View Poll Results: Can Superman be a religion?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I idolize him already!

8 33.33%
  • No, he's just a man.

16 66.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can Superman be a religion?

I'm curious, what do you think? If he was real, I can see why some people would worship him. Basically, I kind of worship him too. I don't pray to him, but I see him as a great ideal. As someone full of compassion and kindness and everything wonderful. Kinda like Jesus.

This character was a great example and inspiration for me growing up. I never had a father, but Superman was always there in my life to remind me that we can be great people and what's right and wrong.

I can see his myth and legend continuing for many, many years to come.

Speaking as an Atheist, yeah, why not.

Generally though, I think worshipping anyone or anything is unhealthy.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I mean, no one can tell you not to if that's what you wanna do. Of course in the DC universe the character has inspired plenty of people very deeply, some taking his influence beyond his will.

As a friend or family member, I can personally say that the fictional world of Superman has occupied my time more than most real people. So in that sense I do feel like Superman is a friend.

Retired

I've had the idea for a very long time--actually since the end of 1978. At that time, I had taken a course on eastern religions and I applied some of the ideas from those religions to Superman and came up with a religion I called Supermanism. When I went to watch the new SUPERMAN movie, I applied those ideas to how Christopher Reeve portrays Superman and Clark Kent.

In a lot of eastern religions, it's about transcending the individual self to become one with the universe. Yet the self can defeat you in this purpose, as you start to think about your own wants and needs. So Superman uses Clark Kent as a way to achieve humlity, so he doesn't become too ego-centric.

I figured out a lot of teachings for Supermanism and I had the idea that in the DC universe this is a religion that takes hold in the far future. I imagined a story where Hal Jordan as Pol Manning visits a Supermanist church in the 58th century and reads the Revelations of John the Stewart--which would be a book purportedly by John Stewart after he had achieved Supermanist enlightenment.

Also there would be the Seven Sagas of Superman. These would be stories of Superman--from different continuities--that are revered by Supermanists in the future.

Mainly, I thought of this as just some funny gimmick that DC could use to promote Superman and generate more stories. But there was a time when I considered that DC could probably get tax-exempt status for Supermanism, just like other religions do. I don't think that anymore, but it is was an interesting idea to play around with.

If you read AN UNLIKELY PROPHET by Alvin Schwartz, he treats Superman like a religous figure--a tulpa.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah, there's plenty inside and outside of the story to interpret, with I guess the biggest inhibitor if it's played straight being the question, "why?"

It's kind of cool though that this is another reason it's worth digging into where Bendis is taking his current story.

If Superman was real, there would be a huge religion dedicated to him by now regardless that he didn't want it. If he started in 1938, by now, there would be divisions and breakoffs in the religion.

If someone went into remission from a horrible disease, they would proudly proclaim that Superman healed them and ignore that even Superman himself states that he doesn't have healing powers because that doesn't fit their beliefs.

I'm not talking about some little cult either. I'm talking about a religion to equal the world's largest religions although I think it would really take off only after the alleged foundation of it died or vanished from public life so people could create denominations proclaiming whatever they wish without the annoyance of their god saying things that contradict them.

Honestly, I think you would indeed have a holy war if someone like that really showed up on Earth with other religions despising it and people jumping over to the Superman religion and proclaiming "He's real".
    Last edited by Powerboy; 07-13-2018 at 06:45 AM.
    Power with Girl is better.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    If Superman was real, there would be a huge religion dedicated to him by now regardless that he didn't want it. If he started in 1938, by now, there would be divisions and breakoffs in the religion.

If someone went into remission from a horrible disease, they would proudly proclaim that Superman healed them and ignore that even Superman himself states that he doesn't have healing powers because that doesn't fit their beliefs.

I'm not talking about some little cult either. I'm talking about a religion to equal the world's largest religions although I think it would really take off only after the alleged foundation of it died or vanished from public life so people could create denominations proclaiming whatever they wish without the annoyance of their god saying things that contradict them.
    If he started in 1938, by 2018 I think it would be THE religion. Most of the current big ones likely would've shrunk in size considerably since it'd be hard to compete with a religion based around a living, breathing being that goes around saving the world every other Tuesday.

He can but I don't think he should be. There is a danger inherent in such a movement one not dissimilar to the events of Injustice only inverted if you will. Followers could easily start imposing what they feel is Superman's will or code of conduct upon nonbelievers "for their own good".
    Last edited by Celgress; 07-13-2018 at 09:39 AM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

Just a man, with a man's courage.
    No, nothing but a man, he can never fail...

..Oh, wrong hero...

Isn't this one of the critical plot points to Waid's The Kingdom?

Retired

Superman himself doesn't have any control over whether other people make a religion around him or not. I think there are enough stories set in the possible far future that indicate he does become a religious icon.

To quote Cosmic Boy, "the Spirit of the Last Son is a secular philosophy," but outsiders often see the Last Son movement through a religious light.

Obviously, this mostly applies to, you know, Cosmic Boy's era, and perhaps to real life - but not to Superman's own time. I'm quite sympathetic to the reality that Clark would be very uncomfortable being worshipped.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

The poll, if you don't mind my saying so, is a bit skewed by the answer options.

The question, "CAN he be a religion?" implies nothing about the answerer. One can say yes or no. I say that he certainly can be, even if he shouldn't be.

The answers seem to frame the question more as "is he your religion?". He's not my religion, but he is an ethical/moral touchstone of my upbringing.

Just had to mention that, hope that helps!
    Last edited by JAK; 07-13-2018 at 02:27 PM.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

If a cult can develop that worships Supergirl I guess there could be a cult that worships Superman.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I mean, in or out of the DCU he's pretty damn ridiculous. I don't think I'd personally (being religious myself) fault anyone for worshiping the guy that can--good lord there's so many examples--sing a dark god out of existence. In the DCU he's wrestled angels, moved planets, bested 5th dimensional beings, and lived to see the 853rd Century. He's also acknowledged as the conceptual focal point of existence quite a few time. Even among other heroes and kryptonians he's nuts. In the real world? If he could do even a faction of any of that? Yeah, I could see whole world regions that would gain hella traction.

But, we all know Clark would HAAAAAAAATE it--like with a passion hate it. That's the literal last thing he'd ever want in any situation ever, and I can only imagine that he'd do everything within his power to make sure no one worships him as a god or anything of the sort.

Edit: That's not even getting into how in All Star Superman Clark literally creates what is heavily implied to be this Earth lol
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-13-2018 at 03:47 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.