Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
Results 421 to 435 of 444
  1. #421
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    Strictly adhering to myth gets WW fans in trouble, it's often used as a justification for why we can't have nice things. That's how we got Warrior Woman with a sword and shield constantly stuck to her hands, Azzarello's Bedrock Amazons and offhand bits like Ares being Hippolyta's father Pre-Crisis.

  2. #422
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Strictly adhering to myth gets WW fans in trouble, it's often used as a justification for why we can't have nice things. That's how we got Warrior Woman with a sword and shield constantly stuck to her hands, Azzarello's Bedrock Amazons and offhand bits like Ares being Hippolyta's father Pre-Crisis.
    Yeah, since right from the beginning the entire franchise revolves around subverting the original Amazon myth and making Aphrodite something other than a lustful brainless beauty, I feel WW is not obligated to be 100% accurate with anything in Greek myth.

    The Greek myths weren't even always consistent with themselves to begin with.

  3. #423
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    42,505

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They will likely try to push WW once the WW1984 movie comes out. But yes if itís not a Batman, Superman, Flash, or JL title, DC doesnít really care. But right now I just want some WW stories with her non-god Rogues. Tynion is treating Circe right over in JLD, Cheetah has a big arc coming up, but I want to know what happened to Dr. Cyber? Colonel Poison? Where the heck is Psycho and what is he up to? Orlando is a continuity nut, heíd probably love to tackle those villains. And really who else is an option? Didio and Lee canít even get Hickman, a guy who talks about how he was a DC kid at his freaking X-Men panel, to join up. No way can those two get any outside talent to join, and no one else who is decent at DC can do it. So Orlando right now has done a good job on his fill in issues, Iím willing to give him a chance. I donít expect him to be any worse than mediocre which is really no different than what weíve had under Wilson.
    I'm kind of surprised Pscyho hasn't been in the books in so long. I think Simone's the only one to do something with him in that Plastic Man mini.

  4. #424
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    541

    Default G Willow Wilson is leaving WW...

    ...and Orlando is taking over, at least temporarily. The story is here. Honestly, I would have liked to have her on the title a little longer, but I've enjoyed Orlando's fill-ins and look forward to his uninterrupted time on the title! Also, I hope Xermanico stays around!!
    Last edited by Frank; 08-23-2019 at 09:48 AM.

  5. #425
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    SouthEast Tennessee
    Posts
    2,227

    Default

    Dc has a hideous track record of not giving the title to writers who actually WANT to be on the series and would do a great job...instead it seems they go after who would get the most clicks on a news article. I will be extremely but pleasantly surprised if they leave Orlando on it. I would love it, but I will be very surprised.

  6. #426
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Ares being Hippolyta's father Pre-Crisis.
    But that is true in the mythology, and the Amazons worship Ares.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yeah, since right from the beginning the entire franchise revolves around subverting the original Amazon myth and making Aphrodite something other than a lustful brainless beauty, I feel WW is not obligated to be 100% accurate with anything in Greek myth.

    The Greek myths weren't even always consistent with themselves to begin with.

    Aphrodite might not be so powerful, but she is nowhere close to brainless. Actually she is very smart in the mythology.
    Last edited by Slowpokeking; 08-23-2019 at 10:33 AM.

  7. #427
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    But that is true in the mythology, and the Amazons worship Ares.
    I know but these aren't the Amazons of myth, they're the Amazons of DC. Mythology says nothing about the lasso of truth, indestructible bracelets, invisible jets, purple healing rays or kangas. DC isn't beholden to following mythology and that's how I like it. These are super hero comics not a mythology course.

  8. #428
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I know but these aren't the Amazons of myth, they're the Amazons of DC. Mythology says nothing about the lasso of truth, indestructible bracelets, invisible jets, purple healing rays or kangas. DC isn't beholden to following mythology and that's how I like it. These are super hero comics not a mythology course.
    Yeah but I do think such a relationship makes Ares and the plot more interesting.

    He wasn't portrayed nicely in the mythology but showed his soft side when Penthesilea was killed by Achilles. I don't agree to make him mostly a villain in the comics when he could have been more.

  9. #429
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,981

    Default

    I actually like the idea of Ares being the father of Hippolyta and her sisters. At the very least, it's a more interesting way to make Diana and her family related to the Olympians than having Zeus be her father.

