Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The New Mutants original comic. What was it about? Refresher course. Help please

I missed out on the entire New Mutants series back then since I was a young kid who was more into some of the original Uncanny X Men and Alpha Flight and Power Pack.

Who was team leader of the New Mutants besides Moonstar I presume?

Who was teaching the New Mutants anyway in the comic? Was the comic in a lighter tone or was it darker as in deaths etc?

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post
    I missed out on the entire New Mutants series back then since I was a young kid who was more into some of the original Uncanny X Men and Alpha Flight and Power Pack.

Who was teaching the New Mutants anyway in the comic? Was the comic in a lighter tone or was it darker as in deaths etc?
    Might wanna go to the appreciation thread.
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Karma was the first leader because she was the oldest at 18 or 19. She "died" (actually she was possessed by the Shadow King) early on and Moonstar became the leader, with Cannonball acting as co-leader. Dani was more the tactical leader and Sam was the "Big Brother" that handled the personal problems.

Prof X taught the team with help from Stevie Hunter. Moira helped out on occasion, too. Then there was Sharon, a nurse, and Tom, an ex cop turned groundskeeper. I'm forgetting their last names. Magneto took over from Charles when the Prof went into space.

There weren't many actual deaths, but the tone was pretty dark. Karma disappeared, Moonstar got gutted, Illyana was constantly struggling with her dark side, etc.

Claremont's run is well worth traking down. After issue 54 things kind of get screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by paurru View Post

Karma was the first leader, then Moonstar and Cannonball shared the role as co-leaders.

Xavier was the first teacher, with Stevie Hunter being the physical education instructor. Then Magneto took the reigns, but by that point the team was pretty self-sufficient. Emma had her own school and team, and tried many times to take the NM under her wing(with and without their(and their headmaster's) permission).

The tone was pretty dark from the beginning, but there are light-hearted moments throughout. I just read the first 60 issues or so recently. It was incredible until Claremont left. I couldn't stomach Simonson's for more than a few issues. I would highly recommend the first 54 issues, though! Right up there with Claremont's X-Men work.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

As ridiculous as it is, I found myself really liking the bird brain stuff lol
    "yeah, chum, the devil you say, bunkie" - claremont

Protect the weak. Darth Phoenix's Avatar

Magneto was one of the teachers as well as the White King.
    Moonstar became a Valkery and then an evil one for Hela. her and Magik had dark stories.

Cable showed up the end and took them in a more adult direction

best of all the had a group of rival mutants to compete with giving them other mutants to play against who were not evil just mislead by Emma.

hellions.jpg
    Last edited by Darth Phoenix; 11-01-2016 at 06:00 AM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

SWII threw me off big time. It was in the late 30s early 40s that they started talking about being dead and acting all detached. It's not the kind of series where you can really skip stuff, so it just stayed kinda fuzzy until around Fall of the Mutants. But I like it, good stuff. Shame on me for losing the original graphic novel.

Quote Originally Posted by SicariiDC View Post
    As ridiculous as it is, I found myself really liking the bird brain stuff lol
    I hated Birdbrain at 1st, I thought he was there to replace Doug. But I love him and that island of mutate animals.

doug dies.jpg

The core New Mutants are Cannonball, Moonstar, Sunspot, Wolfsbane, and Magik. Karma is an original member, but frankly barely in the series. Cannonball and Moonstar are co-leaders and their leadership abilities seem to parallel that of Cyclops and Storm. The book goes through phases in it's 100 issue run. The book starts as classic students at Xaviers, then Magneto takes over the school - which ultimately end with the New Mutants mentorless, the team merges with the X-Terminators (X-Factor's version of the NMs) and Cable then takes over the team which becomes X-Force vol. 1 (Which is well worth reading as well).
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    Claremont's run is well worth traking down.
    ^ This. Especially the first 24 issues.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

And the first Asgard arc.

Yes! Good call.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

I like all the Asgard stuff that has stuck to Dani over the years,
    asga.jpg
    New mutants was so strange

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

One thing I always liked about the New Mutants was that they were no just X-Men clones. They even confronted Xavier about it latter on in the X-Force series saying that since they were taught by Xavier, Magneto, and Cable they had a different view of the world and how it worked than the X-Men did.

I was looking at some Marvel Age covers and I came across this gem. It was during the first AvX limited series and the Fallen Angels. The other New Mutants are on the cover but there is this black girl standing by Dani. She couldn't be a mis-colored Karma because of the curly hair. Who was she going to be? Was Marvel going to permanently have Sunspot and Warlock join the Fallen Angels so they needed a new black character on the team? I don't remember hearing anything about this.
    marvel-age-48.jpg