Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sanderling View Post
    I'd buy a book with that premise!
    They'll be out of shape because all they do is sit around plonking on keyboards and eating takeout pizza.

I think Tim could fill a Jessica Jones type roles in DC. Not attitude wise but as Private Investigator except with a little more cape stuff. He could probably work with Stef as a duo as well.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Neither tech nor investigation should be the focus of the character. The character should be grounded and trying to live his own life while doing whats right, no matter the personal cost.
    Tech and investigation are skills, he has an affinity towards them, but they are not the character. He should be a very introspective character, like he used to be as well. Meaning thought bubbles are a must.
    It worked for 20 years, it should work for 100 more.

Making a character to fill a niche is what you do when writing a group and having absolutely no idea what you are doing.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    I think Tim could fill a Jessica Jones type roles in DC. Not attitude wise but as Private Investigator except with a little more cape stuff. He could probably work with Stef as a duo as well.
    That would be very fun.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Mataza View Post
    Making a character to fill a niche is what you do when writing a group and having absolutely no idea what you are doing.
    Isn't that basically what we're doing? Trying to figure out what purpose and role Tim fills in the Bat clan?

And if any of us really knew what we were doing we'd be busy writing comics instead of writing *about* comics.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Isn't that basically what we're doing? Trying to figure out what purpose and role Tim fills in the Bat clan?
    That changes from story to story, so it really isnt important.
    Today he can be the tech guy, tomorrow he can be the jack of all trades, the day after that he can be the fighter. If the story is about him he could be all of it.
    What matters is keeping the voice of the character coherent and intact.

And if any of us really knew what we were doing we'd be busy writing comics instead of writing *about* comics.
    Thats a massive overestimation of most writers in the industry.

BANNED

Hey, that doesn't stop the industry hacks!

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Hey, that doesn't stop the industry hacks!
    You got a point! lol

Sometimes it makes me think I should send a submission out to one of the indies. I don't think of myself as much of a writer, but if some of these people can do it.....I can't be much worse than some of the guys with their names on covers.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What matters is keeping the voice of the character coherent and intact.
    Well, that's exactly it. DC is trying to figure out what the character's voice is, so it *can* be coherent.

And in the process of figuring that out, they have to consider Tim's surroundings. Which is the cave (or is it? Could he be successfully moved somewhere? Even deciding what the setting is develops who Tim is). Tim as a individual character and Tim as part of the Batclan are two sides of the same coin; figuring out one means figuring out the other.

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

You got a point! lol

Sometimes it makes me think I should send a submission out to one of the indies. I don't think of myself as much of a writer, but if some of these people can do it.....I can't be much worse than some of the guys with their names on covers.
    I think every young would-be writer should try their hand at it. How else can they break into The Old Boys Network? You're right--what could be worse than some of the drivel that's being published? A good start would be to enroll in Scott Snyder's writing class.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Yup, this is what I keep coming back to, but slightly less street level.

BANNED

Well, that's exactly it. DC is trying to figure out what the character's voice is, so it *can* be coherent.

And in the process of figuring that out, they have to consider Tim's surroundings. Which is the cave (or is it? Could he be successfully moved somewhere? Even deciding what the setting is develops who Tim is). Tim as a individual character and Tim as part of the Batclan are two sides of the same coin; figuring out one means figuring out the other.
    His voice was stablished a loooong time ago, there have been entire comics written around individual traits of his.

What you are talking about is what to do with him. Which is a good point, but they have no clue about what to do with like half the characters being published atm, and Tim definitely had a direction pre flashpoint, an interesting direction at the very least.

His voice was stablished a loooong time ago, there have been entire comics written around individual traits of his.
    And then DC lost their way with the reboot and for the last eight-ish years, Tim has been completely different. And now DC has to try to reconcile the Tim we remember with the Tim we have and get the character back into recognizable territory within the confines of this continuity.

I think it might be a matter of having to remember what Tim's voice is, rather than figuring out what it is in the first place......but either way, for a long time (and maybe even now) DC was clueless about what to do with Drake.

~ Black Panther.

Tom King should take him with Batman for a while.
    Pulling:
    Batman, Detective Comics, The Sentry, Mister Miracle, Venom

Quote Originally Posted by thefiresky View Post
    Tom King should take him with Batman for a while.
    Tom gave him a desk job. Tec stuck him next to batman and that did not help. He's got Heroes in Crisis. So Tim is still around.

Personally Tim is a character that I feel is too distorted at the moment to even put in a title. That's why Tec wasn't the big fix everyone expected. Tim's character has a ton wrong him . His back story, history and personal circumstances have been twisted to an extent that I don't even know who tis person calling himself Drake is.

That needs fixing 1st but while we wait we got jacked up rr in HIC
    Last edited by dietrich; 08-25-2018 at 12:06 AM.