Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I'd rather it keep to its current shipping and have high quality artists which it does at the min.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Exactly. Marquez is drawing 16 hours a day for 3 weeks to make a deadline. It is insane.
    Absolutely. @Fokken's avatar reminds me of McKelvie's case. He already said he'll NEVER do a monthly again and he knows the pain in his arm will only go away when he retires for real. It's really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    If it does I hope it at least accounts for developments IE Logan's return and Laura giving up the Wolverine name. It's going to get kind of annoying if she's going by Wolverine in one book, but X-23 in another for an extended length of time.
    Unless they explain it. Maybe she's Wolverine when working for the X-Men but X-23 when doing her own wetworks stuff (Orphans of X, dealing with Alchamax, etc).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Tenebrae View Post
    I'd rather it keep to its current shipping and have high quality artists which it does at the min.
    I also agree with this. I know the pacing can feel sluggish for Red, but for me I think that's more to blame on the release schedule as I don't feel Red has paced any more slowly than anything else I'm reading right now.. I've enjoyed every issue that's come out at a minimum, so I'd much rather keep it this way than overwork the artist.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I do, too.

Someone said it wasn't sustainable. Rubbish! In the Claremont (earlier Marvel) days a monthly x-book was absolutely sustainable, successfully so, with the very occasional guest artist issues in between...and that was without a great deal of the high-tech art-tools available to artists now.

I think some readers have just become too impatient, spoiled on Marvel's excessive attitude towards shipping and money grabbing and quite frankly have nothing really better to do with themselves in between issues.

Nova bits were the best.

Jean and Gentle bits felt... mechanical for some reason.

I like that there was some actual talk of the plan.

X-Lantis? Really?

The obligatory "shut up, Gabby" comment.

I love this book but man is it so slow. #6 and only now is Jean trying to figure out how she got framed

Not sure why folks keep saying this. Double shipping and high quality art isn’t mutually exclusive, they could have two rotating high quality artists if they wanted to.

For the record I don’t mind it being once monthly and I don’t mind the pace. But I certainly wouldn’t complain if it went to twice monthly.
    Last edited by Grey; 07-18-2018 at 08:47 AM.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    That's pretty much it. I'm not reading Taylor's non X-Men work and there's no connection to the history of the franchise, so by me, all this kid represents is a potential punching bag for Namor. I'm sure it'll be a decent dust-up, but between that and the Atlantis base being only six issues old, I'm just not really feeling the stakes.
    I do agree the gut feeling is no stakes. But if this were always followed we would have no new villains or fights... just the same villains over and over. I’m up for some change now and then.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

I thought it was a good issue. It has some good character development for Gentle, some nice character interactions with the team, and we get a lot of hints/exposition about what's gonna happen next. Jean's plans, Cassandra's plans, the attack on Atlantis(and possibly Trinary/Gentle romance?). And while we already knew it, the revelation for Jean that Cassandra Nova is the one behind everything is important, and I loved their Cerebro talk.

And, the art. It's sooo good. Asrar is one of my favorite artists and I was sad to see him leave, but this is not a disappointment AT ALL. Everything(and everyone) looks amazing. I'd say this Jean even feels a bit more like my vision of Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I do, too.

Someone said it wasn't sustainable. Rubbish! In the Claremont (earlier Marvel) days a monthly x-book was absolutely sustainable, successfully so, with the very occasional guest artist issues in between...and that was without a great deal of the high-tech art-tools available to artists now.

I think some readers have just become too impatient, spoiled on Marvel's excessive attitude towards shipping and money grabbing and quite frankly have nothing really better to do with themselves in between issues.
    One difference is in previous times, art wasn’t doing as much of the heavy lifting story wise. There was a lot more dialogue since the art couldn’t tell the story as well. IMO the difference in dialogue makes a big difference in story pace.

Spectacular Member

I really liked this issue. I don't particularly have a problem with the pacing but I do agree it would probably be better served as a bi-monthly title. I don't know if that's possible but either it's not a big deal for me. I do enjoy the new artist, Carmen Carnero, a lot more than the last one though. Overall I like this over Blue and Gold, I'm excited to see where this goes.

Am I supposed to know who that was on the last page? Some kind of, fish hulk?

I don't know. This issue was probably the most mechanically well done, but still left a bad taste in my mouth. Things are still moving too slowly and all the moments away from the action are trite and trope-y. The "Your mutation limit isn't actually the mutation, it's your trauma" card must have been pulled as many times as the pet Sentinel by now. Gentle development is a big thing, the first such development he's gotten years! It shouldn't be something we've seen before, and probably shouldn't be something that turns the character into a generic strongman. Kind of misses the point.

I think Taylor has the writing chops for a big X-Men book, just not the imagination.

Seeing the massive cast opening the book made me feel a little sick. A lot of the problems can come down to this, I think. The book desperately needs streamlining. We're also getting a lot of interactions without depth. We get a Cassandra Nova monologue like every issue, yet there's been nothing new to learn about her or even any memorable turn of phrase to come from those since issue 1. It's just the Villain Being Evil Entertainment Hour. But it is a good issue. Good art, good dialogue. It is, however, ultimately forgettable, does nothing of real note and is taking too long to do so little.

I just don't think a book should be running out of ideas whilst it's still in its first arc.

Quote Originally Posted by akiresu_ View Post
    Am I supposed to know who that was on the last page? Some kind of, fish hulk?

I don't know. This issue was probably the most mechanically well done, but still left a bad taste in my mouth. Things are still moving too slowly and all the moments away from the action are trite and trope-y. The "Your mutation limit isn't actually the mutation, it's your trauma" card must have been pulled as many times as the pet Sentinel by now. Gentle development is a big thing, the first such development he's gotten years! It shouldn't be something we've seen before, and probably shouldn't be something that turns the character into a generic strongman. Kind of misses the point.

I think Taylor has the writing chops for a big X-Men book, just not the imagination.

Seeing the massive cast opening the book made me feel a little sick. A lot of the problems can come down to this, I think. The book desperately needs streamlining. We're also getting a lot of interactions without depth. We get a Cassandra Nova monologue like every issue, yet there's been nothing new to learn about her or even any memorable turn of phrase to come from those since issue 1. It's just the Villain Being Evil Entertainment Hour. But it is a good issue. Good art, good dialogue. It is, however, ultimately forgettable, does nothing of real note and is taking too long to do so little.

I just don't think a book should be running out of ideas whilst it's still in its first arc.
    I don’t think there is a traditional “arc”here, Taylor mentioned the first 12 issues being a complete story. I kinda like idea. But wouldn’t mind if it were twice monthly in getting to that endpoint.

I genuinely hate what Taylor did with Gentle..........