Nice follow-up to issue #1. Although, I have to say, despite the dense amount of exposition, the issue still read somewhat light to me.

For those interested, here's a rundown:

• The issue begins with a quick recap of Khufu and Chay-Ara's origin.
  • The added wrinkle here is that the Thanagarian ship landing in Ancient Egypt wasn't necessarily a coincidence; rather, it may have actually been sent to them.
  • Like issue #1, we have Carter taking advantage of a friend made via his past lives' experience.
  • At the British Museum, Carter reexamines the Kingdom of Prince Khufu Exhibit, looking for a clue he may have previously overlooked.
  • Studying a statue of Horus, something triggers Carter to literally transfer back to Ancient Egypt.
  • Here, Hawkman confronts himself as Prince Khufu.
  • Pleading with Khufu to help him stop the winged threat from his visions, a name suddenly comes to Carter: "Kalmoran."
  • Sharing a knowledge of the same name, Khufu reveals he drew a map, which likewise came to him in a vision.
  • Returning to his place in the British Museum, Carter (still dressed as Hawkman) smashes a pillar in the exhibit, revealing Khufu's map inside.
  • Taking the map and flying away to safety, Hawkman notes his bruises from his fight with Khufu, confirming it was much more than just a dream.
  • As he examines the map, he begins plotting his next destination: Dinosaur Island!

The most pleasant surprise here, for me anyway, was the invocation of "Kalmoran." I've always liked the history behind this Thanagarian figure--what little we've gotten over the years, anyway--and I've long believed he should be more central to Hawkman lore than he's characteristically been. It'll be interesting to see how Venditti reworks him into Carter's origin. Will he be a past life now, or something grander, perhaps? Maybe something more sinister, even? Either way, I'm digging Venditti's use of existing lore to create new intrigue.

Hitch's art was stronger this issue, too, I thought, although it also remains a little too subdued for my tastes. I think a brighter color palette would help a lot (something I know Hitch probably doesn't have much say in), but it's still solid enough. I think the best visual scenes were at the end, with Hawkman standing wingless over London's skyline. Hawkman himself, though, appears less grandiose than I think he should under Hitch's pencil. But that's just me.

Anyhoo, the globetrotting and fisticuffs continue even as the plot thickens. I'm appreciating that balance the most, I think, as so far these first two entries have felt like very strong standalone issues that also build towards something more. I hope Venditti manages to maintain that balance throughout this opening arc, and for however long he continues to write the series.