Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Hawkman #2 (Spoilers)

Nice follow-up to issue #1. Although, I have to say, despite the dense amount of exposition, the issue still read somewhat light to me.

For those interested, here's a rundown:

• The issue begins with a quick recap of Khufu and Chay-Ara's origin.
    • The added wrinkle here is that the Thanagarian ship landing in Ancient Egypt wasn't necessarily a coincidence; rather, it may have actually been sent to them.
    • Like issue #1, we have Carter taking advantage of a friend made via his past lives' experience.
    • At the British Museum, Carter reexamines the Kingdom of Prince Khufu Exhibit, looking for a clue he may have previously overlooked.
    • Studying a statue of Horus, something triggers Carter to literally transfer back to Ancient Egypt.
    • Here, Hawkman confronts himself as Prince Khufu.
    • Pleading with Khufu to help him stop the winged threat from his visions, a name suddenly comes to Carter: "Kalmoran."
    • Sharing a knowledge of the same name, Khufu reveals he drew a map, which likewise came to him in a vision.
    • Returning to his place in the British Museum, Carter (still dressed as Hawkman) smashes a pillar in the exhibit, revealing Khufu's map inside.
    • Taking the map and flying away to safety, Hawkman notes his bruises from his fight with Khufu, confirming it was much more than just a dream.
    • As he examines the map, he begins plotting his next destination: Dinosaur Island!

The most pleasant surprise here, for me anyway, was the invocation of "Kalmoran." I've always liked the history behind this Thanagarian figure--what little we've gotten over the years, anyway--and I've long believed he should be more central to Hawkman lore than he's characteristically been. It'll be interesting to see how Venditti reworks him into Carter's origin. Will he be a past life now, or something grander, perhaps? Maybe something more sinister, even? Either way, I'm digging Venditti's use of existing lore to create new intrigue.

Hitch's art was stronger this issue, too, I thought, although it also remains a little too subdued for my tastes. I think a brighter color palette would help a lot (something I know Hitch probably doesn't have much say in), but it's still solid enough. I think the best visual scenes were at the end, with Hawkman standing wingless over London's skyline. Hawkman himself, though, appears less grandiose than I think he should under Hitch's pencil. But that's just me.

Anyhoo, the globetrotting and fisticuffs continue even as the plot thickens. I'm appreciating that balance the most, I think, as so far these first two entries have felt like very strong standalone issues that also build towards something more. I hope Venditti manages to maintain that balance throughout this opening arc, and for however long he continues to write the series.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

BANNED

Great issue. I'm really digging Venditti's work here, it's on par with his X-O Manowar run and miles better than his Green Lantern.

So Kalmoran is something/someone existing? Interesting, it's not often I read something DC that has me clueless. It's exciting.

I wonder if london is going to be carter’s new base of operations. But what’s with the hawk symbol on carter’s chest?

Quote Originally Posted by Jody Garland View Post
    So Kalmoran is something/someone existing? Interesting, it's not often I read something DC that has me clueless. It's exciting.
    Found this on a google search:
    Homeworld: Thanagar
    Race: Thanagarians
    Space Sector: 2682
    First Appearance: (statue only): Brave and the Bold #43 (August-September 1962): "The Masked Marauders of Earth"
    Creators: Gardner Fox and Joe Kubert
    HISTORY
    One bit of folklore in Thanagarian culture resides on Thanagar's first great hero, Kalmoran. Many Thanagarians will argue this is just as much fact as fiction. Born in a tiny chain of islands when Thanagar was still under the tyrinical rule of the Polarians, he lived much of his life as a slave. One fateful day, he killed his master and escaped. When he returned, it was at the head of an army, three thousand strong. The army stormed the Polaran garrison, took their ships and struck the Polaran slave worlds. Planet by planet, Kalmoran razed the entire Polaran Homeworld. He had no interest in ruling the Polaran Worlds, but people knew he would do what he could to keep them safe. So he returned to Thanagar and built a beautiful city. And one day, he returned to the islands he was born on with the woman he had made his queen. He laid back in her arms and the cool grass and looked upon all he had built. And then he died.
    http://dcuguide.com/w/Kalmoran

Astonishing Member

I enjoyed the art and plot of this issue too. This series is off to a great start! I’m enjoying this more than any of my other books now.

Thanks to those who found Kalmoran. It did not occur to me that Kalmoran would exist outside this issue. Silly me.

I am really hoping to see some of Carter’s Golden age foes revitalized. If not, I’m still really enjoying this story.

A little wordy, but not bad.

Fantastic Member

Solid Issue. I don't know very much about Hawkman's history but I'm interested in the mystery here.
    "If I come back from the dead one more time I'll be seriously in danger of turning into some kind of walking cliche." - Jean Grey, Uncanny X-Men #284

I'm guessing this issue still had no word/hint of any past connection between Hawkman and the (still unaccounted for) Justice Society of America?

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Can't wait to pick this up.

Boisterously Confused

There's promise here, but it's not yet realized. I'll give it a few issues.

I missed the first issue, since it had sold out at my LCS and I couldn't be bothered to download it from comixology (more of a Shay/Kendra fan than a Carter one). Figured that was enough of a sign for me to skip the book (there's a lot of other interesting stuff out there, and I'm trying to keep my pull a little shorter). But from the sounds of it, this will definitely be a trade-buy.

If Kendra/Shayera pop up, someone let me know! I'll be all over that issue, and probably buy the back issues to get caught up.

So, Carter is chasing a mystery that somehow ties into the original Thanagarian hero? Who wants to bet that the big reveal will be that Kalmoran was actually Carter's first life, and he's just forgotten everything before ancient Egypt?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Absolutely my new favorite book
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I missed the first issue, since it had sold out at my LCS and I couldn't be bothered to download it from comixology (more of a Shay/Kendra fan than a Carter one).
    Is she in Snyder's Justice League run?

This issue had me asking one question after I was done reading it. Why the hell does Hawkman need wings?!? Khufu is flying around like Superman with the same Nth metal harness that Carter wears. If that’s the case, aren’t his wings pointless?