Default Nick Fury vs. Sydney Bristow

Nick Fury vs. Sydney Bristow:

1. Standard arena fight, except the only gear they each get is a 9mm semiautomatic pistol and one bullet.

2. Who would make the better spy in the real world?

3. Who is the better spy in their own setting?

Nobody? Okay, I will give it a shot.

1. Fury. While both characters seem to prefer HTH, I feel like Fury is going to be the better marksman. He has all that WWII combat experience, and he seemed to do more shooting as a SHIELD agent than Sydney did as a CIA agent. And if it came to HTH, Nick has got advantages in reach and upper body strength, though Sydney might be more agile.

2. Sydney. Fury's eyepatch would be a serious liability for field work, while Sydney showed quite a knack for disguises. In comics, Nick often goes with a latex mask for disguise, but I don't think that would play as well in the real world as it does in comics, due to the lack of facial expressions for the mask.

3. Too close to call. Nick isn't a spy so much as he is a very athletic gunman with a lot of additional training in HTH and certain spy skills. He is often about as subtle as a grown man swinging on a rope while shouting WAH-HOO! On multiple occasions SHIELD has been nearly destroyed by infiltrator and saboteurs. Sydney often executes more conventional spy activities like stealing secrets and infiltrating operations, but her professionalism is almost continuously compromised by inappropriate relationships with co-workers. In one season, she was part of a black ops team that consisted of 8 people, including a pair of half-sisters, their fathers, and their boyfriends.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

So, are we talking about Comic Book Nick Fury? The guy who leaps and bounds through automatic weapon fire, aim-dodging quite capably, while still putting holes in people? I used to collect Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD Volume II, and yeah, the guy regularly did solid comic book street level stuff while shooting people dead.

I'm having real problems seeing Bristol get the better of him in #1, unless she has some stellar feats of the same nature. I only watched a few episodes, and I don't recall anything of that sort.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Nick Fury wears the eyepatch due to being almost blind in one eye. He's stated in the comics that all he has to do for a disguise is take off the patch, put in a contact lens, and darken his hair, and everyone walks right past him looking for the one-eyed man.

I'm also going to back up Sharp on the action feats. The guy used to operate at almost a Nightwing level of agility... only with guns.

As for "certain spy skills" Nick Fury has made a habit of showing up unexpectedly in places with ridiculous amounts of high-tech comicbook security. The guy knows how to get in and get out without people even knowing he's on the same continent.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Nick utterly dominates in combat: he's a legit solid-tier street level guy who can dance through a platoon of dudes opening up with automatic weapons and kill all of them. He's not humiliated when

And he's definitely the super spy of Marvel, especially later on. He shows up in Avengers Mansion smoking a cigar, somehow winds up with the information off of high-end comic genius bad guys airspaced servers without a scratch on him, etc. Then he eventually, you know, makes himself into the Watcher.