All-New Member

Default Infinite Crisis Omnibus overkill?

Hi all! I am about to start reading the Crisis events. I have Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe edition, Infinite Crisis Omnibus, and Identity Crisis in my cart. I am waiting for the Final Crisis Omnibus thats coming out in septI was wondering if the Infinite Crisis Omnibus has a lot of useless tie in issues that really have no bearing on the story?
    I am newer to DC, I have read a lot of N52 titles and Rebirth titles, but not a lot of titles pre N52, some superman, catching up on Batman starting at Year 1 and I have read Geoff Jhns run on GL.

Anyway, I have read Metal and LOVED IT although it dragged a little, but rereading it made it better. I did not read any of the tie ins in other books, but I did read all of the one shots that dealt with the alt batmans and thought they were enjoyable.

Mostly I dont want to spend time reading tie ins where teen titans are fighting a random baddie from the cross over event just because they had to be part of the event. This happens a lot at Marvel and this is why I don't like tie in issues. Is it the same at DC?

I dont mind spending more on the omnibus if the reading material is worth it. Even if there are some issues that are worth it, because I like to collect. But I did research that countdown to crisis was useless. Anyway thanks for any tips! I am excited to dive deeper into DC
    Last edited by Autobot Tran; 07-17-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Autobot Tran View Post
    Hi all! I am about to start reading the Crisis events. I have Crisis on Infinite Earths Deluxe edition, Infinite Crisis Omnibus, and Identity Crisis in my cart. I am waiting for the Final Crisis Omnibus thats coming out in septI was wondering if the Infinite Crisis Omnibus has a lot of useless tie in issues that really have no bearing on the story?
    I am newer to DC, I have read a lot of N52 titles and Rebirth titles, but not a lot of titles pre N52, some superman, catching up on Batman starting at Year 1 and I have read Geoff Jhns run on GL.

Anyway, I have read Metal and LOVED IT although it dragged a little, but rereading it made it better. I did not read any of the tie ins in other books, but I did read all of the one shots that dealt with the alt batmans and thought they were enjoyable.

Mostly I dont want to spend time reading tie ins where teen titans are fighting a random baddie from the cross over event just because they had to be part of the event. This happens a lot at Marvel and this is why I don't like tie in issues. Is it the same at DC?

I dont mind spending more on the omnibus if the reading material is worth it. Even if there are some issues that are worth it, because I like to collect. But I did research that countdown to crisis was useless. Anyway thanks for any tips! I am excited to dive deeper into DC

I was underwhelmed by Day of Vengeance, passed on Rann-Thanagar War and loved Villains United and OMAC Project/Sacrifice. You will be able to follow the events of IC if you skip all of the prelude minis except for OMAC Project (which ties into Sacrifice) and is ESSENTIAL. OMAC Project/Sacrifice is the firing shot that kicks off the event. I waited for the Absolute to upgrade because I didn't need DoV or RTW I just wanted the 'meat and potatoes.' Villains United is basically the start of Gail Simone's excellent Secret Six book.

Personally, I would have preferred the lead-up minis and other relevant issues be collected separately in a Prelude omnibus for the main omni I would have added OMAC Project/Sacrifice which are intertwined and spotlight the Trinity and lead straight into IC 1. As well as the various tie-in issues that take place between issues of IC, like the Secret Files story and the related JSA Classified Power Girl arc and the E1/E2 Superman tie-in arc from the Superman books.
    Last edited by Thor2014; 07-17-2018 at 02:39 PM.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Personally, I enjoyed all of the lead up and tie-ins to IC.

While not everything was absolutely necessary to understanding the main series, they all extrapolated on various events nicely, and nothing really felt superfluous. The great thing about the omni is that it puts it all in a comprehensive reading order, making for an even better experience than that of the original single issues.

All my humble opinion, of course. YMMV.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES