Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 37
  1. #16
    Chosen One Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    18,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
    This one has always puzzled me. If she can punch someone like Superman really hard, her skin should be able to withstand a bullet or a blade.
    It's the power of nostalgia. She needed to do the bullets & bracelets thing in the 40's so by golly, she will do it forever, even if it doesn't make sense anymore.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

  2. #17
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    32,963

    Default

    Considering Superheroes in armor tend to get torn apart as quickly as those without armor, I'm for whichever looks the best visually.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's the power of nostalgia. She needed to do the bullets & bracelets thing in the 40's so by golly, she will do it forever, even if it doesn't make sense anymore.
    It still looks really cool though .

  3. #18
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    Wonder Woman is like a tennis pro--bullets & bracelets is her sport. Sure tennis players could just grab that ball and throw it over the net, but what would be the fun in that?

    Even if there's some in-story reason for armour, I think it undermines the point about invulnerability in such a visual medium. If it wasn't for community standards that frown on this sort of thing, I would like to see all the invulnerable super-heros naked. They wouldn't wear anything more than body-paint. That would get the point across in a visual way that they can withstand anything and don't need any protection.

    As for Batman, the armour might make sense (even if you can explain why it doesn't weigh him down), but it decreases the sense of danger. The idea that Batman isn't proteced against attacks increases the risk, which makes it more exciting and gives him a greater challenge. He's a daredevil and would rather depend on his own skills to avoid harm, rather than hamper himself with armour.

    Comic book stories don't exist to make crime-fighting look like a walk in the park. Otherwise, Batman could just drive a tank and never have to worry.
    sorry🍁

  4. #19
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    15,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    Wonder Woman is the one that mystifies me. She can withstand blows that level buildings but can be wounded by conventional weapons?
    I think it all depends on who's writing Diana and how said writer fits her overall powers into a particular storyline.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  5. #20
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,062

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's the power of nostalgia. She needed to do the bullets & bracelets thing in the 40's so by golly, she will do it forever, even if it doesn't make sense anymore.
    It's also a distinctive brand image. Ugly as it is to say, that generally has a more durable value than most individual stories.

    I've always written Wonder Woman handling pummeling, but needing bracelets for bullets off as crush proof and puncture proof being two different things. Admittedly, I formulated that notion as a child, but it still works for me.

  6. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Wonder Woman is like a tennis pro--bullets & bracelets is her sport. Sure tennis players could just grab that ball and throw it over the net, but what would be the fun in that?

    Even if there's some in-story reason for armour, I think it undermines the point about invulnerability in such a visual medium. If it wasn't for community standards that frown on this sort of thing, I would like to see all the invulnerable super-heros naked. They wouldn't wear anything more than body-paint. That would get the point across in a visual way that they can withstand anything and don't need any protection.

    As for Batman, the armour might make sense (even if you can explain why it doesn't weigh him down), but it decreases the sense of danger. The idea that Batman isn't proteced against attacks increases the risk, which makes it more exciting and gives him a greater challenge. He's a daredevil and would rather depend on his own skills to avoid harm, rather than hamper himself with armour.

    Comic book stories don't exist to make crime-fighting look like a walk in the park. Otherwise, Batman could just drive a tank and never have to worry.
    So Batman wearing armour (that isn't indestructible) destroys tension but superheroes who are so invulnerable they can walk around naked don't?

  7. #22
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,560

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Even if there's some in-story reason for armour, I think it undermines the point about invulnerability in such a visual medium. If it wasn't for community standards that frown on this sort of thing, I would like to see all the invulnerable super-heros naked. They wouldn't wear anything more than body-paint. That would get the point across in a visual way that they can withstand anything and don't need any protection.
    Well, that'd make the books more interesting, but I don't see too many xxx theaters left for the next live action superhero blockbuster.

  8. #23
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    The thing is a lot of the actors who appear in the super-hero movies really are doing the work to get their bodies fit and muscular--but you can't see that through clothes. So they still have to wear padded suits and get digital augmentation, for audiences to see the muscle. Whereas, I'd maintain that if they were allowed to walk around in their birthday suits, that would be an impressive display.

    We could see very well that Henry Cavill was muscular in his shirtless scenes. Just paint an S on his chest.

    Of course, when Mamoa stars in AQUAMAN, he'll get a chance to flex his muscles. And I'm sure if and when the Rock appears as Black Adam, it will be all natural.
    sorry🍁

  9. #24
    Chosen One Carabas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    18,815

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    The thing is a lot of the actors who appear in the super-hero movies really are doing the work to get their bodies fit and muscular--but you can't see that through clothes. So they still have to wear padded suits and get digital augmentation, for audiences to see the muscle. Whereas, I'd maintain that if they were allowed to walk around in their birthday suits, that would be an impressive display.

    We could see very well that Henry Cavill was muscular in his shirtless scenes. Just paint an S on his chest.

    Of course, when Mamoa stars in AQUAMAN, he'll get a chance to flex his muscles. And I'm sure if and when the Rock appears as Black Adam, it will be all natural.
    I somehow suspect that the mainstream isn't quite ready for superhero movies where everybody is almost entirely naked with a bodypainted costume, even though it would be comics accurate.
    "One may be intelligent, and a Nazi. Then one is not decent. One may be decent and a Nazi. Then one is not intelligent. And one may be intelligent and decent. Then one is not a Nazi"
    - Gerhard Bronner

  10. #25
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    It's the power of nostalgia. She needed to do the bullets & bracelets thing in the 40's so by golly, she will do it forever, even if it doesn't make sense anymore.
    You know, i always used to think that maybe bullets caused her a bit of discomfort, which is why she blocked them with her braces. I mean Luke Cage and Wolverine have been shown to tank almost anything while still expressing some level of pain. Different physiologies, i guess.
    DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Michael Cray, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, The Unexpected, Damage

    Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

    Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

  11. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    16,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    You know, i always used to think that maybe bullets caused her a bit of discomfort, which is why she blocked them with her braces. I mean Luke Cage and Wolverine have been shown to tank almost anything while still expressing some level of pain. Different physiologies, i guess.
    In the Smallville comic she's bullet proof but she says she doesn't like getting shot nonetheless.

  12. #27
    Astonishing Member Dr. Poison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    4,885

    Default

    But the thing is, no character in the DCU has proved to really be invulnerable. Not even heavy weight such as the Specter or the Anti-Monitor. All of them have been beaten at least once so having armor as an extra layer of defense isn't a bad idea.
    Currently Reading: Aquaman, Doomsday Clock, Hawkman, Justice League, Justice League Dark, Mera, The Terrifics, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

  13. #28
    Mighty Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    WGBS
    Posts
    1,611

    Default

    Superman sure does run into kryptonite quite a bit. Kryptonite, other Kryptonians and red sun radiation weaponized in some way. He's not safe at a JLA meeting if Batman gets a little twitchy, so I would make armor at this point. I thought the New 52 suit would protect from some of that as well. I was betting the armor would be his ship from krypton with an a.i. but I guess that was too Iron Man. Maybe Superman already has enough tools to handle red sun radiation, magic, and kryptonite? Near everything else is a nice compensation. Still with all the evil Kryptonians he meets, you think he would also have also weaponized kryptonite and red sun radiation while also "armoring" himself. At least carry a phantom zone projector!

    Wonder Woman was recently shot during the Priest run in JLA. It was jarring for me because I figured she was just like Captain Marvel, Superman, and whoever. I don't see bullets hurting J'onn or Arthur (though they use to)! In the end I guess I just say she is magic and she has magic rules. I like the idea that she is not invulnerable but her lasso, bracelets, tiara, and other metal are invulnerable. When she moves with the speed of Mercury and her bracelets, she is effectively invulnerable because she moves so fast she creates a virtual force field of "everywhere at once bracelets." That's why she can give the Flash a run for his money to my mind. Gods of speed should mean something and if she has the speed of Mercury? Anyways, she can take a uppercut from Doomsday because that works by her magic rules, but if she gets hit with a ricochet her magic invulnerability doesn't work? It's got a mythic quality. I need to think of these characters less as video games in someways.
    Last edited by Johnny Thunders!; 07-13-2018 at 08:15 AM.

  14. #29
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    9,270

    Default

    What kind of armour stops Kryptonite? Unless Superman put himself inside a can of lead and closed the lid, the lethal radiation would get to him no matter what. And in Weisinger times, if something was made on Krypton it had the same properties as Superman--so any Kryptonian armour would fold like a cheap suit when green K came near.
    sorry🍁

  15. #30
    Mighty Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    WGBS
    Posts
    1,611

    Default

    I would have Doc Magnus cook me something up with a just one or two New Genesis squiggles thrown in for good measure. The thing could walk itself over!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •