AZZERELLO
    JOSS WHEDON
    BKV
    WARREN ELLIS
    GRANT MORRISON
    GARTH ENNIS
    Manapul and his studio mates
    Fabian Nicieza HELLO

when will Marvel make a move to counter DC’s juggernaut writing team?

You're assuming any of those people you're suggesting even want to do any major work for Marvel. Beyond that, Marvel's not hurting for talent the way you think they are. Kelly Thompson, Cates, Rosenberg, Ahmed, Zub, Spencer, Slott, Waid, Sims, Aaron, Coates. I may not like all these writers, but they're all pretty well-respected within the industry.

I know it's popular to think that the sky is falling and Marvel has no good writers. But it's not true. Marvel has plenty of great writers. And they'll get more. They always do.

Also, G. Willow Wilson is writing Wonder Woman but she's also still with Marvel. Gail Simone's still mostly DC, but she's writing Domino. And there are indications Hickman may have some Marvel work coming up (speculation is him writing a relaunched Uncanny X-Men, though I still think that should go to Kelly Thompson).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Hmmm

Johns
    King
    Bendis
    KSD
    Snyder
    Possibly Hickman
    Gerard Way

And now G Willow Wilson

DC is crushing Marvel
    Wilson still owed DC a book. So they're not taking her away from Marvel. She's been obliged to write a book for DC for awhile now. She isn't leaving Marvel.

As for the rest...DC can happily keep them exclusively on their side of the aisle. Please, DC, keep them!

No one at Marvel, reader-wise, at least - is missing Bendis. DC taking Bendis was nothing but a boon to Marvel. Snyder has become a Morrison-lite hack, King's Batman is puerile, who knows who Hickman's going to write for (possibly neither of the big two) and Gerard Way and KSD? Please. They're fine but it's not as though they're powerhouse additions to DC's arsenal.

I'll take Aaron, Cates, Rosenberg, Soule, Thompson, Spencer, Brisson, Ewing and Slott over any of DC's writing stable.

Honestly I don't think there's much of an issue here.

Both Marvel and DC have a pretty good pool of writers. And we all know that writers teams shuffle around between the big 2 every few years to keep things fresh.

Extraordinary Member

Personally I think Marvel is hurting for talent, which is not to say they have no good talent available. Just that DC has taken a lot of writing and art talent from them, and that Marvel is heavily reliant on a small pool of writers who have been doing most of their major books for the last few years now, and mostly don't move the needle on sales.

To get writers and artists who do have a sales following, Marvel would probably either need to pay more than they're paying, or do a better job of developing people into "star" writers who weren't stars before. Cebulski is still mostly working with the talent and the assignments he inherited, so it may take a while to see if he has any plans of his own, but I'm not sure if he can fix what seems to be a structural problem at Marvel.

Marvel:
    Dollar Share 38.42%
    Unit Share 40.98%

DC:
    Dollar Share 30.54%
    Unit Share 33.73%
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html

Hmmm

Johns
    King
    Bendis
    KSD
    Snyder
    Possibly Hickman
    Gerard Way

And now G Willow Wilson

DC is crushing Marvel

Here are some suggestions for CB whenever he gets around to his EIC DUTIES

AZZERELLO
    JOSS WHEDON
    BKV
    WARREN ELLIS
    GRANT MORRISON
    GARTH ENNIS
    Fabian Nicieza HELLO

Fabian Nicieza is who they should get and give him the X-men. Also Scott Lobdell.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Wilson still owed DC a book. So they're not taking her away from Marvel. She's been obliged to write a book for DC for awhile now. She isn't leaving Marvel.

As for the rest...DC can happily keep them exclusively on their side of the aisle. Please, DC, keep them!