    Adds an interesting wrinkle to the Amazons taking his ex-lover and his sister as their patrons over him.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    Aphrodite might not be so powerful, but she is nowhere close to brainless. Actually she is very smart in the mythology.
    That might be true, and I shouldn't have used hyperbole, but the general perception of Aphrodite is being the ultra feminine one, sometimes the "Olympus village bicycle", eye candy or trophy wife. And while she is vain and petty, I like the basic idea of making the ultra feminine Olympian one of the most powerful and influential in WW.

  10. #430
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    603

    Default

    I always think a love-hate relationship between a powerful but charming "noble demon" villain would make Wonder Woman and her story much more interesting, as well as creating a top villain in her villain gallery.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I actually like the idea of Ares being the father of Hippolyta and her sisters. At the very least, it's a more interesting way to make Diana and her family related to the Olympians than having Zeus be her father.

    Adds an interesting wrinkle to the Amazons taking his ex-lover and his sister as their patrons over him.



    That might be true, and I shouldn't have used hyperbole, but the general perception of Aphrodite is being the ultra feminine one, sometimes the "Olympus village bicycle", eye candy or trophy wife. And while she is vain and petty, I like the basic idea of making the ultra feminine Olympian one of the most powerful and influential in WW.
    To me I never thought her that way. She always give me the impression of being a very smart but mostly harmless figure. If you say Helen of Troy I would agree.

  11. #431
    Incredible Member Tzigone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    927

    Default

    I always think a love-hate relationship between a powerful but charming "noble demon" villain would make Wonder Woman and her story much more interesting, as well as creating a top villain in her villain gallery.
    Not a villain archetype I like. I just don't think "noble" and "villain" go together. And I hate any sort of "love" or attraction with any villains. So way past tired of that. A very few are grandfathered in from when I was a kid, but I just got tired of that sort of thing when I was college-age or maybe high school. Kinda like the get-together-break-up-get-back-together schtick with characters who have all these "obstacles" they have to overcome (usually dumb ones) to be together. I liked it up until sometime in my 20s. There are some "grandfathered in" couples I still ship with the dynamics, but I don't watch any new shows that hook on "will/won't they" or hinge on "finally" getting characters together anymore. It typically lasts two episodes during sweeps and then falls apart again. But I guess if DC wants a younger audience than myself, either of the archetypes might be a good choice.

  12. #432
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Maybe Diana could lose her powers. Start wearing white clothing. Have adventures with a blind Asian old man. Meet up with Catwoman.

    Oh wait. That already happened. ��

  13. #433
    Incredible Member Slowpokeking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Not a villain archetype I like. I just don't think "noble" and "villain" go together. And I hate any sort of "love" or attraction with any villains. So way past tired of that. A very few are grandfathered in from when I was a kid, but I just got tired of that sort of thing when I was college-age or maybe high school. Kinda like the get-together-break-up-get-back-together schtick with characters who have all these "obstacles" they have to overcome (usually dumb ones) to be together. I liked it up until sometime in my 20s. There are some "grandfathered in" couples I still ship with the dynamics, but I don't watch any new shows that hook on "will/won't they" or hinge on "finally" getting characters together anymore. It typically lasts two episodes during sweeps and then falls apart again. But I guess if DC wants a younger audience than myself, either of the archetypes might be a good choice.
    There are a lot of villains in both real life and fictional work with a evil goal but ok standards and would not try to cause unnecessary damage. Or even their goal has a reason just using the extreme way.

    It depends on how you execute it really, of course the long going comic might have trouble doing it right.

  14. #434
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,016

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That might be true, and I shouldn't have used hyperbole, but the general perception of Aphrodite is being the ultra feminine one, sometimes the "Olympus village bicycle", eye candy or trophy wife. And while she is vain and petty, I like the basic idea of making the ultra feminine Olympian one of the most powerful and influential in WW.
    I wouldn't say trophy wife. I mean Aphrodite cheats her husband in the myth.

    Aphrodite is pretty promiscuous, especially with mortals. Curiously, regarding other gods, I just read about her relationships with Ares, Hermes and Hephestos (although this last was imposed or forced on her).

  15. #435
    The Comixeur Mel Dyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,013

    Default

    Hopefully, GWW set a standard, with giving WW a supporting cast - Maggie, Aphrodite, Steve, Atlantiades and the talking beasties. I wonder, if she's already been told that her successor will not be permitted to use it ..and that Maggie will not go any further. Is that why she's leaving Maggie on the Island? Hopefully, her use of these characters will persuade the 'editors' that the WW comic needs a permanent core of supporting regulars - Maggie, Steve, Aphrodite and Ferdinand?

    G. Willow proved WW is best, when Diana has a functional cast.
    Look alive, Kangaliers!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •