Default X-Men: The Age of Apocalypse, what did you like best or any critiques?

Hi everyone! What did you think about AoA and the Companion Omnibus? I've heard mixed reviews so thoughts are welcome! Cheers!

Extraordinary Member

I like that it created a whole new world and managed to make it make a certain amount of sense and keep it somewhat internally consistent across an entire line of comics. The comics also looked good and used relatively new (to Marvel) tools like full-bleed pages and computer lettering to their utmost. It's a really brilliant job of editing by Bob Harras.

On the other hand it's still just a huge What-If? story and is hard to follow even knowing the characters already. So it's the best and worst of Harras: really well edited and produced comics that are kind of depressing and impenetrable.

Quote Originally Posted by theboychild View Post
    Hi everyone! What did you think about AoA and the Companion Omnibus? I've heard mixed reviews so thoughts are welcome! Cheers!
    Two Words:90s Nostalgia: Gen NeXt

I loved all the artwork that was on display.

And for the most part, I really enjoyed how everything was so well-thought out.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 07-23-2018 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Made a correction.

Spectacular Member

Best thing: that it happened!

Worst thing: that it ended!

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

The thing I'm most impressed by, aside from the fact that many (including me) consider it to be one of the best X-stories of all time*, is how well-structured it is. Every book has a specific mission that contributes to the overall narrative, and the opening and closing one-shots open and close all those plot threads beautifully. It's even more impressive when considering that it was pretty much slapped together in a hurry.

*It's certainly among the top X-Men events of all time.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

BANNED

Best parts: The attention to detail in how the character's stories were different. How they looked, acted, and interacted with each other.

The Worst: Marvel wouldn't let it die, or just be it's own little bubble. They kept bringing it back.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    Best parts: The attention to detail in how the character's stories were different. How they looked, acted, and interacted with each other.

The Worst: Marvel wouldn't let it die, or just be it's own little bubble. They kept bringing it back.
    IA and each time, it keeps proven that its nowhere near as good as the original story.

yeah i agree, for me the AoA stopped when the bombs dropped at the end of omega and that's that. i happen to think it's a wonderful event and accomplished the rarest of feats: very few wasted tie-ins in a huge, multi-part crossover. i mean, you didn't have to read x-calibre, for instance, but i thought each title enhanced the overall narrative rather than took away. the only books i found unnecessary were the two "universe" issues that dealt with other marvel heroes in the AoA world.

Astonishing Member Sandmans_Raven's Avatar

Really really enjoyed it. Loved the art and aesthetic of the world and the characters and enjoyed the overall dourness of the tone. I can't think of an elseworlds story/concept that I've enjoyed as much as AoA.

Astonishing Member

I think my only critique was Roger Cruz on Alpha and Omega aping Joe Mad art, it looked good for majority of Alpha but in the end and in Omega it looked rushed.

Astonishing Member

AoA was great, the only book I found bad was Gambit and the Externals.

The best ones were Gen Next, X-Universe (the only good use of Mikhail Rasputin in comics) and Factor-X. Though many were good. I have always liked the character Abyss, who was unfortunately depowered in 616. He is the brother (or half brother) of Nightcrawler.

The translation of Magneto's costume as a base for full team redesign. Sunfire's costume redesign being the best he's ever looked.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    yeah i agree, for me the AoA stopped when the bombs dropped at the end of omega and that's that. i happen to think it's a wonderful event and accomplished the rarest of feats: very few wasted tie-ins in a huge, multi-part crossover. i mean, you didn't have to read x-calibre, for instance, but i thought each title enhanced the overall narrative rather than took away. the only books i found unnecessary were the two "universe" issues that dealt with other marvel heroes in the AoA world.
    I recently read the TPBs and hadn't ever read Xternals, Xcalibre, XUniverse, WeaponX, NeXtGen,....they were all really really good and tied in very well with Xmen & Omega...you didn't have to read them, but they were an expansion of everything that was going on in the world and we got some really awesome character stories & variations.