Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Status Quo

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Here's the thing - you might not want to write from that point but others might.
    True, all it takes is a conversation or two with the previous writer to get this going. Not to make another DD reference, but like when Brubaker picked up right where Bendis left off with DD in prison. That was just about a perfect transition as one could ask for.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Yeah, the first one that popped into my mind was Frank Miller and David Mazzuchelli's "Born Again" which pretty much blew up Daredevil's status quo. Or also with Daredevil, when Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev outed DD.

Now while I'm enjoying it, IDK, something just seems rather...ordinary now that literally the only person who's in on his secret is Foggy.
    I think part of it also depends on what you mean by status quo, because for me, Born Again was all about drilling Matt down to his very core, which was a flawed man that, despite all the adversary and tragedy he had faced in his life, would never give up fighting to keep his city safe and protecting the little guy. This has been a part of the character since the beginning.

Also, I am not sure if this is also what you meant, but I think status quo can also apply to the tone of a book. Keeping with Daredevil, I am someone that loves the Miller/Bendis runs as much as the Waid run and they are tonally very different. As I understand it there was some backlash from Daredevil fans because Waid's run didn't fit with the status quo when it came to tone.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    True, all it takes is a conversation or two with the previous writer to get this going. Not to make another DD reference, but like when Brubaker picked up right where Bendis left off with DD in prison.
    That was the other way round. Bendis put him in prison because Brubaker wanted to start there.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That was the other way round. Bendis put him in prison because Brubaker wanted to start there.
    In some ways, that's even better. I dont claim one writer should be handcuffed by another, but some coordination is helpful.

Extraordinary Member

Per there discussion, yes. I remember reading how excited they both were about the proposition.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    In some ways, that's even better. I dont claim one writer should be handcuffed by another, but some coordination is helpful.
    Exactly, which is just another reason it was such a brilliant move.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Status Quo is interesting. While back then Superman dying and Jason Todd dying was shocking..... nowadays I'm surprised everyone gets into a uproar every time there's some new change. People should have known that Spider-Man was going to eventually recover his body, Thor was going to come back, and any popular dead character like Wolverine and Hulk were going to come back sooner or later. The thing is, shut up, don't complain, and enjoy the stories they're trying to tell. You know things will revert to normal. Parker went from being a millionaire with his own company to losing it all and being back to being poor. They should have had the balls to marry Batman and Catwoman, because status quo would have eventually reset things back to normal, but let's at least enjoy the stories in the meantime. And people never learn. Tomorrow they'll announce some big change towards 'insert favorite character here' and people will be back in an uproar again.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    The thing is, shut up, don't complain, and enjoy the stories they're trying to tell. You know things will revert to normal.
    Things turning back to normal is what half the complaining is about, and why I largely why am out of current superhero comics.

What is so interesting about the status quo?

BANNED

I wonder if anyone will read a story where the narrator is undergoing a breakdown or has become psychotic so that everything is go but you are never sure what is or isn't happening or is really factual. of course it has worked for mister miracle but will it work if Tom king had Batman trying to commit suicide early in the narrative and going further from there with the question remaining house he really committed suicide is near death or survived it and was it because he was suffering from depression or was it due to a villains manipulation or was there some deeper reason behind the events of the narrative. Wonder how it would have been received.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRodriguez09 View Post
    Status Quo is interesting. While back then Superman dying and Jason Todd dying was shocking..... nowadays I'm surprised everyone gets into a uproar every time there's some new change. People should have known that Spider-Man was going to eventually recover his body, Thor was going to come back, and any popular dead character like Wolverine and Hulk were going to come back sooner or later. The thing is, shut up, don't complain, and enjoy the stories they're trying to tell. You know things will revert to normal. Parker went from being a millionaire with his own company to losing it all and being back to being poor. They should have had the balls to marry Batman and Catwoman, because status quo would have eventually reset things back to normal, but let's at least enjoy the stories in the meantime. And people never learn. Tomorrow they'll announce some big change towards 'insert favorite character here' and people will be back in an uproar again.
    I feel like people don't want to learn from it and would rather be angry.

Extraordinary Member

Things turning back to normal is what half the complaining is about, and why I largely why am out of current superhero comics.
    I've been tempted to do the same, lately, tbh, but my love for some of the Big 2's characters keep drawing me back.

What is so interesting about the status quo?
    To an extent, I have to agree. I mean, now that Batman and Catwoman seemed to be in the perfect place in their lives, marriage would've been a fantastic step forward...but that didn't happen. Daredevil's secret id is back in the bottle and everything just seems rather...basic (and not necessarily in a good way).

I can see the appeal of having things be familiar, but I think forward progression (even if it is by tiny little steps) is important to keep reader interest.

Extraordinary Member

Honest question, here, has any truly great or memorable stories ever come out of everything remaining exactly the same? Because I'm really trying to rack my brain as to why current directions with certian characters seem to be such a big hit with certain fans and I just can't help but wonder...

...haven't we been here before?

wasn't Status Quo a Howard the Duck villain?