Thread: The Status Quo

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Extraordinary Member

Default The Status Quo

As most of us know, many readers prefer the 'status quo' when it comes to their favorite characters, but do you think that writers/editors prefer that as well? Also, do you think that's when the most classic and truly memorable stories occur?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

A status quo has no place in something that is not an infinitely ongoing corporate property.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    A status quo has no place in something that is not an infinitely ongoing corporate property.
    What if it is an infinitely ongoing corporate property, though? It's just that I see so much clamoring for the status quo whenever anything changes, but I can't help but wonder if that's what the best stories come out and if the creative team at the time aren't really bored out of their minds having to retread the same old territory.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    What if it is an infinitely ongoing corporate property, though?
    Then they're a necessary evil that is annoying enough that I largely gave up on them.

It wouldn't be so bad if they actually stuck to their status quo, but instead they want this "illusion of change", which is just actual real change with a reset button crudely bolted on it.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    What if it is an infinitely ongoing corporate property, though? It's just that I see so much clamoring for the status quo whenever anything changes, but I can't help but wonder if that's what the best stories come out and if the creative team at the time aren't really bored out of their minds having to retread the same old territory.
    I'm going to disagree with your statement that the best stories come out by when maintaining the status quo. Marvels, Age of Apocalypse, Death of Superman, Kraven's Last Hunt to rattle off a few pushed the status quo. There were also great stories that maintain the status quo. In no way can you simply make a blanket statement.

A few months ago, there were two threads. In one, every person was pining for Eddie Brock to be Venom, in the other no one wanted Eddie Brock to be Venom. While yes, some people clamor for a sameness to their comic. Others embrace the differences. Some people pine for the past, others are contest with the future. Everyone likes something. The hard part is not bashing something you don't like that other people do.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I'm going to disagree with your statement that the best stories come out by when maintaining the status quo. Marvels, Age of Apocalypse, Death of Superman, Kraven's Last Hunt to rattle off a few pushed the status quo. There were also great stories that maintain the status quo. In no way can you simply make a blanket statement.

A few months ago, there were two threads. In one, every person was pining for Eddie Brock to be Venom, in the other no one wanted Eddie Brock to be Venom. While yes, some people clamor for a sameness to their comic. Others embrace the differences. Some people pine for the past, others are contest with the future. Everyone likes something. The hard part is not bashing something you don't like that other people do.
    Actually, I was arguing the opposite. I really don't think maintaining the status quo leads to better or more memorable stories in the least. I mentioned how Daredevil's status quo tended to get blown up every 20 issues or so and I loved that. Peter David's Hulk run is another example. During that epic run, so much happened to shake things up that it was hard to keep track! And every one of those stories is one worth reading, imho.