly up. Now he got exposed as a "plagiarist" so he can't exactly become a researcher anymore.

Maybe a Forensics Scientist like his MC2 counterpart?
    You know, Spencer is the one who had Cassie Lang become Stinger like her MC2 counterpart. Maybe he really is a big DeFalco fan.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    On the other hand, ESU is giving Peter another chance thankd to Connors
    I guess Nick wanted to have Peter earn the doctorate on his own merit.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnatellodi View Post
    Congrats on everyone enjoying the issue.

I haven't read it yet, but I have to wonder how much of the warm reception is based on the outcome with Mary Jane VS appreciation of the craft of the storytelling on display. Everyone is entitled to like whatever they want about it, but I'm hoping it's more to do with the latter. I grew up with Peter and Mary Jane, but I don't necessarily get excited about the idea of them being together.
    Obviously the Peter/MJ stuff helps (indeed, I have criticisms of the reunion as much as I'm still pleased by it as it clashes with the tone and delivery of Slott's statement on the two in Go Down Swinging), but I also liked it for the real growth Peter has here, owning up to the fact he exploited Otto's doctorate and just sort of let it hang over him while he rode the success it provided, and Aunt May being disappointed in him is always a terrific emotional sting to inflict as that's the mother figure.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Obviously the Peter/MJ stuff helps (indeed, I have criticisms of the reunion as much as I'm still pleased by it as it clashes with the tone and delivery of Slott's statement on the two in Go Down Swinging), but I also liked it for the real growth Peter has here, owning up to the fact he exploited Otto's doctorate and just sort of let it hang over him while he rode the success it provided, and Aunt May being disappointed in him is always a terrific emotional sting to inflict as that's the mother figure.
    Cool!

I think I'll pick it up. From the amount of previews I'm seeing, I'm really enjoying the art from Ryan Ottley, and whoever is inking/coloring (Sorry I don't have the names). I've seen some complaints this his faces can be a bit jarring or unflattering - I can agree with that, but the Spidey action is very kinetic, the colors and inks really pop. It's great to look at.

Astonishing Member

I liked this alot I hope it stick, but one thing, it seems after Slott written her out, Sajani is rearing her ugly lying head being bitter and petty from what that news report say. I hope its just a mention and we dont see her fully again unless she gets what she deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    I guess Nick wanted to have Peter earn the doctorate on his own merit.
    Which is a great choice as Peter doesn't need to ride on Otto's coattails. He is more than capable of earning his own degree and hopefully starting his own company someday.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

All in all, it was a solid issue with several great moments which have already been touched on extensively by others. I enjoyed reading the issue.

BANNED

I haven't read it yet, but I have to wonder how much of the warm reception is based on the outcome with Mary Jane VS appreciation of the craft of the storytelling on display. Everyone is entitled to like whatever they want about it, but I'm hoping it's more to do with the latter. I grew up with Peter and Mary Jane, but I don't necessarily get excited about the idea of them being together.
    I'm sure a lot of the goodwill coming off this book is a result of the MJ thing, but the praise is well-deserved regardless. Spencer introduced loads of intriguing plotlines, juggled between the rogues' gallery and Pete's personal life, and managed to make Pete come off as an actual adult for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    I'm sure a lot of the goodwill coming off this book is a result of the MJ thing, but the praise is well-deserved regardless. Spencer introduced loads of intriguing plotlines, juggled between the rogues' gallery and Pete's personal life, and managed to make Pete come off as an actual adult for once.
    The best part IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudman View Post
    This shouldn't be that surprising. Spencer is really good at first issues. Probably one of the best in the industry. This issue is no exception. Spencer uses elements from Slott's run to build up the stories he wants to tell while also taking Peter away from where Slott had left him. All while keeping it as "new reader friendly" as possible.

Honestly, I was a little choked up after finishing this. It was everything I was looking for in a Spider-Man comic! Absolutely perfect from start to finish. It's nice to see Spencer understands that the "ol' Parker luck" isn't just Spider-Man's pants falling down while sad trombone music plays, but actually has real repercussions on his life.

I also really like the idea of the New Beetle operating as a lawyer for supervillains. She is easily one of my favorite "legacy characters" and it's great to see two of Spencer's "Superior Foes" make guest appearances. I hope she has a recurring role in this title! (And maybe even "Daredevil" now and then in her civilian guise.)

4 out of 4 stars from me.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

With Spencer as writer, I do wonder how long until Sam Wilson and Scott Lang pop up.

BANNED

Wow!!! Bravo to Spencer, Ottley, and everyone else involved in bringing this issue to life!

Man, that was some damn good Spidey-ing!! Spot-on characterizations across the board, excellent use of continuity, some real laugh out loud moments, perfect use of the Ol' Parker Luck, along with several genuine (and welcome) surprises...Spencer and co. absolutely crushed it right out of the gate.

If this issue had just included the main story, it would've been my favorite first issue in awhile (which is saying something as there's some some freaking fantastic first issues lately) but the Ramos-illustrated back end of the issue was killer, too! Did NOT expect that final twist. Kudos to Marvel for keeping all these crazy surprises under wraps!

This was the first book on my pile today. After I was done, I went to start another book but just put it down...nothing else is gonna top this this week. I'm sure there's other good stuff waiting to be read but this was SO good that it wouldn't be fair to not give my other titles some breathing room.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    With Spencer as writer, I do wonder how long until Sam Wilson and Scott Lang pop up.
    I wouldn't mind seeing either of those two pop up in ASM at some point. Scott, especially, would make a great guest star.

just finished the issue I enjoyed the moment towards the end, however, I'm still going to be skeptical of it cause I dont want to be played again. However the artwork looks cool excited to see the rest of this run

I'm not one to get over worked up about the Spider-marriage like others here, (Hell, tbh I'm a Spidey/ Black Cat shipper) but it was fantastic to see some actual romance in the book for a change. Peter Parker is a character that needs romantic subplots in his life (And the previous Slott run seemed too intent on hooking him up with characters that spent most of the time cutting him down, rather than making him feel appreciated, which is not healthy for a relationship.)

But even without the Peter/MJ stuff, I'd easily recommended the issue. The Mysterio subplot, picking up threads from the old Peter David Sensational Spider-Man run is fascinating, jumping from comedy to the horrific as Beck himself starts to question his own sanity.
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"