Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Why no Tim Drake? Is it due to sales numbers?

I followed Detective Comics because Tynion added Tim Drake to the roster. I know Tim was a focal point in the entire storyline throughout that series, and received a open ended send off, implying that he was going to take his time out of Bruce's shadow. As far as I am aware there are no official announcements on what is next for him.

Every writer is welcome to use which characters they feel they can use to tell the story they want to tell (Eg. Tynion liked Drake and so included him; King is interested in mainly Bruce and Selina, with some allowances for Nightwing and Superman). However, it seems distinctively weird that Tim wasn't mentioned at all as pertains to Batman - Catwoman wedding. I get that there was a Joker throughline in the Prelude series. Suicide Squad movie has raised Harley's profile, and the connection with Joker is valid, but the fact that Harley Quinn bumped Tim from having an issue was odd. Jason Todd was included (even though he is kind of the black sheep of the batfamily) while Tim was not.

However, from a business standpoint, does Tim Drake not sell comics? I liked the Red Robin run pre-flashpoint (but don't know what the sales numbers for that was). Post flash point, Teen Titans was a horrible trainwreck and didn't sell very well. After that, he was essentially sidelined until Detective Comics.

I don't want this to turn into bashing other characters, but from a sales numbers standpoint, are Jason Todd (Red Hood and outlaws), Dick Grayson (Grayson, Nightwing), or Damian Wayne (Robin, teen titans, Super Sons) comic book sales numbers better than Tim's? Comparing the Teen Titans sales number is probably the best comparison, aside from quality. (The impetus for this post was the news that Super Sons is canceled, but that is likely due to Bendis and his direction on Superman, although I don't know how well that series sold)

I think it's just because they don't have a clear direction or idea for where to take the character.

Extraordinary Member

what is he suppose to do in this timeline
    forever 16 so his civilain side is limited
    and he has nowhere to call his on

Tim was truly screwed over by the New52.
    Anything that truly made him different/special was either erased or given to some other Bat-character instead.

BANNED

At least a few writers have expressed their desire to write the character. He is To´s favorite character and hed jump at the chance to draw him once more. His Red Robin sale numbers were better than Robins sale numbers during the DCYou. He has a big following, and you can tell many interesting stories with him that you cant with any other character in gotham.

I think it comes down to what to do with the character. He puts a few characters that are being pushed hard in a very akward position by merely existing. Some of his best stories couldnt have possibly happened in the current timeline.
    Also we have to take into account that the character is being used by Rebirth and the upcoming heroes in crisis, you cant develop the character until you resolve a lot of things that will get resolved later down the line.

As for him not being part of Kings run, the character was being used and off the game when they both happened so that explains that. I heard he did use him for a story in an alternate future or something, but he was merely a tech guy there, which im ok i guess, everyone was out of character anyway.

Oh boy, how do I put this. I’m just gonna come out and say it. Right now Tim’s a dead end. The Red Robin persona hasn’t really taken off, he doesn’t fit into things as comfortably anymore, and they don’t seem to really know where to go with him (so they just had him follow in the foot steps of others).

Now if they really tried could they change this, yes, but it doesn’t seem like that’s a priority right now. And what more, there doesn’t look to be anything to change that. If they’re lucky maybe people will get a Young Justice with him. But even with Young Justice, these days the Young Justice more people are probably familiar with is the one they saw on tv. A Young Justice Tim played a minor role in, and Red Robin had no role.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 07-13-2018 at 05:10 PM.

I am kind of surprised that there hasn't been an attempt at a Red Robin solo again, although I guess DC just isn't majorly invested in Tim and the only writers who want to use him are ones that actually care about him (like Tynion).

Granted, I'm also surprised we haven't really had a Robin solo in a while, though granted Damian is front-and-center in the Teen Titans and Super Sons books.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by thebluefeline View Post
    I think it's just because they don't have a clear direction or idea for where to take the character.
    This

They abandoned the more lighthearted and "relatable Robin who's just like you!" thing ages ago in favor of "angsty teen because his life sucks and everybody is dead but he's still Batman's heir apparent"... but Dick had a memorable run as Batman and many fans would very much prefer him be Batman for a while again, and Dick is also the former Robin who made himself into a solo hero. And Damian is Robin so Tim can't go back to that, and Jason is the more antihero one who, depending on the weather that day, will agree or disagree with Batman. If you want a detective book that'll sell you give it to Batman, but if you want a detective book that's more niche you could do Question or even something like Gotham Central.

I mean they could easily just toss out a Tim solo for the sake of it, but without a firm direction for the character it'll be middling and nobody will really care about it or at best basically a Nightwing book but with Tim.

Because Damian. It's too bad. Tim should be the main Robin.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    forever 16 so his civilain side is limited
    His personal life is part of what made his Robin solo so good. It was very Peter Parker in that aspect, the every man. No reason that can't be brought back. I've been catching up on New 52 lately and they really jacked him up. Tynion didn't fix all of it. Tim was always smart, but they took it too far and they took away the balance by making him arrogant.

I am a huge Tim fan, and I always look for him in the solicits every month, but I don't think we're going to see him until Heroes in Crisis. Then probably YJ after that.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I am kind of surprised that there hasn't been an attempt at a Red Robin solo again, although I guess DC just isn't majorly invested in Tim and the only writers who want to use him are ones that actually care about him (like Tynion).
    This interests me. Why they've not invested in Tim anymore?

The answer I can think of is because DC saw more money can be acquired by exploiting BATMAN HAS A SON NOW with Damian. Kinda like how they try really hard to forget Jason exist because THIS ROBIN IS NICE UNLIKE JASON with Tim. Once they have a new Robin, the old one is like, whatever, unless they find a new niche to fill, like Red Hood.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I am more than okay with keeping Damian as Robin.
    Tim did grow beyond that role, but his niche was squeezed out and the new "personality" they saddled him with for the New52 was a disaster.

Extraordinary Member

Tim should go to college

Ultimate Member

New 52 butchered Tim's whole generation.

It's not giving his stuff to others-it's management using his generation as a butchering ground for events.

A 10+ year nonstop of crappy stories.

BANNED

Tim has outgrown the role. He's outgrown the Red Robin role, too. Since he's light years smarter than Albert Einstein, Nikola Tesla, Isaac Newton, and Leonardo da Vinci put together, he doesn't even need Planet Earth. He should go live on the sun or something, because only the greatest thing in the solar system is worthy of his perfection. And good riddance, too. We have Dick, Jason, and Damian (just to include a FEW members of the Bat-Family) who are ALL (IMHO) better characters than Tim.