Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This issue had me asking one question after I was done reading it. Why the hell does Hawkman need wings?!? Khufu is flying around like Superman with the same Nth metal harness that Carter wears. If that’s the case, aren’t his wings pointless?
    Because he's called Hawkman, and he looks spectacular with wings.

Also, he can use the wings as weapons if need be.

Good enough for me.
    WHO DAT?!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    There's promise here, but it's not yet realized. I'll give it a few issues.
    What are you looking for?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    What are you looking for?
    It's less a matter of specific expectations than not yet feeling deeply vested. One thing I would like is to see Venditti build some consistent supporting characters and situations into the story. Some of the characters introduced so far might be building toward that, but I can't see clear signs of it yet. Like I said, I'll hang around and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    This issue had me asking one question after I was done reading it. Why the hell does Hawkman need wings?!? Khufu is flying around like Superman with the same Nth metal harness that Carter wears. If that’s the case, aren’t his wings pointless?
    IMO, the pencils didn't clearly establish a sense of speed to Khufu's movements, so it could have been just low gravity leaps and glides. At the same time, the pencils didn't demonstrate that Hawkman's wings provided any maneuverability or propulsive advantage over Khufu either.

Extraordinary Member

I just keep waiting for Katar Hol.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I just keep waiting for Katar Hol.
    He is Katar Hol, just as he's Carter Hall and Khufu and Silent Knight and Nighthawk and Bird-Man and many, many more.

They're all the same character now. I'm sure the more Thanagarian-centric stuff will be coming soon enough.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    He is Katar Hol, just as he's Carter Hall and Khufu and Silent Knight and Nighthawk and Bird-Man and many, many more.
    “Birrrrdman!”

They're all the same character now. I'm sure the more Thanagarian-centric stuff will be coming soon enough.
    yeah, I think there's room for everything.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, I get that. But I wanted a separate Katar Hol. I want Carter to be in the JSA and Katar to be in the JLA just like pre-Crisis.

Boisterously Confused

Yeah, I get that. But I wanted a separate Katar Hol. I want Carter to be in the JSA and Katar to be in the JLA just like pre-Crisis.
    Yeaaaahhhh, that's not gonna work. The coincidence of two characters that similar worked fine as long as they had a multiverse's worth of possibilities in the consideration set. Parking them right next to each other pushes it too hard.

Hawkman can not afford a split fan base. I actually really like this explanation, DC just needs to stick to it. They can’t keep flip flopping who Hawkman is like they did with the New 52.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

He goes on and on about himself and his history, along with general other exploration related things. So yeah, historically he is Katar Hol. But then personality wise he kind of just seems like a tour guide for the plot more than the specific other takes on his character. I'd say Hawkman is a book about Hawkman's biggest fan: Hawkman.

If that sounds down on the book, it's because I am. Despite some cool stuff like bombastic, widescreen action. As someone who eagerly awaited this book it's really disappointing to be done with it so soon, but I'm glad that it gets such positive feedback elsewhere. If you all think it's pretty good, it makes me happy for people to buy it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    He goes on and on about himself and his history, along with general other exploration related things. So yeah, historically he is Katar Hol. But then personality wise he kind of just seems like a tour guide for the plot more than the specific other takes on his character. I'd say Hawkman is a book about Hawkman's biggest fan: Hawkman.
    Agree. I just want the Katar and Shiera Hol from Thanagar that I grew up with without all the baggage of Khufu and all the reincarnation dribble.

Boisterously Confused

Agree. I just want the Katar and Shiera Hol from Thanagar that I grew up with without all the baggage of Khufu and all the reincarnation dribble.
    ...aaaaaand that's DC's problem in a nutshell. They cooked up so many versions of their characters, chasing the newest trends, they've fragmented their fanbase. I share your preference (although I"m not hostile to the original), but I can see others wanting "the Hawkman that I grew up with..." which might mean "Hawkworld", or JSA "Return of Hawkman", there may even be some that want (and I would not get why), the post-Zero Hour combined dude.

I'm willing to try this version for a while and see if it's worth sticking with on its own merits. I also take comfort in the idea that Hawk-fans don't have nearly the factionalization that Green Lantern fans deal with.

We just had Katar. It was rough, and he came with his own Thanagar baggage and "dribble". And boy was there dribble.

If i didn't think that Hawkman can't afford a split fan base right now, id say why not start a new Hawkman in the reincarnation cycle. The did it with Hawkgirl. The interesting thing is that it'd still be Carter in a sense, so you'd have that going for it, but at the same time it'd a fresh start for a new generation to jump on.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-13-2018 at 02:20 PM.

Astonishing Member

I prefer Carter. I think the golden-age Hawkman is more relatable and wish his foes to be revisited.

We now have the best of all words: Earth, Thanagar, Krypton, Rann and etcetera. Your Hawkman, my Hawkman, Nighthawk, Silent Knight, Hawks-we-have-never-heard-of and etcetera.

This is really for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    . . . We now have the best of all words: Earth, Thanagar, Krypton, Rann and etcetera. Your Hawkman, my Hawkman, Nighthawk, Silent Knight, Hawks-we-have-never-heard-of and etcetera.

This is really for the best.
    It is?
    Could have fooled me.
    Is the "Carter Hall" we have based on the original Golden Age/JSA member of the past, or is he more of the post-Zero Hour "CARTER THE BARBARIAN" that seemed to be in the few Geoff Johns stories I read? (More savage than intellectual.)