No one at Marvel, reader-wise, at least - is missing Bendis. DC taking Bendis was nothing but a boon to Marvel. Snyder has become a Morrison-lite hack, King's Batman is puerile, who knows who Hickman's going to write for (possibly neither of the big two) and Gerard Way and KSD? Please. They're fine but it's not as though they're powerhouse additions to DC's arsenal.
    Plenty of readers like Bendis. I know many hate him, but easily as many people enjoy his work. So maybe keep your generalisations to yourself.
    Last edited by Kuwagaton; 07-12-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Childish retort
    #EmmaWasRight

Ultimate Member

NOTHING

Because there is one little issue that has to be dealt with and it has nothing to do with Marvel-FAN BEHAVIOR.

How can one bring in new talent when they get attack the MOMENT they are hired. Resume be damn. Especially if they get assigned certain characters.

Only reason someone thinks Joss & the rest are good hires is because SOMEONE took the time to read their work not write them off.

Lets say they go with say Kwanza Osajyefo for say Winter Soldier or Punisher. We all know who has an issue with HIM.

It gets to a point of it doesn't matter WHO I get SOMEONE will take issue with the writer or the book they do.

DC can have all the names that they want-it hasn't helped them yet beyond the "pets" of DC. Where is that counter to Miles Morales at? Oh that's right he's owned by Milestone and is still MIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    I'll take Aaron, Cates, Rosenberg, Soule, Thompson, Spencer, Brisson, Ewing and Slott over any of DC's writing stable.
    I'd trade Soule away for Tynion. Otherwise, largely agreed.

Incredible Member

Well, I guess it is personal preference. Save for a few I find most of Marvels writers pretty mediocre. I like Cates and I think Coates recent work has been great. Some titles like the X-men need a superstar writer/artist team. The X-titles have been woeful for years. I just have found recent DC books more fun to read and most of Marvel's titles a chore.

Here are some suggestions for CB whenever he gets around to his EIC DUTIES

AZZERELLO
    JOSS WHEDON
    BKV
    WARREN ELLIS
    GRANT MORRISON
    GARTH ENNIS
    Fabian Nicieza HELLO
    Most of the guys you mentioned are big enough names that they only do work when they want to. Marvel's been letting Warren Ellis and Garth Ennis especially do whatever they want in recent years, and yes we've got some damn good books out of it, but there's no volume of money Cebulski or anyone else on the publishing side is able to throw that would make them do anything long-term. Meanwhile Morrison seems to have been on the outs with Marvel ever since leaving New X-Men, Joss Whedon is long past comics at this point, and Nicieza is...really not in the same league as the rest of these guys (sorry Fabs), and is actually still involved with Marvel, but they (correctly) use him as a special-appearances guy only, much like his pal Liefeld. Neither of those two should be guiding major books.

Not that I don't take issue with some of Marvel's hiring standards - it continues to be irritating that most of their women or POC hires come from fields outside comics while they ignore those struggling to get noticed on the indie scene - but they've got a solid stable now, there's always another wave of promising creators to uncover, and pinning your hopes on the successes of the past is rarely a good plan.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelg View Post
    Fabian Nicieza is who they should get and give him the X-men. Also Scott Lobdell.
    On Lobdell, hey, let's not. For Nicieza, meh, nostalgia's overrated, let's get someone new in charge of the X-Men. I keep saying: Kelly Thompson. Put Kelly Thompson on Uncanny X-Men. She's earned it. Nicieza had his chance, a lot of people had their chances, let's put new blood on it. And ****, if the goal is to evoke the '90s, Kelly Thompson made me actually care about Rogue and Gambit as a couple, she can evoke the '90s better than any of the writers from the '90s actually could.

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    Marvel:
    Dollar Share 38.42%
    Unit Share 40.98%

DC:
    Dollar Share 30.54%
    Unit Share 33.73%
    That indicates that there profit per unit is roughly the same, and that Marvel putting out more books than DC is the only reason they have the appearance of doing better. Basically put nether one of them is doing poorly compared to each other when it comes to unit sells.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    I'd trade Soule away for Tynion. Otherwise, largely agreed.
    Tynion's good. But I also like Soule.