Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Anyone else think Sins Past should be retconned?

Personally speaking, I think it's an abomination. It was simply a slap in the face to have Peter's first true love, and one of the most important love interests in comics, cheat on him, sleep with his arch-nemesis (who was also Gwen and Peter's best friend's Father!) and secretly carry his babies. And with One More Day, and all the things they retconned, the one thing they didn't do was retcon that! Anyway, I was just wondering how everyone else felt about it.

More eldritch than thou Venomous Mask's Avatar

Maybe, but they should not do it in a manner similar to OMD which puts Spiderman in an inappropriate context (making deals with demons) and does not screw around with the rest of the canon.

Maybe.

One problem with it now is that a retcon will be difficult, especially if the point is to demonstrate that the actions were not in-character for Gwen Stacy.

Marvel had a lost opportunity during Secret Invasion since they could established it was all part of a Skrull plan. Since then, Norman's made references to it, which requires more details to explain away.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

No, it should not be retconned. I maybe the only one on the planet, but I liked the story. I think it should be intergated into the Spider-Man mythos more rather than be ignored.
    Stay Calm. Carry Guns.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Marvel had a lost opportunity during Secret Invasion since they could established it was all part of a Skrull plan
    It's not as if this has'nt happened before either...Johnny and Alicia/Lyja anyone?

Since a retcon seems impossible, I'd settle for them just ignoring it and NEVER bringing it up again. Not even as a joke in Spider-Gwen's book.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetah View Post
    Since a retcon seems impossible, I'd settle for them just ignoring it and NEVER bringing it up again. Not even as a joke in Spider-Gwen's book.
    I agree with this.

Sarah and Gabriel are still out there, so some writer could bring them back. Otherwise, I don't see a reason for any of it to be revisited. Unlike many, I don't think the story sullied Gwen Stacy's legacy.

Mighty Member

It's the worst Spider-Man story in existence, so yes, it should be retconned. It doesn't make sense on any level, either from a character or timeline perspective, and completely ignores things like Arthur Stacy and his kids. Even JMS was gonna retcon it.

And retconning it isn't even that hard because, as mentioned previously, the story doesn't make any sense, so you can jump onto any one of the problems in that story to make it crumble. The only hump at all is Mary Jane and her version of events. But even that has multiple solutions. Gwen could have lied to protect someone else. The memory could have been falsified in Mary Jane's head (wouldn't be the first false memory). If you want to throw Mary Jane under the bus you could say she made the whole story up out of jealousy and anger at Peter's obsession (for the record, I am against this last one but it would still work).

It's, as the first poster called it, an abomination. A mismash of laziness and flippancy that is a stain upon the entire franchise and must be eliminated for the sake of legacy, decency, and all of writing.

Actually retconning it means acknowledging it, in a sense. Marvel is doing just fine drawing no attention to it and basically pretending like nothing ever happened.

Personally I find it too be an easy fix. Though I do find it darkly amusing JMS wanted to retcon this but Quesada said no. At least that's what I've heard.

Well, yes. I think most people would agree on that.
    It's not THAT hard to do it, either.
    This story is just... disturbing, uugh.

Or that.

Quote Originally Posted by MASTER-OF-SUPRISE View Post
    Personally I find it too be an easy fix. Though I do find it darkly amusing JMS wanted to retcon this but Quesada said no. At least that's what I've heard.
    JMS's plan was to have Mephisto change history so that Harry Osborn never got addicted to drugs, which would have prevented Gwen Stacy from ever bonking Norman Osborn. And also dying.

If your objection to Sins Past is what it said about Gwen's character, JMS's retcon changed nothing. It wouldn't change what she's capable of under the wrong circumstances.

Quesada had plenty of other reasons to veto JMS's plan, given the effects of Gwen's death on the Marvel Universe.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    JMS's plan was to have Mephisto change history so that Harry Osborn never got addicted to drugs, which would have prevented Gwen Stacy from ever bonking Norman Osborn. And also dying.

If your objection to Sins Past is what it said about Gwen's character, JMS's retcon changed nothing. It wouldn't change what she's capable of under the wrong circumstances.

Quesada had plenty of other reasons to veto JMS's plan, given the effects of Gwen's death on the Marvel Universe.
    Yeah, I'm actually glad that JMS's retcon didn't happen because it would have invalidated even more history. It's hard to give props to Quesada because I so vehemently disagree with him invalidating the most important aspect of Peter's life, but at least he prevented it from going that far back.

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

I have no doubt that if Spider-Gwen becomes a long run series that it will poke fun at Sins Past.