View Poll Results: Do Luthor and the Joker help sell comics to you?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 26.67%
  • No

48 64.00%
  • Unsure

5 6.67%
  • No opinion

2 2.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The Joker and Lex are my favorite villains, so the answer is a definite yes.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    Nope.

Only time I bought a comic because of either of them is when The Joker had his own series in the 70's.

I was young. I read every comic I could.
    The first Bat-related book I ever owned was an issue of The Joker, not of Batman.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Joker? Eh not really. I haven't been too impressed with his recent showings in Snyder or King's runs. Also I'm utterly fed up with that character showing up everywhere in DC Media outside of comics. I could barely get through Arkham Knight I was so sick of him.

Luthor? I love the guy, Azz's Luthor, Superman: The Black Ring, and 52 solidified him as my favorite villain. But he's practically been the co-star of the Superman books since Rebirth started. I'm tired of him and want to see the other villains get some love.

So I'd say no neither one really makes me pick up a book I wasn't already planning on getting.

There are so many Joker stories that I am less likely to buy a book he is in.

I prefer Luthor over Zod though.

The guy that sells me my comics is named Mike. Joker and Lex Luthor unfortunately have never sold me comics.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No.

They're two of my favorite characters, but no. Not really any character gets me to buy something on their own. The Joker especially, he may be one of my favorite villains ever, but that doesn't mean I like what's done with him 90% of the time.

No they don't. I don't care that much for their branches of DC comics.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Not a Joker fan. So...no.

With the right writer(s) and the right story/stories, they might.

But these days? I'm not even buying anything with Superman or Batman at the moment (though I'm still buying Batgirl at present).

To a certain extent yeah, love both the characters. Not saying they're automatic buys just because they're in the story, but I'm gonna at least take a look and see if I'm interested. Mostly depends on the story and writer though.

No. Over used, over hyped let downs is usually how those stories go. I liked Luthor as a good guy better.

I do like Luthor enough to buy a book just because he's in.

Depend of the author of course and of if the overall plot intrigue me enough but yeah, it can be a selling point for me.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I really liked how during the new 52 when Joker was ever used, it was a big event. Seems like that started slowing down with rebirth, but it still is big enough that it ends up being a big deal.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Gosh no. Joker actually makes me not want to buy the book now with how often he's featured. I only buy stuff with him if the premise is good, and Joker partnering with Batman will only work once for me.

I don't hate them, but need them to branch out into other types of stories and machinations by them to get excited by them again.

For instance, Luthor leading the Legion of Doom in Justice League is interesting, but he's a human amongst a bunch of very different types of supervillains. I wish there was a little more acknowledgement of that and weirdness between them, besides everyone getting together and getting along all hunky dory. When he's made too infallible he gets boring - similar to Batman. Yeah, I know he's fought Kryptonians time and time again, but if he was little more afraid or intrepid around characters like Cheetah, Sinestro, and Gorilla Grodd, because of what they might do, I might be more engaged with him.

Oddly, I've liked Joker and Luthor best in their animated appearances in BTAS and JLU. The had interesting story arcs and change/growth equally due to the heroes actions as well as other villains actions.