Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Some of them I agree will never be more than joke characters like Prankster for Supes or Condiment King for Bats. But that doesn't mean you can't tell a compelling story with them like King's Kite Man. Frankly new rogues that aren't gods or mythological monsters would also be fine.
    He fit into the story King was telling. I feel like that is probably ninety-nine percent of why it worked.

Mighty Member

I loved Wilson's Vixen miniseries, so I'm very excited she's taking on Wonder Woman. I'm even more excited to hear she's going to be following up on elements of Rucka's run, which I also loved.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Very happy for Wilson. I'm an avid Ms. Marvel reader and she plays a role in her success. If she'll bring that same kind of level of talent to WW, then it'll be interesting where the book and character will go.
    I hope that is also a gateway for more Ms. Marvel fans to come and join the Wonder Woman forums! A lot of people is concerned about it, but everyone is going to win having such a great writer taking care of two great superheroes.

This is the GREATEST NEWS EVA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please don't be a lie.

Maybe, the WW comic will finally get a regular supporting cast built around the friendship between two or three women. Boys on the side...
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

I love that DC is putting some of the biggest names in comics on the Trinity books. For a long time it’s just been Batman that gets the superstar creative teams.

I hope she has some ideas for Diana’s rogues gallery and even creates some new supporting cast members.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Sure "Sumo the Samurai" isn't the best name but it's no worse than "First Born", "Moon", or "King Best".
    "First Born" and "Moon" weren't names.

I don't have the faintest notion who or what King Best is, but what is wrong with it as a name?

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

I don't have the faintest notion who or what King Best is, but what is wrong with it as a name?
    King Best was the head of the dark gods. Extremely terrible name to me but not on the same level as Sumo the Samurai. I don't even want to know the story on that one.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Those names don't invoke racial stereotypes.

True but they're equally as ridiculous.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Unless those characters fit into the story a writer wants to tell, I don't see any reason a writer should have to use them. Let alone put the work into modernizing or developing them just for the sake of doing so.

Never mind that Baron Blitzkrieg/Red Panzer could probably stay in the "Discard" pile, and the world wouldn't be much worse off for it.

A writer is certainly free to writer whatever/whoever they think best fits their stories but if they come to Wonder Woman and don't have any love for her rogues gallery, they should probably write a different character. Take it all or leave it on the table.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post

Yet most of the characters in Azzarello's run referred to Artemis and Burnt Bacon Man as "Moon" and "The First Born".

Then name "King Best" just sounds overconfident and toxic masculinity-laced.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    King Best was the head of the dark gods. Extremely terrible name to me but not on the same level as Sumo the Samurai. I don't even want to know the story on that one.

Sumo the Samurai(while he could use a better name) was quite an interesting character who fought both Wonder Woman and the All-Star Squadron back in World War II. He had super-strength, invisibility, and ninja skills. While he was clearly a villain, he also had a deep code of honor that he would not violate just to win a battle as evidenced when he defied his leader's order to kill an unconscious All-Star Squadron member.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    He fit into the story King was telling. I feel like that is probably ninety-nine percent of why it worked.
    But, I think that's the very point of Doctor Poison. New takes on some of these costumed villains could very well fit into the stories GWW will be writing and it's not introducing them for their own sake.

To a degree, I'd make the same case with Superman as Wonder Woman, it's in DC's best interests to dig into the bench of characters and villains these character's have over their long histories and rebirth/revamp them into a contemporary version.

I mean, Wonder fans can't live on Ares and Cheetah and Circe and Darkseid and Veronica Cale alone.

Diana's foes, in particular, haven't been mined or invested in nearly enough despite some interesting concepts (even those only on a surface level) that can play out thematically or fit the stories writers want to tell.

I'm ready to see more than brief, supporting moments of Silver Swan, Doctor Psycho, Doctor Cyber, Giganta, Doctor Poison, and Angle Man. I'm ready to broaden the her rogues gallery with substantial interpretations and appearances of Queen Clea, Zara, Eviless, Duke Dazam, Anton Unreal, Heracles, Hypnota, Inversion, the Mask, Osira, Astarte, Dark Angel, Queen of Fables, Villainy Inc., Skrill, Zardor, Adjudicator, etc.

She has interesting villains that never get used to use a springboard to tell a lot a of stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Maybe, the WW comic will finally get a regular supporting cast built around the friendship between two or three women. Boys on the side...
    From your mouth to Hera's ears.

(I'm assuming she's ruling Olympus now that her husband became divine Gatorade for Darkseid. Can she start dating Highfather now?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    A writer is certainly free to writer whatever/whoever they think best fits their stories but if they come to Wonder Woman and don't have any love for her rogues gallery, they should probably write a different character. Take it all or leave it on the table.
    This, PLEASE.

Perhaps I'm strange, but I don't know how you look at Diana's history of rogues and not want to take those concepts and revamp them into a contemporary story - especially given all that Diana and Wonder Woman stands for. So many aspects of her to develop and play off of a villain, that's not Ares, Cheetah, or Circe. Maybe I'm too much of a Wonder fanatic, but I just don't get how you see some of the raw materials in those characters and, sometimes, wild and bizarre ideas and see that treasure trove for what it is...and could be.