Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    It was good very creepy tho
    Yeah did you see how Cabal drew dying Sophie and Esme?

Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Yeah did you see how Cabal drew dying Sophie and Esme?

Damn.
    Very creepy. Cabal is bringing his A game to this title. I was genuinely startled when I saw how they looked.

Well that was unexpectedly creepy, are we about to get a telepathic blondeverine or is the blood just going to heal her?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    This book has no business looking as good as it does. If only the main books had an artist of this caliber. I was impressed
    First thing I noticed, the art was gorgeous
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Loved issue and it's theme of clone identity, and the dictomy between Laura, Gabby, and their history associated with their sisters. Then the Cuckoos drive to bring back their own sisters. Esme's attempts at manipulating the group should be interesting. Agree on all accounts regarding the art and writing certainly what the X-franchise deserves.

Can I also say I love that the Cuckoos are involved, though I have mixed feelings about their changes. On the one hand it's stark different than how they've appeared recently, I have to admit I never bought or enjoyed what Bendis did with changing their looks. It wasn't unique it was just superficial, obvious, with minimal follow-up other than the girls bumping head's. At the moment I love the call back to Morrison and Quietly.

WOW. This was a very strong opener. I am so happy that all of the amazing work Taylor has done with Laura and Gabby are in good hands. Tamaki's character and story work is so smart, particularly with the inclusion of the Cuckoos. She really captured the messed up pathos of the Cuckoos, making them perfect foil to Laura and Gabby.

The art was phenomenal. Tamaki and Cabal are just a killer way to start a book.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

I just need to throw in a shoutout to Mike Choi for his covers and costume design.
    I absolutely love the man. By far one of my two favorite artists (the other is Phil Noto. Those two are LEGENDS).
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Bought this book as last minute "why not" as I enjoyed some of the earlier ANW and came away extremely impressed. The Cuckoos were a wonderful surprise, and I found myself glued to every moment they were on the page. Loved them. I also echo what others have said: returning them to a collective hive mind is their "thing", I never understood why they wanted to individualize them. They work this way, their intriguing this way. And creepy. Oh so creepy.

Bonus points on how each one of them had _part_ of their logo on their poncho. Clever and cool.

tech nerd buggery: I liked the cuckoos when they had 3 or 5 members. The idea that 1 could get killed off would put us at an even number ... I mean there's no simple majority, no raft consensus! How do we establish a stable leader or ID? I mean come on now!!!
    https://raft.github.io/

OK ... other than my deep irrational concern about how fictional psychic clusters could crash due to split brain scenarios ... this was awesome. OK ... maybe that last part becomes a plot point? Bah...

For a book I wasn't sure about picking up ... color me impressed!
    Last edited by GrandEleven; 07-12-2018 at 08:46 PM.

I posted my thoughts in the X-23 Appreciation thread before catching up here, but I have some more:

The mirroring of Laura's pose with Sophie's position at the end was really fascinating with her monologue, and the wonderful big sister focus in this definitely sets up some Gabby drama for Laura.

Re: the X-23 return, I suspect it is Laura reclaiming the name since she's going after the people who make clone weapons. Be careful what you wish for etc.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    Frankly, no one cares about Chaos War.
    They cared even less when it was released as a tie in to Chaos War.

BANNED

I was just thinking it's going to be interesting to see the sales for this issue. It didn't cross my mind that X-23 was up against new #1s for both Bendis' Superman and Amazing Spider-Man this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I was just thinking it's going to be interesting to see the sales for this issue. It didn't cross my mind that X-23 was up against new #1s for both Bendis' Superman and Amazing Spider-Man this week.
    Except "sales" aren't actual sales, especially when they're #1's and have a $#%@ ton of variant covers.
    Last edited by Nazrel; 07-14-2018 at 07:51 AM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    Except "sales" aren't actual sales, especially when they're #1's and have a $#%@ ton of variant covers.
    I'm aware, but debuting against two powerhouses like Superman and Spider-Man is going to be interesting.

We do know that X-23 #1 surpassed all other books in reorders, although I'm not exactly sure how reorders relate in regards to the overall numbers.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    I'm aware, but debuting against two powerhouses like Superman and Spider-Man is going to be interesting.

We do know that X-23 #1 surpassed all other books in reorders, although I'm not exactly sure how reorders relate in regards to the overall numbers.
    I can't speak for physical sales but on the marvel app X23 is ranked 4 topped only by superman Vader and adamantium adjenda. Oml is 9th and blue is 5th. X23 also has the 3th highest number of reviews, at 100, Vader I 125, spider man is 270, and admantum is 42.
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 07-14-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Wow, this is looking SUPER good, both art and plot wise.

I'm not a huge fan of the ponchos, but I LOVED the fractioned X-logo, and how it gave away from the beginning that it was not actually complete with just the 3 of them. I love those kind of details.

Only thing I'm not a fan of is the Cuckoos going back to being the same, BUT, I guess it makes sense considering the situation. Also Esme is back to her evil femme fatale self from Morrison's era. Also, funny how little detail they gave when talking about Sophie's and specially Esme's death. "Killed by a pair or metal earrings" LOL, yeah... and by whom?
    "I wish I could live life five times over!
    Then I’d be born in five different places,
    and I’d stuff myself with different food from around the world.
    I’d live five different lives with five different occupations...
    and then, for those five times...
    I’d fall in love with the same person...
    "

- Orihime Inoue