Default What's Noh-Varr's Current Status

I checked Wikipedia but couldn't get a sense of whether he's being used these days. Given that he's not in 616, I guess it's easy for him to be cycled out as Marvel focuses more on Carol Danvers.

Am I correct in understanding that Noh-Varr was the last person to sport the Captain Marvel name before the honor fell to Carol?

He was last seen in the ROYALS book (part of the INHUMANS line). Got a new outfit or two.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    Am I correct in understanding that Noh-Varr was the last person to sport the Captain Marvel name before the honor fell to Carol?
    That is correct. And besides the already mentioned Royals book, I believe he was teased (with his Protector look) in a variant cover for West Coast Avengers #1, although it's unclear whether he is appearing in the story or if it's just an easter egg for the variant.

Incredible Member

I became a fan of Noh Varr after reading Young Avengers.

From my understanding, he was:
    1. introduced as declaring war on earth
    2. Re introduced in Civil War issue
    3. Essentially took on the mantle of Captain Marvel (around Secret Invasion time period)
    4. Fell in with the Dark Avengers but once he discovered they were villains, got a costume and name change to something else.
    5. In next Avengers event, betrayed the Avengers to a brain washed resurrected Captain Marvel (and I think lost his costume and name change)
    6. Seen in Young Avengers with Hawkeye (Kate) as Marvel Boy
    7. After that, it seems he became lumped in with the Inhumans (due to Kree connection). Like previous poster said, was in the Royals series.

I believe he's been referred to as Marvel Boy or just Noh Varr in the Inhumans. He was in most of the major Inhumans arcs up till the most recent arc (Death of the Inhumans, which seems more focused on Black Bolt)

I'd like to know as well, he should be on a team somewhere.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

1. introduced as declaring war on earth
    2. Re introduced in Civil War issue
    3. Essentially took on the mantle of Captain Marvel (around Secret Invasion time period)
    4. Fell in with the Dark Avengers but once he discovered they were villains, got a costume and name change to something else.
    5. In next Avengers event, betrayed the Avengers to a brain washed resurrected Captain Marvel (and I think lost his costume and name change)
    6. Seen in Young Avengers with Hawkeye (Kate) as Marvel Boy
    7. After that, it seems he became lumped in with the Inhumans (due to Kree connection). Like previous poster said, was in the Royals series.

I believe he's been referred to as Marvel Boy or just Noh Varr in the Inhumans. He was in most of the major Inhumans arcs up till the most recent arc (Death of the Inhumans, which seems more focused on Black Bolt)
    Yeah, he's usually Marvel Boy, but had a brief run as Captain Marvel in the Dark Avengers (it was after this that he became Protector, but he was back to Marvel Boy by the time he joined the Young Avengers). The heroic Captain Marvel at that time was a Skrull impersonator of Mar-Vell, who had his own mini around the time of Secret Invasion. Then the mantle became dormant until Carol took it on.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Thanks for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by lefthanded View Post

The connection is actually deeper than merely that - Noh-Varr comes from an alternate Universe where the Kree essentially ARE the Inhumans! All Kree in that world have enhanced powers - their entire world is saturated with Terrigen, falling out of the sky in rains.

In that Universe, I suspect the Kree never had the need to create Inhumans to continue their culture and evolution, because the same block that prevents them from evolving further, does not exist. (anyone who's read royals can feel free to correct me - I'm merely going by the original Marvel Boy miniseries by grant morrison)

Marvel should give him a bigger push or at least make him appear regularly somewhere. He's one of their best LGBTQ characters.
    I would like to see him as one of the main Avengers again, or even a new version of the Ultimates or FF alongside Blue Marvel, Spectrum and Toni Ho (yes, they'd be a more progressive take on the F4 and Noh-Varr would be the Johhny type).

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

He was just in Royals where Plex became the new Supreme Intelligence. I believe that change was referenced in another book recently, but I'm drawing a blank on which one.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ouroboros View Post
    I checked Wikipedia but couldn't get a sense of whether he's being used these days.
    Check these out.

Marvel Boy (Marvel)(08 - Noh-Varr) - Chronological Listing
    http://www.comicbookdb.com/character_chron.php?ID=4783

http://www.comicbookdb.com/search.ph...type=Character

Marvel Boy | Marvel Database
    http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Marvel_Boy
    Last edited by mace11; 07-14-2018 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Marvel should give him a bigger push or at least make him appear regularly somewhere. He's one of their best LGBTQ characters.
    It's debatable how much of an LGBTQ character he is. Gillen certainly left the door open for that interpretation, but it was never brought up again, so it's hard to tell.

But yes, I would love a bigger Noh-Varr push. I mean, he is a Captain Marvel legacy, so there is definitely more stuff they could be doing with him. And after Royals, I think he proved himself to be a pretty useful character for cosmic stories. He definitely should be more involved in Kree stories that happen in the MU. And with the Cap. Marvel movie coming up, those stories are definitely bound to happen both in the movies and in other media.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    It's debatable how much of an LGBTQ character he is. Gillen certainly left the door open for that interpretation, but it was never brought up again, so it's hard to tell.

But yes, I would love a bigger Noh-Varr push. I mean, he is a Captain Marvel legacy, so there is definitely more stuff they could be doing with him. And after Royals, I think he proved himself to be a pretty useful character for cosmic stories. He definitely should be more involved in Kree stories that happen in the MU. And with the Cap. Marvel movie coming up, those stories are definitely bound to happen both in the movies and in other media.
    Someone brought up the idea Death of the Inhumans was a way to build up a new Kree/Skrull war while I don't believe that is happening (I think DoI is all happening in Black Bolt's nightmare) if it is the him playing a role in the new war would have a strong possibility either helping the Kree empire or remembering AvX and trying to stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    Someone brought up the idea Death of the Inhumans was a way to build up a new Kree/Skrull war while I don't believe that is happening (I think DoI is all happening in Black Bolt's nightmare) if it is the him playing a role in the new war would have a strong possibility either helping the Kree empire or remembering AvX and trying to stop it.
    I don't see DOTI specifically leading to a second Kree/Skrull War, BUT I wouldn't oppose the idea of another war happening at all. I think it could be a great story, if no other reason than at least because it could bring some of my favorite characters back to the spotlight, specially Hulkling.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I don't see DOTI specifically leading to a second Kree/Skrull War, BUT I wouldn't oppose the idea of another war happening at all. I think it could be a great story, if no other reason than at least because it could bring some of my favorite characters back to the spotlight, specially Hulkling.
    Maybe follow an Annihilation style of telling Prologue, then 4 minis Hulking = neutral, Noh-varr = Kree, Jazinda = Skrull, ???? = outsider, then the actual event.