View Poll Results: Do Luthor and the Joker help sell comics to you?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 26.67%
  • No

48 64.00%
  • Unsure

5 6.67%
  • No opinion

2 2.67%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    BANNED

Default Do Luthor and the Joker help sell comics to you?

When Luthor or the Joker are in a story, are you more likely to buy the comic they're in?

Nope.

Only time I bought a comic because of either of them is when The Joker had his own series in the 70's.

I was young. I read every comic I could.
    Batman - Daredevil

Incredible Member

No. It's well expected at the end of every arc they'll get away with the crime.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I love a well written Lex Luthor and he always elevates a story when he is written well. The Joker on the other hand no. The Joker is like any other big villain in that he has been so over used the last 20 years he has lost what made him special. Lex is different because he actually has a job and a public face so seeing him around a lot makes sense. The Joker only shows up to cause chaos, and when that happens all the time it gets boring. The Joker needs a few years rest to be honest. Set him on the shelf and build up the excitement for his eventual return instead of "oh look its the Joker ...... again".

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

I was going to say no but, actually, while Joker isn't really a draw for me as he really only works as an agent of chaos, Lex Luthor is a fantastic character in his own right and though he does work best against Superman, he always feels like a fully drawn character himself - at least since the 1980s and Wolfman/ Byrne reimagined him.

So... yes and no?
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

A story with Lex Luther does attract my attention because I like the character a lot. I find him interesting and he's also a very strong character in his own right. Currently a story with Joker just makes me roll my eyes and ignore it. He may be Bat's most famous villain but I'd much rather read about anyone else but him, unless its a more classic take on the character anyway. I just haven't liked the way he's been handled in recent years plus he's overexposed in my opinion.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    Nope.

Only time I bought a comic because of either of them is when The Joker had his own series in the 70's.

I was young. I read every comic I could.
    The first Bat-related book I ever owned was an issue of The Joker, not of Batman.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Joker? Eh not really. I haven't been too impressed with his recent showings in Snyder or King's runs. Also I'm utterly fed up with that character showing up everywhere in DC Media outside of comics. I could barely get through Arkham Knight I was so sick of him.

Luthor? I love the guy, Azz's Luthor, Superman: The Black Ring, and 52 solidified him as my favorite villain. But he's practically been the co-star of the Superman books since Rebirth started. I'm tired of him and want to see the other villains get some love.

So I'd say no neither one really makes me pick up a book I wasn't already planning on getting.

There are so many Joker stories that I am less likely to buy a book he is in.

I prefer Luthor over Zod though.

The guy that sells me my comics is named Mike. Joker and Lex Luthor unfortunately have never sold me comics.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No.

They're two of my favorite characters, but no. Not really any character gets me to buy something on their own. The Joker especially, he may be one of my favorite villains ever, but that doesn't mean I like what's done with him 90% of the time.