Page 12 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m of the belief that part of the reason Batman has done so well is he has basically an unbroken line of writers from O’Neil to now building on each other. Heck more recently you’ve got Morrison drawing from everyone, Snyder building on Morrison, and King building on both of them. You might not personally enjoy what each writer is or has done but they’ve have all enjoyed various degrees of success. How can anyone ever build up Diana and her cast, and her rogues if each writer trashes everything that came before? The answer is you can’t.
    It's not always the writers fault. I remember several writers stating in interviews that they were specifically told to ignore what came before. (I seem to recall Gail Simone talking a good bit about this during her tenure.)
    So it as much is up to the editors to let the writers build on what came before and not burn the house down each time.

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Untrue. Jimenez, Rucka, and Simone all paid a great deal of homage to each other and to Perez. Rucka also paid a lot of attention to Azz - he just did his best to make it possible to ignore Azz's screwing with Diana's core concept. For those who love Azz's Diana, that's probably not great, but as someone who hated Azz's "contributions," I am 100% for it.
    Again, I hope G Willow Wilson ignores everything they did............ unless.
    Unless it suites the story she wants to tell.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m of the belief that part of the reason Batman has done so well is he has basically an unbroken line of writers from O’Neil to now building on each other. Heck more recently you’ve got Morrison drawing from everyone, Snyder building on Morrison, and King building on both of them. You might not personally enjoy what each writer is or has done but they’ve have all enjoyed various degrees of success. How can anyone ever build up Diana and her cast, and her rogues if each writer trashes everything that came before? The answer is you can’t.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Again, I hope G Willow Wilson ignores everything they did............ unless.
    Unless it suites the story she wants to tell.
    I obviously agree with Vordan. Because what they say is true - fans feel like their love of a certain story matters, and isn't discarded. With Diana, everything I loved about her in the 2000s was literally thrown in the toilet in the 2010s, and even getting Rucka back on her title wasn't enough to bring it back.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    Agreed. And I'm hoping she also means Rucka's first run. The way she talked about Robinson was very vague and puff-piece, whereas she talked about more meat from Rucka and Simone, which is all of the good.
    I'd say she did the exact opposite: she said exactly what she appreciated about Robinson's run, with the words "that high-fantasy soft spot" and "on a purely genre level". That right there hints to me that she's a very advanced reader and critic.

I was looking forward to Wilson in any case, but looking at how she handled these questions and her approach on how Wonder Woman would approach our society, I think we might be in for a hell of a run.

WONDER WOMAN #60

written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    art by CARY NORD and MICK GRAY
    cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    It’s a standoff of mythological proportions when Wonder Woman combats the resurrected God of War, Ares! While trying to stop a war, Wonder Woman appeals to Ares to intervene with her, but he thinks the two parties should fight it out and resolve it themselves. Guess dying and coming back didn’t do much to soften Ares’ M.O. Meanwhile, Steve Trevor’s been kidnapped and confronts his captor: the Goddess of Love, Aphrodite, who’s extremely pissed. Let’s see Steve schmooze his way out of this one!
    ON SALE 12.12.18
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

I don't know how I feel about this...I have been extremely unimpressed with everyone but Rucka's use of the gods so far. And Aphrodite is such a fine line to walk. But I will continue to hope.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

It is starting to look less like leading into a plot development for the Amazons returning and more that its simply a focus on the gods. Heres hoping its good

Heh. The Greek gods makes every lots of writers who come to Wonder Woman go "Shiny!" and wanting to play with them. We'll have to see (a) how this first arc shapes up, (b) what she does afterwards. And having an angry Aphrodite as an antagonist is going outside the beaten path.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Heh. The Greek gods makes every lots of writers who come to Wonder Woman go "Shiny!" and wanting to play with them. We'll have to see (a) how this first arc shapes up, (b) what she does afterwards. And having an angry Aphrodite as an antagonist is going outside the beaten path.
    One of these days were going to get a writer who will play with the original ones like the Duke of Deception and the Earl of Greed.
    One of these days.....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    One of these days were going to get a writer who will play with the original ones like the Duke of Deception and the Earl of Greed.
    One of these days.....
    Only if they get Grant Morrison to do the Wonder Woman ongoing.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post

Using the public domain Greek gods is beyond redundant at this point. I think after reading this book since issue# 1, I'm finally going to drop it unless Wilson uses Wonder Woman's actual unique rogues gallery.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Only if they get Grant Morrison to do the Wonder Woman ongoing.
    Please thank you no, not after the Bizarro Wonder Woman and Amazons he crafted in Earth One.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Using the public domain Greek gods is beyond redundant at this point. I think after reading this book since issue# 1, I'm finally going to drop it unless Wilson uses Wonder Woman's actual unique rogues gallery.
    On the other hand, we know Wilson likes to fangirl around in backgrounds and universes, and looking at the solicitations, it seems more like her take here is gods meddling with the world rather than Diana getting involved in huge mythological adventures (as both Robinson, Rucka's both runs, and Azzarello did).

Thinking on it from that direction, having the gods involved seems not so much a step back. But we'll have to see which direction she takes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post

WONDER WOMAN #60

written by G. WILLOW WILSON
    art by CARY NORD and MICK GRAY
    cover by TERRY DODSON and RACHEL DODSON
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    It’s a standoff of mythological proportions when Wonder Woman combats the resurrected God of War, Ares! While trying to stop a war, Wonder Woman appeals to Ares to intervene with her, but he thinks the two parties should fight it out and resolve it themselves. Guess dying and coming back didn’t do much to soften Ares’ M.O. Meanwhile, Steve Trevor’s been kidnapped and confronts his captor: the Goddess of Love, Aphrodite, who’s extremely pissed. Let’s see Steve schmooze his way out of this one!
    ON SALE 12.12.18
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+
    This issue will ship with two covers.
    Please see the order form for details.
    Damn, I've missed the Dodsons!
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    Damn, I've missed the Dodsons!

Me too! That is a breath-taking cover!
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Incredible Member

With only one solicitation, do we know for sure that the title will revert to monthly status instead of bi-monthly?