Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Your Top Five Favorite Spider-Man Runs Ever

Just curious to see what everyone else on here thinks are the best Spider-Man collaborations of all time. In any continuity, mainstream or otherwise. It might help a new reader decide what to look at first, or a person like me, who has their faves and has actually been pretty close minded to some of the other stuff I didn't really like at first glance.
    I'm talking about writer/artist runs here. I'm aware that many writers and artists have left the comics at different times and may have worked with several others on the same run, but to me story and art are equally important, so I want to hear about your five favorite Spider teams, the issues that they did and why you love them.
    Here are mine;

1. Amazing Spider-Man vol 2 #30-58, vol. 1 #500-508
    By J. Michael Straczynski and John Romita Jr.
    I know that Straczynski's run went south literally right after Romita Jr. left, but these 38 stories are some of the best Spider-Man comic books of all time, in my opinion. Morlun, Dr. Octopus, Doctor Strange and just a much needed level of quality storytelling that had been missing for many years in the comics. The fact that Romita Jr. is my favorite Spider-Man artist of all time definitely put this one over the top for me. My top 4 are pretty interchangeable, but Romita Jr. is at his absolute best here, and that's enough to make this run my number one. Combined with Scott Hanna's inks and the gorgeous colors, this run looks even better than it reads.

2. Spectacular Spider-Man #178-200
    By J.M. Dematteis and Sal Buscema
    I will always have a soft spot for this one since I read it as it came out when I was a kid. My very first comic was Spectacular Spider-Man #234, the first issue of Sal Buscema's very long run on the title, but it was only when J.M. came on as the writer 3 years later that I became so engrossed in a comic book story that I couldn't wait for the next month to find out what happened next. The fact that this run culminated with possibly the greatest and most moving single issue Spider-Man story ever produced in issue 200 just topped it all off so nicely. Talk about a payoff. It brought tears to my 12 year old eyes.

3. Amazing Spider-Man #224-251
    By Roger Stern and John Romita Jr.
    I know this one is discussed often on this forum and rightfully so. Pretty much Spider-Man at his best. The thing that impresses me the most about this one is that other than 'Murder by Spider' in #228 and the Stilt Man story in #237, both of which Romita Jr. didn't draw, there is not a single sub par story in the whole run. A couple of the best Vulture stories ever, the Black Cat, that classic Juggernaut story, the Cobra and Mr. Hyde, the Roxxon/Will'o'the Wisp story were all just great. Of course it all led up to that amazing Hobgoblin story for the last year or so. No one has done the Hobgoblin better that Stern. This run started strong and finished even stronger.

Amazing Spider-Man #39-123
    By Stan Lee, Gerry Conway and John Romita Sr., Gil Kane
    This is a weird one to figure. Just because there was so much over lap between these guys. Conway scripted over Lee's plots for his first few issues and Romita went from pencilling to inking over Kane in issue 89. But you can't deny the impact or importance of the stories included in these 85 issues. The Green Goblin unmasking Peter, the debut of The Kingpin and his emergance as Spider-Man's greatest enemy, several crazy Doc Ock stories, the introduction of Mary Jane, the death of Captain Stacy, the entirety of Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy's romance and finally her death along with the apparent (and the never should have been retconned) death of Norman Osborn.
    Add in the absolute mastery of John Romita's amazing artwork, and these are all must read stories.

5. Spider-Man 2099 #1-25
    By Peter David and Rick Leonardi
    I had a really easy time picking four runs and a very difficult time thinking of a fifth one. Though this one doesn't come close to the other four for me, I immensely enjoyed this comic as a kid. I really liked Miguel O'Hara and I love Peter David's writing. This was a really cool and original idea.

I thought about the first 38 issues Lee and Ditko did, as I realize their importance and originality, but have always hated Ditko's artwork and stories featuring Peter as a high school student. I much prefer him as a college age guy with a little more confidence, rather than the science nerd Lee and Ditko protrayed him as.
    So there are my five. What do you guys think? What are your five faves? I really want to know some other Spider-Man fans' favorites because I've read and re-read these comics. If anyone suggests something on par with these stories I would be grateful.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

You know, I actually like the "Murder by Spider" story! It was one of my earliest Spider-Man memories and man, the story terrified me as a kid.

I have a hard time placing what my top five would be, but I can say what my top choice is, and that probably has to be Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man from 2000 to 2011 (and even including the Miles Morales era from 2011 to 2015).

I feel the run is the most consistent in terms of quality and overall enjoyment, I love the combination of variety in terms of the storytelling, mixed in with all of the excellent intimate and character moments that make it shine. It reinvents all of the characters in such a perfect way, and all of the wonderful dynamics and developments that come from it. Bagley's art is also of course excellent, and even all of the follow-up artists, Immonen, Lafuente, Pichelli, and Marquez I thought were great too!

Plus as an added bonus, I think the run is the easiest for anybody to jump in and read, with the perfect pacing for the trades.

1. Lee/Ditko
    2. Lee/Romita
    3. Thomas/Kane
    4. Stern/JRJR
    5. Michelinie/McFarlane
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Bendis/Bagley
    Lee/Romita
    Lee/Ditko
    Wein/Andru
    DeFalco/Frenz
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Not sure if I can get as specific as you did but off the top of my head:
    1. Lee - I mean you can’t really not include the legend himself!
    2. JMS- Really enjoyed his take and run on Spider-Man.
    3. Conway
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I have a hard time placing what my top five would be, but I can say what my top choice is, and that probably has to be Brian Michael Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man from 2000 to 2011 (and even including the Miles Morales era from 2011 to 2015).

I feel the run is the most consistent in terms of quality and overall enjoyment, I love the combination of variety in terms of the storytelling, mixed in with all of the excellent intimate and character moments that make it shine. It reinvents all of the characters in such a perfect way, and all of the wonderful dynamics and developments that come from it. Bagley's art is also of course excellent, and even all of the follow-up artists, Immonen, Lafuente, Pichelli, and Marquez I thought were great too!

Plus as an added bonus, I think the run is the easiest for anybody to jump in and read, with the perfect pacing for the trades.
    Agreed! Bendis/Bagley were able to keep it going for the entire run, which is rare.

All-New Member

Default Favorite Spider-Man Run?

Mine is definetly the Ultimate Spider-Man run by Bendis, it was very consistent and the characters were all very well done.

JMS’ and Conway’s are my fav ASM runs.

Of other titles. The entirety of ultimate spider-Man.

PAD’s Friendly Neighbourhood,

JMD’s Spectacular.

That’s prob my top stuff.

BANNED

Too many great Spidey runs to pick a singe run as #1 but, outside of the Lee/Ditko/Romita Sr. runs, which exist in a class by themselves, I'd go with:

Conway/Andru

Wein/Andru

and DeFalco/Frenz as my sentimental faves.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NKino808 View Post
    Mine is definetly the Ultimate Spider-Man run by Bendis, it was very consistent and the characters were all very well done.
    I love Ultimate Spider-Man up until the end of the Clone Saga. After that, the Venom arc wasn't very fun, and Ultimatum screwed up everything after that.

It's a curse. My other favorite run is JMS. And that has a crummy ending, too. (I just imagine it ends before Civil War. )
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Since I haven't read the modern ones, from my childhood it's Web of Spider-Man drawn by Alex Saviuk. I don't know if the story's good or not by any standard but I really like the art.
    bab2e9c9ba2402645c06ea8058822921._SX1280_QL80_TTD_.jpg
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-11-2018 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NKino808 View Post
    That's my favorite too.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)