Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Question If You Wrote Comics: Black Panther

In honour of having grossed billions in the box office and the fact that they have shot him into spce I pulled the trigger. So welcome to another If You Wrote Comics thread. This time we will be talking about Black Panther, the King of Wakanda. Just imagine that Marvel Comics gave you full reign over T'Challa, his supporting characters, and rogues gallery. So as always let loose, live, have fun and maybe find a new direction for Black Panther. And I will throw my hat in by removing Ayo and Aneka from the Dora Miljae because them being there makes no sense because apart from being the personal guard of the King of Wakanda they are also his potential wives so them being there to makes no sense at all. And when it comes to harem part of the purpose is marry the women in the harem.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 07-11-2018 at 04:43 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    And I will throw my hat in by removing Ayo and Aneka from the Dora Miljae because them being there makes no sense because apart from being the personal guard of the King of Wakanda they are also his potential wives so them being there to makes no sense at all. And when it comes to harem part of the purpose is marry the women in the harem.
    No, what you remove is the entire bit about the Dora being potential wives.

BANNED

First and foremost, there is no 'harem" component inherent within the concept of the Dora Milaje so let's dead that misrepresentation right there.

As for what I would do if I had the chance to pen T' Challa's post Hickman story, I would have followed on directly from where Hickman left things at the close of Secret Wars II with a restored Wakanda developing their Space Program further and exploring how this development would impact upon extraterrestrial races such as the Kree and Skrull's.

Having T'challa further develop his own signature Shadow Physics and King of the Dead abilities and incorporating all of these into his overall repertoire would be something I'd do as well in addition to exploring Wakanda's relationship with the rest of the MU that abandoned them to the tender mercies of Thanos and his Cull Obsidian.

What would diplomatic relations be like in the aftermath of Wakanda being thrown to the proverbial wolves and how would T'challa relate to most of the heroes he'd provided support to during AvX abandoning him in his time of need.

Those are things I'd explore if I was writing the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It has been.

Really wasn't a thing since Priest. and even then, Priest was explicit that T'challa wanted no part of it and it was done only to stop tribal feuding.

Since then, the doras have been nothing more than body guards or elite soldiers.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

The bit about teenage girls being wives in training was pretty problematic … fortunately Coates already got rid of it once and for all. So no need for any of us to do a thing in that regard.

As far as some things I might do... I would have Black Panther and Storm reform the Uncanny Avengers unity Squad (and I'd keep T'Challa on the main Avengers teams as well... I have no issue with a single character doing double duty on multiple super hero teams).

I'd give Shuri some sort of official title like Regent or whatever, so that she effectively runs Wakanda on a day to day level while T'Challa is off being super hero, BUT he can always return anytime he wants when he needs to be king.

During Infinity, we were shown a Wakandan school for meta human. Maybe they can reopen and expand on that. Storm can be the headmistress of it (honestly I though the idea of Shuri being headmistress didn't quite make sense... I'd assume she's a bit to busy running a school while she was running a country). Expand on that with a few more Wakandan metas.

I'd bring back Priests gear as his standard normal day to day toolset, and have the other stuff for specialized suits. Maybe give force push, force fields and giant purple boxing gloves to thrice blessed armor.

And I'd give him his own signature vehicles with actual names. He should have a Panther jet and a Panther car (but with less obvious names). Yeah, it's a bit Batman-ish but I also think it's good marketing for the character.

And I'd like the other Wakandan gods (Lion god, Ape god, Croc god) to show up in the BP mythos, and have their own avatars like Black Panther. M'Baku obviously already works as the Ape Gods guy, but give the Lion God and Croc god their own Black Panther. Easy way to make more potential rogues.

Lastly, I'd bring back Ross as a regular character. Having a regular guy in the supporting cast (who is also a source of comedic) I thought worked well. And his friendship with T'Challa was cool.

Few story ideas I would have liked ot see before Coates F'd it all up:

- T'challa finding out why Bast/Panther God didn't help with the incursions and Wakanda's destruction.

- A short arc, detailing the other gods of Wakanda trying to take control via their champions, due to the incurions weakening Bast's control. You could have champions for Anubis, White Gorilla God, Lion God, River God, ect. It would be a very action oriented, 6-8ish arc. Something like Iron Fists recent arc where he went to that island and fought people mortal combat style.

- More of T'challa in Africa as a whole instead of the US. There are plenty of super villains to fight and their are lots of resources in AFrica super villains would want.

- an "international" Avengers team, with T'challa at the lead, with members from other countries and continents.

- A Shuri mini, detailing her mindset after losing everything in TRO. I'd have her go on a walkabout to find herself again. This would have been her avenue to developing her own role in Wakanda and new powerset.

