Default Zatanna vs. Classic Dr. Strange

Post Crisis vs 616. Arena.

TWIST: Strange is not allowed to fight back or go on the offensive in anyway. He needs to survive for 90 mins. Purely defensive maneuvers
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Dr. Strange casts Sphere of Silence (similar to D&D spell Silence 15' Radius) upon himself and then closely follows Zatanna around the arena.

I mean is Zatanna getting through the autoshields before Strange amps their strength ?

Cuz like, "shields that tank a supernova", is kinda out of Zatanna's pay grade.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

I think Zatana's best shot is to get esoteric and try to find some base Strange didn't cover or flaw in his spells she can try to unravel. Which doesn't sound preposterous given her skill but I have no idea if she could actually pull it off. If she did she probably couldn't do it twice.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I think Zatana's best shot is to get esoteric and try to find some base Strange didn't cover or flaw in his spells she can try to unravel. Which doesn't sound preposterous given her skill but I have no idea if she could actually pull it off. If she did she probably couldn't do it twice.
    I can buy Zatanna finding a way to unravel (good word) his protection IF he twiddles his thumbs. He does have the option of continuously modifying and amplifying and layering his defences while she works on them, and I feel he's going to likely be faster at doing that than Zatana takes down his defences, seeing as he's quite a bit more potent. And rather skilled himself (like, ridiculously).

He can also simply wave his hand and dismiss her spells, seeing as she is considerably weaker magic-wise than he is (and this is something he has done before, or taken spells cast by lesser mages that have ALREADY manifested or gotten onto him, and twisted them back on the caster...again, with nothing more than a casual gesture).

I guess it's possible she might get through to him, but it seems like a tremendous, uphill struggle against someone who isn't just passively standing there, but is actively bolstering his defences and countering what Zatana does.

Nice lightshow for the audience, though.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post

Nice lightshow for the audience, though.
    Really, this is the most important aspect to any Rumble ;P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Really, this is the most important aspect to any Rumble ;P
    Exactly. Even the Arena closes if nobody shows up anymore. Hmm, so as usual, economics beats even cosmic characters.
    Power with Girl is better.

Voice of the Authorities Cleric of Hell’s Brigade's Avatar

Honestly, this isn’t a knock against Z either. Z’s like better than 97% of other spellcasters in DC/Marvel/most fiction.

It just so happens Strange is in that 3% that are better than her, and that 3% tend to be much better power wise.

She’ll make him work at it, she’s not some mook, but he can just keep adding layers or modifying his defenses just as quickly as she tears them down. If nothing else he’ll out last her.
    Black Knight of SO
    Owner/Operator of SO’s Item/Weapon Shop
    Claimer of the original Rumbles 2,000,000th post
    CBR GM/DM

Has Zatanna ever run into situations where her spell doesn't work as in going, " You're spells stop working" [reversed] and the opponent just goes, "Ha ha. Nice try but nope"?
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Has Zatanna ever run into situations where her spell doesn't work as in going, " You're spells stop working" [reversed] and the opponent just goes, "Ha ha. Nice try but nope"?
    Every time she teams with Batman and her using her magic would mean it’s her who would get the winning shot and not him.

Her greatest weakness is that she isn’t Batman.

But then... isn’t everybody’s?

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    She may not have (outside of Beadle's explanation), but she's running into a mage here who has done the "Ha ha. Nice try, but nope" thing against lesser mages.

Zatanna is fantastically good, but here? She's the lesser mage.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Incredible Member

JLA, Circe turned Wonder Woman into a pig. Batman goes to Zatanna too try to fix her. Nothing happens when she tries to reverse the spell. Greater magic power trumps lower.