BANNED

Default Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows#21

Another sound issue...art's a bit dodgy, but they can draw quite a decent MJ.

Every one of the family got something to do in the issue, Peter forced to ask Normie for info, Annie talked to Normie over the phone about her troubles, MJ opened up to Annie about losing her baby during the clone saga. Ben Reilly was confirmed to be dead too. And it looks like another Sinister Spider-Clone has joined the fray.

Thoughts?

Astonishing Member

Good issue. Prefer Scott Kobish on art to the other artists since Jody Houser took the book over.

When she was telling the story of Ben Reilly to Annie, that was so heartbreaking. I am a fan of Scott Kobish's art from Deadpool, and I think his style with these characters works really well. The colours feel a bit muted, but I don't think it's too bad.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    When she was telling the story of Ben Reilly to Annie, that was so heartbreaking. I am a fan of Scott Kobish's art from Deadpool, and I think his style with these characters works really well. The colours feel a bit muted, but I don't think it's too bad.
    I am as well from Kobish on Deadpool.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Pretty good stuff. I hate to say it, but I really wish this title were selling better, so we could get an artist the quality of Stegman on it. Cause man. I love the writing of this issue - everyone got good stuff to do - but the art is really holding it back. And I know it's because the book isn't selling well enough to justify putting someone good on it.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

I would agree with you there, millernumber1. Koblish isn't bad, but I do still wish Stegman was onboard with this series. That said, I greatly appreciated the scene between Mary Jane and Annie, not only for the mother-daughter bond, but also for confirming that the 90s Clone Saga was more-or-less canon to the world of RYV. Good on Peter to check out Normie and Oscorp as well, given Normie's grandfather's role in masterminding the situation to begin with, though with Mister Sinister pulling the strings behind this Clone Saga . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

BANNED

So this issue fully confirmed that the Clone Saga did happened and this is slightly different than the MC-2 Universe too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    So this issue fully confirmed that the Clone Saga did happened and this is slightly different than the MC-2 Universe too.
    Because Peter and MJ's first child is still dead, so I'd have to guess that Annie was born during or after what would have been the superhero Civil War (if not for Charles Xavier and the Avengers cutting a deal with the government to police their own, as explained in RYV #6-7).

I liked how the issue turned out. Seemed well paced and a good balance of character work and story progression. This's becoming my favorite of the RYV story arcs so far.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Holy s#$* i didn't read the whole issue but the scene when MJ talks about the Clone Saga and misscarriage surprised me, i never thougth that Marvel would ever bring that up again, even in an alternate universe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Holy s#$* i didn't read the whole issue but the scene when MJ talks about the Clone Saga and misscarriage surprised me, i never thougth that Marvel would ever bring that up again, even in an alternate universe.
    Yeah, that was surprising to me, too, to be honest, but I liked how it gave us a chance to see how Mary Jane herself felt and thought about the whole thing. I also liked how she expressed sympathy, if not empathy, for Peter's "evil clones," citing that their evil came from being unstable and/or manipulated, and spoke fondly of Ben Reilly as a genuine hero. The part where she confessed the miscarriage to Annie, where Annie realized that she could've had a big sister if not for the hateful machinations of Norman Osborn, even if Norman wasn't necessarily mentioned by name, was the most poignant moment of that scene to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Because Peter and MJ's first child is still dead, so I'd have to guess that Annie was born during or after what would have been the superhero Civil War (if not for Charles Xavier and the Avengers cutting a deal with the government to police their own, as explained in RYV #6-7).
    Yeah, MJ would've had Annie soon after OMD had OMD not happened. Mayday is Annie's older sister, miscarried in the RYV universe and 616, but born in MC2, where presumably later events happened differently (real world reason, it was published before those events in 616) and MJ didn't get pregnant again for much longer, resulting in Benji instead of Annie.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, MJ would've had Annie soon after OMD had OMD not happened. Mayday is Annie's older sister, miscarried in the RYV universe and 616, but born in MC2, where presumably later events happened differently (real world reason, it was published before those events in 616).
    I recall Secret Invasion was referenced in MC2, but only in a joking fashion that threw shade at the possibility of the event ever working.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, MJ would've had Annie soon after OMD had OMD not happened.
    Maybe. On the other hand, in the first X-Men crossover, Cyclops described the first Civil War event (albeit averted in this world) as happening "a few years" ago, in a timeframe when Annie is eight. As far as I can tell, RYV diverged from 616 after the '90s Clone Saga (unless one assumes that Kraven appearing in the RYV mini pushes it back to before "Kraven's Last Hunt"). How much of a time gap was there between '90s Clone Saga and Civil War? Unless Cyclops's (admittedly vague) placement of Civil War has been since retconned, the possibility that Annie was born before Civil War, not after at, remains.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)