- A Black Avengers book, just because I want a Black Avengers book. I don't even care if it makes sense lol. Give me T'challa, Miles, Cage, Voodoo, and Blade and I'm good.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Ultimate Member

I'd maybe do a six issue "superhero-y" arc that would reinvent some of his rogues...bring back Klaw, some old McGregor foes, the Supremists, perhaps someone from the MU he doesn't normally fight (AIM, Kraven, whoever). The stories could be read on their own but they'd be loosely connected. Then I'd follow up with a more epic story arc that was full of geo-political intrigue. It would be about T'Challa operating as a head of state as well superhero warrior king and how he can or cannot act in certain situations due to the conflicting nature of the two jobs. Elements from the previous arc would be connected to this one. The big bad would not be Killmonger, it'd be some unexpected.

No more revolutions or Wakanda being destroyed for a while.

I'd pick up directly after the end of Secret Wars #9 and dedicate the first issue to showing T'challa briefing Shuri and Namor to end the war with Atlantis and preparing for Thanos invasion in Infinity.

Then I'd fast forward to the end of Infinity with the combined forces of Atlantis and Wakanda driving off Thanos forces.

This would essentially be a prelude done in one issue.

Then the first arc would follow up on the three adventurers that launched Wakanda's space mission sending an SOS from deep space just before vanishing from reality.

T'challa, Vibraxis, Okoye, and W'Kabi would venture into space to attempt to figure out exactly what happened to them.

Meanwhile back in Wakanda the nations many enemies have been lying low and strike as Wakanda is seemingly rebuilding and underprotected. Shuri, QDJ, Aneka, Ayo, and Agent Kasper Cole must fight off an army of the undead and a gauntlet of Wakandas worst enemies. Basically this would revitalize all the disused foes created over the many BP runs.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

I am out of touch when the only story I have read from Black Panther was Shuri's tenure as the Black Panther but I'm guessing even then the Dora Milaje were no longer a harem.

BANNED

I am out of touch when the only story I have read from Black Panther was Shuri's tenure as the Black Panther but I'm guessing even then the Dora Milaje were no longer a harem.
    Dude, the Dora Milaje where never a harem at any point so I'm really not sure why you're making this wholly inaccurate assertion.

The Dora Milaje tradition of having a single female representative selected from each of Wakanda's tribes to be a personal guard and potential wife to the Wakandans King was one set up to provide unity within Wakanda.

It was merely a symbolic tradition that prevented any one tribe from feeling slighted by the King and not one where the King got to pick and choose which of the Dora Milaje he could have sexual intercourse with on a whim.

For some odd reason, readers unfamiliar with this aspect of the BP mythos, choose to misinterprete the concept and consequently, peddle falsehoods as opposed to established fact as presented as Canon.

It goes without saying that Coates falls into the category of writer who wilfully misrepresented the Dora Milaje tradition so as to serve his own storytelling agenda.
    Last edited by Mr MajestiK; 07-11-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    Dude, the Dora Milaje where never a harem at any point so I'm really not sure why you're making this wholly in a urate assertion.

The Dora Milaje tradition of having a single female representative selected from each of Wakanda's tribes to be a personal guard and potential wife to the Wakandans King was one set up to provide unity within Wakanda.

It was merely a symbolic tradition that prevented any one tribe from feeling slighted by the King and not one where the King got to pick and choose which of the Dora Milaje he could have sexual intercourse with on a whim.

For some odd reason, readers unfamiliar with this aspect of the BP mythos, choose to misinterprete the concept and consequently, peddle falsehoods as opposed to established fact as presented as Canon.

It goes without saying that Coates falls into the category of writer who wilfully misrepresented the Dora Milaje tradition so as to serve his own storytelling agenda.
    I honestly didn't know that.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 07-11-2018 at 09:59 AM.

BANNED

It just boils down to me being ignorant to the majority of Black Panther's lore and I was just explaining that. All the more reason why Coates should not be writing Black Panther.
    My apologies for being overly blunt on the subject as that was definitely not my intention. I agree with the premise and general thrust of your thread but started seeing some of the usual distortions about the Dora Milaje traditions cropping up again in a few posts and responded accordingly.

Peace.

Harem is probably not the right word.

But they were teenage girls who were taken to be trained as potential wives for political reasons. There's a lot of stuff Priest did there which maybe wasn't a good idea in hindsight. But like I said, Coates ended the whole practice, so it's all moot now.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Harem is probably not the right word.

But they were teenage girls who were taken to be trained as potential wives for political reasons. There's a lot of stuff Priest did there which maybe wasn't a good idea in hindsight. But like I said, Coates ended the whole practice, so it's all moot now.
    What did Priest do with the whole potential wives thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr MajestiK View Post
    My apologies for being overly blunt on the subject as that was definitely not my intention. I agree with the premise and general thrust of your thread but started seeing some of the usual distortions about the Dora Milaje traditions cropping up again in a few posts and responded accordingly.

Peace.
    Thank you for understanding and it's alright we all have moments when our love for something gets the better of us.

BANNED

What did Priest do with the whole potential wives thing?
    I'll refer you to post #4.