Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Lightbulb

That's a tough question. On the one hand, Superman should always try to rectify any situation that is unjust. On the other hand, if he takes things too far we could end up with an Injustice type situation in which Superman starts writing the new rules and slides towards authoritarianism. It is a very delicate balancing act. Perhaps the best position is for Superman to lead by example and only intervene when there is no other viable option.
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-12-2018 at 05:20 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    This.

I too believe that Superman would be more restrained and be more of a symbol of hope and an inspiration to people to be their better selves, rather than some benevolent God imposing change. But I do believe that Clark Kent can take on a more activist role if necessary. That doesn't have to be a partisan one - mind you. I personally don't see Clark being an advocate of either the right or the left. But I do see him being someone who fights for the rights of individuals, who fights systemic corruption, who brings to light the plight of the underprivileged and vulnerable.
    But what about people who have a belief system that serves the powerful over the powerless, should Superman worry about offending those people? To me Superman has a lot of social capital, a lot of people would respect his opinion. But muckraking journalism doesn't mean much any more, someone can just say ''that's fake news'' ignore Clark Kent's stories and log on to Lex Corp's ''Real News'' website. Its not the 40s anymore, one news paper is not going to have much of an effect in today's media landscape.

Sometimes on an issue, you have to take a stand, otherwise you seem weak and ineffective, which make Superman look like some pathetic PR man who doesn't want to offend anyone. Back in the 40s radio show, Superman took on a KKK style group, people back then could say that was partisan.

If Superman doesn't stand for anything, he stands for nothing. Superman doesn't have to be a dictator to be an agent of change, that's a false choice.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    But what about people who have a belief system that serves the powerful over the powerless, should Superman worry about offending those people? To me Superman has a lot of social capital, a lot of people would respect his opinion. But muckraking journalism doesn't mean much any more, someone can just say ''that's fake news'' ignore Clark Kent's stories and log on to Lex Corp's ''Real News'' website. Its not the 40s anymore, one news paper is not going to have much of an effect in today's media landscape.

Sometimes on an issue, you have to take a stand, otherwise you seem weak and ineffective, which make Superman look like some pathetic PR man who doesn't want to offend anyone. Back in the 40s radio show, Superman took on a KKK style group, people back then could say that was partisan.

If Superman doesn't stand for anything, he stands for nothing. Superman doesn't have to be a dictator to be an agent of change, that's a false choice.
    If there's one thing about Superman that's been consistent, across decades, editors, and writers, it's that he sides with the powerless.

Always.

It's why when people he's not cool I get annoyed.

Anyone who "wants to make the world a better place" is an agent of change.

Whether their efforts pay off or not may be another matter, but Superman is not, and has never been, an agent of the status quo.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I don't understand it. I can only imagine that in the most absurd way

"Superman, she called the cops and I was just coming up to give her a newspaper!"
    "Well let's start by lowering our voices, son."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    If there's one thing about Superman that's been consistent, across decades, editors, and writers, it's that he sides with the powerless.

Always.

It's why when people he's not cool I get annoyed.
    I think Superman would have to make some choices that would be considered partisan if he sides with the powerless, that is unavoidable.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

With his current power level, I prefer Superman's current role as an example to humanity to strive for. Anything more strikes me as a step too far, although I like that Bendis is exploring the issue.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    With his current power level, I prefer Superman's current role as an example to humanity to strive for. Anything more strikes me as a step too far, although I like that Bendis is exploring the issue.
    But how is Superman voicing his opinion on something "going too far?" How can he be an example if he does not stand for anything concrete?

But how is Superman voicing his opinion on something "going too far?" How can he be an example if he does not stand for anything concrete?
    This is something I've thought a lot about myself. "Hope" is often used as a feel good term that doesn't accurately flesh Supes out. What does Superman "hope" for? What examples is he setting? Using his powers to help humanity certainly, but could there be more? That's what Bendis seems eager to explore. I don't believe in the false dichotomy that Supes can only be an observer or a dictator, but that excuse, like Batman's "if I kill the Joker I'm as bad as the Joker" is simply used to maintain the DC status quo and help sell comics. I'm still waiting for the Elseworld that really explores all that a benevolent Superman could do.

However you only need to look at recent history to see where well-intentioned but ill-planned interventions by powerful forces can lead. And that's all I'll say on the matter.
    Last edited by RepHope; 07-12-2018 at 09:14 PM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Superman's entire existence would be heavily political.

With regards to ongoing DCU stories, I think there's a balance to be struck. The world needs to somewhat resemble our own.

It is like asking are you "Conservative" or "Liberal"- Why not Both - Status Quotation and Agent of Change~

I know, most people like to categorize (label) things, and people because it makes it easier for them to identify. In doing so, however, you can make yourself to inflexible and un-yielding to see the otherside, it is better to let the situation at hand determine the proper action to take, and Superman is the "Man of Action"!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Superman's entire existence would be heavily political.

With regards to ongoing DCU stories, I think there's a balance to be struck. The world needs to somewhat resemble our own.
    That's the mandate for both of the Big Two, and the real reason stuff never changes. It's why I think any deeper examination of what Supes can do is better off being an Elseworld.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

He does stand for something concrete: Altruism. His every act of heroism and compassion inspires more and more people to do likewise. He can certainly express his opinions and point of view, but I think he understands the value of remaining a neutral party, so he chooses his words carefully as most rational public figures do.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't think he should ever be a neutral party. He's the enemy of oppression. He'll fight it anywhere.

You just need to be creative in how you approach things in his world, so you don't run the risk of having Superman completely change the fundamental basis of society...which is what he would do.

Superman should be an activist for basic decency, for the oppressed, and for the common man.

I am okay with DC having to present an unrealistic world in order to keep those activities non partisan.